Weed I.D. ... 2,4-D/Quinclorac/Triclopyr won't kill it???

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Ric Clint
Grass Type: TTTF Mix of Cochise IV & Bullseye
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Weed I.D. ... 2,4-D/Quinclorac/Triclopyr won't kill it???

Post by Ric Clint » April 25th, 2018, 2:05 am

I still have 2 particular Weeds that are in my Yard and have been there since about late February this year and I have sprayed them 2 different times with a custom mix of 2,4-D, Quinclorac, Triclopyr... and still don't see any effect for some reason. At first when I kept seeing them pop back up, I thought I may just be seeing some NEW ones sprouting up... but as I looked closer at some of the Weeds, I could still see some of the Blue Tracker Dye that I had sprayed on them the previous time (although the Rain had washed 90% of the Dye off, I could still see some traces of the Dye to see that some of these Weeds were still ACTUALLY the very same Weeds I had sprayed beforehand)!!!

I sprayed my Herbicide on 3-3 and again on 4-2. And here I am a couple weeks later with them still in my yard with slight traces of Blue Dye still on some of the leaves???

My mixture for Spot Spraying is per 1-Gallon of Water:
1oz ... 2,4-D (47.2%)
.5oz ... Quinclorac DF (75%)
1.5oz ... WBG Triclopyr (8%)
1oz ... Blue Tracker Dye

I'm wondering if I wasn't using enough Triclopyr or maybe that wasn't the problem at all... I'm just confused.

What are these Weeds and what Herbicides should I use to kill them other than having to paint every single one of them with Glyphosate? :(

The first 3 Pics are of the same Plant. These are attached in this post.
The last 2 Pics are of a different Plant. These will be attached in the following post.

Ric Clint
Grass Type: TTTF Mix of Cochise IV & Bullseye
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Weed I.D. ... 2,4-D/Quinclorac/Triclopyr won't kill it???

Post by Ric Clint » April 25th, 2018, 2:07 am

Thanks!

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » April 25th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Your first weed is a grass, a monocot, so spraying with 2,4-D and triclopyr was a waste of time. You're certainly going to need a positive ID on that one to know how to control it. You've got an inflorescence (seed head), so IDing shouldn't be too difficult. I suggest using NCSU TurfFiles.

Your second weed sure looks like some type of chickweed. Skip the 2,4-D and quinclorac and focus your attention on an appropriate application of triclopyr. Repeat again, if not twice more, at 14 day intervals.

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Pway » April 25th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Though to guess but the first one looks like Italian rye to me.