Advice for New Member in Northern California

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Advice for New Member in Northern California

Post by andy10917 » December 10th, 2017, 11:37 am

Andy I know you are hibernating for the winter, any chance I could coerce you into giving me some recommendations?
Sorry - but I can't do it for one but not others. Since you can still apply nutrients though, I'll let you know that you've got a Calcium shortage and that applying 9 lbs/K of good calcitic lime (Solu-Cal/Mag-I-Cal/Encap) now will fill in the gap until we start the interpretations in late January.

PS: remind us in late January - we are not tracking who is on the waiting list now.

Bearded4Glory
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass/Fine Fescue Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Bearded4Glory » December 10th, 2017, 1:42 pm

andy10917 wrote:
December 10th, 2017, 11:37 am
Andy I know you are hibernating for the winter, any chance I could coerce you into giving me some recommendations?
Sorry - but I can't do it for one but not others. Since you can still apply nutrients though, I'll let you know that you've got a Calcium shortage and that applying 9 lbs/K of good calcitic lime (Solu-Cal/Mag-I-Cal/Encap) now will fill in the gap until we start the interpretations in late January.

PS: remind us in late January - we are not tracking who is on the waiting list now.
I understand. I actually applied about 11 lbs/K of Encap yesterday so I am glad I didn't botch that too bad. Excited to see the new recommendation format in January!

Bearded4Glory
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass/Fine Fescue Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Bearded4Glory » December 18th, 2017, 3:59 pm

Ok, finally got some time to take pictures of some of the weeds (or maybe undesirable grasses) in my yard. I have Tenacity but I am hesitant to put it down since I do have a decent amount of fine fescue in my mix and it has been slow to establish. Can anyone Identify? Possibly nutsedge or poa? I am having a hard time lining it up with any of the photos I have found.

Thanks in advance and I hope everyone is having a nice holiday season so far!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » December 18th, 2017, 5:53 pm

At first glance, I'm going to say Poa annua.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » December 19th, 2017, 12:06 pm

A quick glance says Poa Annua (don't use "poa" as the short-form of the name - there are many Poa species).

If you suspect Nutsedge, there are a couple of tests you could try: (1) the stem below the blades feels triangular when you roll it between your fingers and (2) if you carefully dig up the plant, there will be nutlets as part of the root system.