Winterize - Again?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Winterize - Again?

Post by PSU4ME » November 28th, 2017, 11:19 am

I'm wondering if i need to winterize again and wanted to get some input.

1 - Yes, I thought my grass was done growing but apparently it wasn't. I "feel" (read no scientific knowledge) that some of the grass didn't grow but some cultivars did because its not all looking like it grew. I gave it the eyeball test which I know was wrong
2 - At any rate, I put the winterizer down on the 18th and there is some additional growth. The rate was 2lbs per 1k of 46-0-0 Urea.

Questions:
1 - Is it logical to think that the grass used some of the Nitrogen but stored the rest? I got a little bit of growth but nothing like i would during the growing season which leads me to ask this question.
2 - Since i can tell that it used some (maybe all) of what i put down (either in the roots or washing through), should I look to put down more? if so, at what rate?

I never really read what the repercussions were of a premature application but if there is a thread out there outlining the issues and possible avenues please point me to it and i will try to pull from there.

Thanks

GeorgiaDad
Grass Type: Frontyard: Award, NuChicago, Midnight. kbg Backyard: Mutt Fescue with a little Midnight kbg thrown in.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Winterize - Again?

Post by GeorgiaDad » November 28th, 2017, 9:10 pm

You should be fine. Getting a little growth after winterizer is normal.
I never really read what the repercussions were of a premature application.....
If you went too early while the grass was still growing. You would be out there mowing every other day going..."holy s***, what did I do? :rotfl:

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » November 28th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Thanks, this is my first year trying to properly winterize so I wasn’t sure what to expect

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » November 28th, 2017, 10:33 pm

I'm not buying that. Maybe it's true in Georgia, but that is not the case up North. When Nitrogen is applied to grass that has not fully stopped growing, it tends to force new tender growth - that's not good, it's a recipe for winter damage and/or disease. You may get away without problems, but it is not a good practice or bet. Additional Nitrogen may just pile on the mistake -- don't double-down on a mistake.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » November 29th, 2017, 12:22 am

Couple of things.

The only time the grass has grown again to require cutting in this our area was when there were significantly higher than normal temps for a period of time after growth stopped. I read about about it in the old posts. It doesn't typically happen here.

And as far as the result goes, how about you report back in Spring and tell us if it still worked or not despute the error. Mistakes can be good for data.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » November 29th, 2017, 9:08 am

I talked with Morph and he put his winterizer down a week before mine and when I put mine down I already had, what I think, was dormant browning already happening. Then all of a sudden I saw scattered green shoots coming up after input it down. Quite the tricky thing to catch during the window.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » November 29th, 2017, 10:16 am

Green wrote:
November 29th, 2017, 12:22 am
And as far as the result goes, how about you report back in Spring and tell us if it still worked or not despute the error. Mistakes can be good for data.
Yeah, this will be the real test. Hopefully after a few years I’ll get good at reading the lawn and stop fretting about things!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » November 29th, 2017, 1:46 pm

PSU4ME wrote:
November 29th, 2017, 9:08 am
I talked with Morph and he put his winterizer down a week before mine and when I put mine down I already had, what I think, was dormant browning already happening. Then all of a sudden I saw scattered green shoots coming up after input it down. Quite the tricky thing to catch during the window.
It can be really complicated. I have blades going brown from the cold at the tips, but it's still growing really slowly at the same time.