New sod now has tons of Poa Annua

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
uncle_al
Grass Type: northern mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

New sod now has tons of Poa Annua

Post by uncle_al » May 4th, 2018, 8:01 am

Last October I had several thousand square feet of KBG sod installed. This spring I noticed tons of Annua all over the place. It was not evident when the sod was installed or any time till this year. I know that Poa Annua goes to seed in the spring and then germinates when the weather cools off in the fall and then grows slowly during the winter.

So, my question is, could this sod have come with the Annua seeds or could it have come from my other lawn areas that have some Annua already growing?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: New sod now has tons of Poa Annua

Post by turf_toes » May 4th, 2018, 8:09 am

It might not be Poa Annua.

KBG is seeding now. You should try posting photos (including a closeup shot).

That said, Poa Annua germinates in the fall. So Poa Annua seed could have been dormant in your sod or even blown in from elsewhere.

But if I had to guess, I’d say it’s likely KBG going to seed. But no one can really say without seeing the plants themselves.

In the meantime, this picture should be helpful:

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 4th, 2018, 8:17 am

Timely post, TT!

For sure doublecheck it - the seedhead is the most obvious thing to me!

My KBG seedheads just started popping in, and some poa annua too.

glenforest
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by glenforest » May 4th, 2018, 8:33 am

Based on my experience, it's surely possible that it came in with the sod. My neighbor did a drainage project some years ago, and I allowed them access over my lawn. When the contractor was done, he re-sodded the neighbor's back yard, and my side yard. I said I would seed the ripped-up portion of the front myself so I could match the KBG I had there. Poa annua sprouted up everywhere the contractor put sod. None at all in the area I seeded.

uncle_al

Post by uncle_al » May 4th, 2018, 9:46 am

I looked at the seed heads and stalk and the ligule is present. So it is definitely annua. So, how or what do I say to the landscape company that installed it?

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » May 4th, 2018, 9:55 am

I am in SE Mass, not far from the original poster. The Poa is in over drive, the KBG is is usually later in May, especially with the late start in spring we had.

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » May 4th, 2018, 10:00 am

Just start reading the forums, tons of posts about POA. Your best bet is to pickup some serenade and read about the best time to go after it.

A pre-m in late summer keeps next years crop from ever coming up. Tenacity in the spring or fall kills the POA alive now. Tenacity is a pro level herbicide, you mix minute quantities and over spraying it can d a lot of damage.

After a few hours reading this site, you will realize there is no quick answer and that dealing with POA is something that takes a long time.

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Post by probasesteal » May 4th, 2018, 11:56 am

uncle_al wrote:
May 4th, 2018, 9:46 am
I looked at the seed heads and stalk and the ligule is present. So it is definitely annua. So, how or what do I say to the landscape company that installed it?
It's a common lawn pest.

I would let it naturally die this spring/summer and make sure you are applying pre-emergent in the fall (or late summer) and in the spring (late winter). Keep the pre-emergent barrier down so it won't become a regular pest.

The landscaper is going to laugh or blow you off.

I hate Poa annua...

uncle_al

Post by uncle_al » May 4th, 2018, 4:37 pm

The landscaper's lawn expert came out to look at the lawn. He was speechless!!! He didn't know what to tell me other than "we'll have to wait and see what the sod farm says. He walked around looking at it and just shook his head.

He agreed that the sod came with the annua last October when it was installed.

Said he's never seen anything like it before.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by PSU4ME » May 4th, 2018, 5:52 pm

It’s definitely in over drive. I was pretty strict last year about PreM but it didn’t seem to matter, patches around the yard. I’m going to hit with tenacity and redo my preM late July (I put down coverage through August).

I’d be interested to see what they will do. At a minimum they, to be nice, could come out and lay a thorough preM for you as it sounds like you’ll have a lot of seeds trying to ruin your lawn next year!