Pre emergent - Thoughts on Dimension

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Pre emergent - Thoughts on Dimension

Post by Casutherland » February 14th, 2018, 2:12 pm

Hello everyone, almost time to start a new season!

Just a quick question. I was going to pick up a pre emergent, and ran across this bag of dimension. What you are thoughts on this product? Is it pretty solid, or can I go in a cheaper direction?

https://www.amleo.com/dimension-pre-eme ... p/ADMDG50/

Thanks!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Pre emergent - Thoughts on Dimension

Post by Green » February 15th, 2018, 7:47 pm

The Andersons is an excellent brand. But, that's a pretty concentrated Dimension product. If you put it down at the rate listed on the web page for AM Leonard (50 lbs over 14.7K area), you're going to be putting down a rather heavy rate of Dimension. For comparison, this stuff (at 0.25%) has twice the concentration of the typical 0.125% Dimension Jonathan Green stuff sold in stores. So you'd need half the amount of product with the Andersons compared to the JG. Whether the price is good or not, really depends on how much it costs to ship it to you on top of the actual price.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » February 15th, 2018, 11:31 pm

Once again, a perfect illustration that it's all about what you get for the money and not the name on the bag. The total cost is either (product + shipping) or (product + tax) and how much AI you get. It ain't one bit about pretty graphics on the bag.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » February 16th, 2018, 9:23 am

andy10917 wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 11:31 pm
Once again, a perfect illustration that it's all about what you get for the money and not the name on the bag. The total cost is either (product + shipping) or (product + tax) and how much AI you get. It ain't one bit about pretty graphics on the bag.
In this case, this is a relatively expensive product but it doesn't include any fertilizer or BS. Is there a cheaper home depot/lowes route that I can go that will work just as well? Thoughts?

Green

Post by Green » February 16th, 2018, 3:46 pm

Depending on what your local HD and Lowes stock in TN, you may be able to find 0-0-7 Dimension there. There is a brand or two of that formula that has been carried by those stores in some regions.

In my area, they don't sell it...you can only get Lesco 19-0-7, so if you're looking for something without Nitrogen, you'll have to look at something like Jonathan Green brand 0-0-7 Dimension or go to a landscape supply dealer like SiteOne to get something equivalent. At landscape dealers, 0-0-7 Dimension in 0.1% or 0.15% strength tends to cost $20-35 for a 50-lb bag...so you can do the math...0.25% is 1.67x the strength of 0.15%, so if the price plus shipping of the product you linked to above is any more than 1.67x the cost of what you can buy locally, it may make more sense to buy locally.

Maizan24
Grass Type: Northern mix
Level: Novice

Post by Maizan24 » February 16th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Home Depot advertises a 0 0 7 dimension product but they don't sell it in the stores in my area that I know of. Maybe it's available where you are though. I used the 19 0 7 last year and it worked quite well. I was looking for a similar product for this year as you are but I may just do the same regimen I did last year and use the stuff with the fert. Still have a small bit left over anyway.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG

Post by northeastlawn » February 28th, 2018, 10:14 am

If you have a John Deere landscape dealer they might be able to order you some generic 0-0-7 Dimension.

The price I was quoted was $35 for a 50# bag.

Just be prepared to be sold the Dimension with fertilizer in it. They rather sell that, now that i know more about lawns, I am surprised so few places sell straight 0-0-7 Dimension.

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by kevreh » February 28th, 2018, 6:11 pm

I was just at Site One today. Looking at a quote of $25 for a 50lb bag of 0-0-7 with .20% Dimension.
Casutherland wrote:
February 16th, 2018, 9:23 am
In this case, this is a relatively expensive product but it doesn't include any fertilizer or BS. Is there a cheaper home depot/lowes route that I can go that will work just as well? Thoughts?
HD and Lowes will sell you Dimension with N in it at more money. Not a good way to go as others have said. If you can find a Site One (formerly John Deere) thats the best value. How many SF is your yard? I have @3k and the 50lb bag of dimension has lasted me 3 years so for. So, like $10 a year. 8-)

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » March 1st, 2018, 1:18 pm

Hey guys, so I actually ended up picking up a bag of Lebanon ProScape 16-0-8 .19% dimension bag from The Hogan Co. Its local to me so I figured I would go by, and they had it in stock.

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by kevreh » March 1st, 2018, 2:43 pm

Yeah just know that it has 16% N in it. Not the end of the world, but you've combined your pre-m with fertilizer. You can do a single application this spring (eg. in next couple weeks) or a split app, 1/2 now and 1/2 in may. Don't forget your fall application too.

Green

Post by Green » March 1st, 2018, 2:56 pm

^I agree with the split apps. It's a better use of Nitrogen, and might improve the pre-M effectiveness, too. 1.5 lbs/K of product twice, separated by 4-6 weeks should do the trick. If my quick calculations are right, that will result in only 0.25 lb/K of N at any given time.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » March 1st, 2018, 11:04 pm

I agree with the split apps. It's a better use of Nitrogen, and might improve the pre-M effectiveness, too.
That's a strong opinion, but it sounds like you're stating it as fact. Cool that you believe in it, but make sure you're not overreaching. Other approaches are just as valid...

Green

Post by Green » March 2nd, 2018, 12:45 am

andy10917 wrote:
March 1st, 2018, 11:04 pm
That's a strong opinion, but it sounds like you're stating it as fact. Cool that you believe in it, but make sure you're not overreaching. Other approaches are just as valid...
Very true. And truth be told, although I've done split apps some years, and they've worked very well, a single app has also worked just as well. I actually prefer the single app because it's less labor (spread and water once and then move on to more important things in the lawn).

Green

Post by Green » March 2nd, 2018, 12:49 am

Also, for the sake of the OP, instead of just typing "I agree with split apps", I probably should have worded it more precisely the first time...

Something along the lines of: "If you're trying to limit the amount of early Spring Nitrogen applied (which you may have valid reasons for), then split apps as kevreh suggested are a good strategy. I've done them in the past and been just as successful as with a single app...at least. But they do require twice the work."

We learn to be more precise as time goes on...

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » March 2nd, 2018, 9:36 am

So I actually went with one single app in this case. Put it out right before a good soaking rain. Yard has definitely greened up significantly here in Nashville, TN. Hoping that the Pre-M works as it is supposed to. I also noticed that this bag suggests it is a post emergence too? Any thoughts on that? I do not see any ingredients that would suggest that, but can someone see what I may be missing here?

Green

Post by Green » March 2nd, 2018, 12:26 pm

Ca: it's the Dimension. It has some post activity in theory. It's not clear to me if this really works at the rates most use.

Andy: Thanks for spurring me to clarify my point and practice being more precise with my reply rather than agreeing with just one strategy and encouraging groupthink.