2018: What did you do on your lawn today?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
mitten
Grass Type: Midnight, Diva, Everglade KBG, plus Fiesta4 PR and Zodiac Fescue
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Re: 2018: What did you do on your lawn today?

Post by mitten » May 8th, 2018, 1:14 pm

greenrebellion wrote:
May 8th, 2018, 11:45 am
Sprayed Tenacity last night to start the Poa battle and picked up 2.5 gallons of Serenade today so that I can start spraying that in a week or two as the warmth and humidity of summer approaches.
Did you find the 2.5 Serenade locally?

greenrebellion
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by greenrebellion » May 8th, 2018, 1:21 pm

mitten wrote:
May 8th, 2018, 1:14 pm
greenrebellion wrote:
May 8th, 2018, 11:45 am
Sprayed Tenacity last night to start the Poa battle and picked up 2.5 gallons of Serenade today so that I can start spraying that in a week or two as the warmth and humidity of summer approaches.
Did you find the 2.5 Serenade locally?
Nope, ordered it online.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » May 8th, 2018, 5:10 pm

Its been pretty warm and dry, watered in a 1/2" and applied my first app of Serenade at 2oz/K, no SO this time. Ill try to remember to not mix live things with dead things.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 8th, 2018, 5:48 pm

piscean wrote:
May 7th, 2018, 11:26 pm
HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
May 4th, 2018, 8:47 am
I've been a busy beaver this week.

I picked up 1000 lbs of Potash and DAP. Applied a little Potash.

Applied PGR & FAS.

Cut a few times.

Installed weed fabric in some beds and installed more double knockout roses.

Spot sprayed triclopyr.
Hello HLG can I know where did you buy potassium and DAP and what was the cost ?
First, I would recommend Sulfate of Potash ( SOP 0-0-50 ) over Muriate of Potash (MOP 0-0-63) as a source of Potassium. It's much kinder on your soil biology. I haven't seen a soil test posted for the area you're looking at, but a lot of our soils are alkaline, silt-based loams where you want to avoid raising the pH. In my experience, SOP doesn't raise it as quickly.

The reason I buy MOP instead of SOP is because it is much easier on my wallet. I treat over an acre so it saves me a lot of money.

http://shelbycountyco-op.com/

i buy in semi-bulk, so my prices are probably different. They sell per ton to farmers. BUT, I know (because they mentioned it) that they service some people that walk in with 5 gallon buckets. I don't know what they charge for a bucket - but I would guarantee you it's much less than the same weight @ home depot!

I pay from 18 to 20 some cents per pound depending on the market etc.

In the Ace hardware right by the door they have 40 lb bags of urea at a great price.

There are a bunch of crop production services around Noblesville, which is a lot closer to Carmel. You might try stopping in there with a bucket too - it's a lot closer than Shelbyville.

piscean
Grass Type: Tall fescue, K31 killed most of it
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by piscean » May 8th, 2018, 6:17 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
May 8th, 2018, 5:48 pm
piscean wrote:
May 7th, 2018, 11:26 pm
HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
May 4th, 2018, 8:47 am
I've been a busy beaver this week.

I picked up 1000 lbs of Potash and DAP. Applied a little Potash.

Applied PGR & FAS.

Cut a few times.

Installed weed fabric in some beds and installed more double knockout roses.

Spot sprayed triclopyr.
Hello HLG can I know where did you buy potassium and DAP and what was the cost ?
First, I would recommend Sulfate of Potash ( SOP 0-0-50 ) over Muriate of Potash (MOP 0-0-63) as a source of Potassium. It's much kinder on your soil biology. I haven't seen a soil test posted for the area you're looking at, but a lot of our soils are alkaline, silt-based loams where you want to avoid raising the pH. In my experience, SOP doesn't raise it as quickly.

The reason I buy MOP instead of SOP is because it is much easier on my wallet. I treat over an acre so it saves me a lot of money.

http://shelbycountyco-op.com/

i buy in semi-bulk, so my prices are probably different. They sell per ton to farmers. BUT, I know (because they mentioned it) that they service some people that walk in with 5 gallon buckets. I don't know what they charge for a bucket - but I would guarantee you it's much less than the same weight @ home depot!

I pay from 18 to 20 some cents per pound depending on the market etc.

In the Ace hardware right by the door they have 40 lb bags of urea at a great price.

There are a bunch of crop production services around Noblesville, which is a lot closer to Carmel. You might try stopping in there with a bucket too - it's a lot closer than Shelbyville.
Great information. I haven’t done soil testing. But most Indiana soils are alkaline as you mentioned according to Purdue uni. Thank you will try the crop production services in noblesville.

LawnDonut
Grass Type: (Front) Midnight and Bewitched; (Back) Northern mix

Post by LawnDonut » May 8th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Sprayed some kelp and humic acid on the lawn. Then I broke a lawn rule by watering the front lawn in the evening.

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG/NoMix, TTTF/KBG, KBG/FF

Post by Chris LI » May 8th, 2018, 9:18 pm

Put an edge on the blade; mowed front and back bagging at 2" with the poa laughing at me the whole time. I'm hoping to get some kbg spread cutting that low, but I didn't violate the 1/3 rule in most areas, since I've been on a 6 day interval for the last 3 mowings. I think the poa battle is lost and will make sure I get some PreM down in the fall. I don't think it's worth wasting Tenacity against my annual limit at this point. :banghead: I did however, violate the watering in the evening rule because it's been very dry and I didn't want my seeded areas drying out.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » May 8th, 2018, 10:37 pm

Continued watering in the front and side, including the front hill. I put down a good inch or more of water using impact sprinklers in the front. They're also pretty wind-resistant...love those things! The Hunter rotor I used for the side didn't do as well...the drops are smaller and the wind takes some of them.

Also spot sprayed Triclopyr on Tenacity-bleached weeds in the low-input area.

Reseeded some more former Triv patches in the front, and put down peat moss. Peat moss is messy to apply, but I love the results when seeding.

Talked with my neighbor about lawnmowers.

Another neighbor had "Chemlawn" come today. The guy spread granular and sprayed at the same time. It looked like Pre-M when I went outside to look at the ground...thankfully. Took all of 5 minutes to cover around 10K area. Not great coverage, but OK. He did fling some of it well into my yard...thankfully, it doesn't look like much of the pre-M hit my seeded spots.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG

Post by Marinegrunt » May 8th, 2018, 10:58 pm

Applied Tenacity at 1.6 oz/acre rate on some poa annua have growing. I applied the same rate about 4 days ago and it definitely made a difference as it all turned pretty white after about the 3rd day. I'm hoping this second application knocks it completely out but I'll probably need one or two more rounds. I read on here that multiple low rate applications was the way to go for poa annua but I didn't expect the results I got after the first app. I'm impressed!

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » May 9th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Put down my 3rd Tenacity App; I mixed it at the 2oz rate, and just added 1Tbsp/Gallon of BTS as a SO this time. I have been using more BTS, maybe that was effecting effectiveness of the Tenacity.

I did a blanket spray, but was much more deliberate and slowed down when I got to the POA infested area. I even overlapped those areas much more. Those areas probably got a higher dosage. I am just not getting a lot of bleaching and don't see a lot happening. I had to switch things up a little and try and figure out whats going on.

Green

Post by Green » May 9th, 2018, 11:05 pm

So, we're at that point in the year where Zoysia is now greening up in my area. The Forsythia are losing their yellow in favor of green.

Today, I continued watering in the front. Mowed low-input area. I had to mow some sections at 3.75 inches, and others were ok at 3.25. It was finally dry enough to able to walk/mow the entire area. I now have a lot of Poa annua in that area that was flooded for a few weeks, despite using Tenacity and/or Fall pre-Ms for the past few years and not seeing a trace of it last year. Time to spray another round of Tenacity...

For grandfather's lawn, watered seed areas, string trimmed, fixed the spreader (the non-drive wheel has fallen off due to a cotter pin wearing out), put down moss-out on the seeded area in the back, put down peat moss on many of the seeded areas, and re-watered.

fun4me2
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by fun4me2 » May 10th, 2018, 5:25 am

Mowed on Monday.
Weed pressure needed blanket spray.
Make note in lawncare journal how important pre-em is in late summer. :shock:

WBG applied with 1 gal. hand pump sprayer on 5,000 sq. ft. yesterday.

Ibuprofen and heating pad to back.
I'm getting too old for this.

Green

Post by Green » May 10th, 2018, 10:34 pm

Yesterday: also mowed hell strips at 3.25 in.

This evening: String trimmed. Then sprayed around a half gallon of milk (the 1% Pasteurized type) on the upper half of the side. Also bought my fertilizer for the final winterizing application. I accidently left the bag outside, and then went in to eat dinner. It started raining, and I realized it was outside. Thankfully, I think it's ok. One of my neighbors next door opened their sprinkler system this afternoon.

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » May 11th, 2018, 1:15 pm

We have a 1/2" of rain on the way tomorrow; mowed the lawn 2 1/2". Trying to encourage the KBG to spread, but not sure if it will do that with the Tenacity apps.

I know the POA was choking out the KBG, the POA that is struggling is slowly revealing small KBG underneath. Next tenacity spray is Sunday, a lot of the POA is still just there, and isn't bleaching that white/white I remembered it used to, but it does seem like some of it is yellowing and dieing.

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by DevilDawg81 » May 11th, 2018, 5:17 pm

Mowed and sprayed some patches of chickweed and clover

darkcrisis
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by darkcrisis » May 11th, 2018, 9:16 pm

I bought the Honda HRX-217. I got it home, sharpened the blades, gassed it up, and took it for a spin. Sprayed glyphosate over the fence to maintain the barrier between my lawn and the junk in the field. I sprayed the flowerbeds while I was at it.

I need to plant some flowers and mulch the flowerbeds but the kid wants to swim all weekend. That sounds like more fun.

Green

Post by Green » May 11th, 2018, 10:18 pm

Sprayed 2oz/Acre rate 2nd app of Tenacity on low-input area from far end to root marker. Finished string trimming. Then, mowed back, side, and main front. Back and lower side was at 2.75/2.5 inches, and upper back was the first mow of the year. Had to start raising the mower up to 3.25 in for side/front. Mowing in the dark isn't fun. I could barely see.

fun4me2

Post by fun4me2 » May 12th, 2018, 8:08 am

Mowed yesterday for 3d time this season.
Dropped Mag i cal also because weather guy said rain all day today. :good:

So far, only clouds and cool temps.
Checked the radar a little while ago.
Rain is going south of here at the moment. :o
Sheeeeeeeeeeeesh! :banghead:

edenl01

Post by edenl01 » May 12th, 2018, 9:58 am

Applied first application of fertilizer of the year. .5 lb of N per k.

__JT__
Grass Type: Northern Mix (20% each of Midnight, Diva, and Everglade Kentucky bluegrass, and 20% Zodiac chewings fescue and 20% Fiesta 4 perennial ryegrass) with Bewitched mixed into shade

Post by __JT__ » May 12th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Put down Scotts Grubex, mixed it with Milorganite for an even throw/coverage. Just beat the rain.