The triv is tempting me...

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
mooch91
Grass Type: KBG, PR, TTTF
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Experienced

The triv is tempting me...

Post by mooch91 » July 22nd, 2018, 6:23 pm

Hard not to act when the triv looks like this. It literally peels off the surface when the spots get like this. About half the patches have gotten like this by now. The remainder are still lime green with some brown and falling over forming an ugly mat.

I know I should resist, as any attempts at scraping it out and seeding are doomed to fail. But it's so tempting!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Re: The triv is tempting me...

Post by Green » July 22nd, 2018, 10:04 pm

Do it! Don't seed, but remove what you can. It'll only make it easier in the future.

CarolinaMatt
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by CarolinaMatt » July 23rd, 2018, 8:51 am

mooch91 wrote:
July 22nd, 2018, 6:23 pm
Hard not to act when the triv looks like this. It literally peels off the surface when the spots get like this. About half the patches have gotten like this by now. The remainder are still lime green with some brown and falling over forming an ugly mat.

I know I should resist, as any attempts at scraping it out and seeding are doomed to fail. But it's so tempting!

I have a good amount of spots in my yard that look exactly like this. I'm new to the cool season grass game... why do you not want to scrape/rake it up? That had been my plan with the spots, but I have not yet as I noticed a few sprouts of KBG (I believe) starting to show.
Thanks!

mooch91

Post by mooch91 » July 23rd, 2018, 10:11 am

From reading here, my understanding is that there are likely stolons still in the soil or in the adjacent soil that will eventually fill back in. So if I were to scrape and seed, the newly seeded area will likely revert to triv in short order.

Maizan24
Grass Type: Northern mix
Level: Novice

Post by Maizan24 » July 23rd, 2018, 10:34 am

mooch91 wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 10:11 am
From reading here, my understanding is that there are likely stolons still in the soil or in the adjacent soil that will eventually fill back in. So if I were to scrape and seed, the newly seeded area will likely revert to triv in short order.
Pretty much this. Triv is one tough cookie to get rid of fully. It's very tenacious stuff.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 23rd, 2018, 5:32 pm

I have ZERO love for poa trivialis.

My experience with poa trivialis is that Tenacity doesn't kill it. The blades of the triv may all die, but it will come back from the roots again during the next cool, wet season. (Been there, done that...)

After trying various approaches over the last few years, I now have what I think is a workable plan. This is what I did on patches in my front yard last fall. The poa trivialis has not returned in those spots. Here is what I did:

• Glyphosate all poa trivialis you can recognize, plus 8 inches beyond the perimeter of any poa trivialis you can identify.
  • 7 Days later, repeat the glyphosate treatment again on the same spots, whether it is mostly-dead-looking poa trivialis, or completely-dead-looking, or what looks like dead good grass. Basically, hit it all again, just in case!
  • After the glyphosate dries (or a few days later if I didn't have time yet), cut out the dead poa trivialis with a sod cutter. Get rid of this evil sod. (I dump it way off in the woods on my property, far from the lawn!)
  • Transplant in good sod (also cut with the sod cutter) from a "donor section" of my lawn.
  • Water the transplanted sod as you would a new sod installation and enjoy the fact that the poa trivialis was eliminated in just a week, and won't be coming back!
Last fall, I did the above with a rented power sod cutter, as I had another project which required the sod cutter. For the future, I'm planning to purchase a manual kick-type sod cutter.

For future battles with poa trivialis I'm setting up a section of my lawn which is less visible from the street and a good place to grow new grass from seed (actually, it's where I used to have a vegetable garden). I'm planning to call this section of my lawn "the sod farm" and will be setting it up so that it gets good watering from just 1 or 2 sprinkler heads, so that I can water it for seed germination in the fall without having to overwater an entire zone. This will be the "donor section" of my lawn, to be used to grow sod to replace any sections of the front lawn that are killed off and replaced to combat poa trivialis.

mooch91

Post by mooch91 » July 23rd, 2018, 8:37 pm

And time of the year is apparently important too ken-n-nancy. Mid-to-late Spring or Fall.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 23rd, 2018, 10:02 pm

mooch91 wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 8:37 pm
And time of the year is apparently important too ken-n-nancy. Mid-to-late Spring or Fall.
Good point. Yes, the poa trivialis needs to be actively growing at the time one sprays it -- spraying it when it's all brown as in your photos probably won't kill it.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » July 23rd, 2018, 11:22 pm

The blades of the triv may all die, but it will come back from the roots again during the next cool, wet season.
+1,256. The Hundred Years War had nothing on a battle against Triv, either.

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG/NoMix, TTTF/KBG, KBG/FF
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Chris LI » July 27th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Is triv that died off this summer, likely to regenerate during the fall?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 27th, 2018, 3:09 pm

Triv doesn't die, it goes dormant. And hell yeah, it roars back.

It is NOT an annual.

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 27th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Chris LI wrote:
July 27th, 2018, 3:07 pm
Is triv that died off this summer, likely to regenerate during the fall?
Yes. It didn't die from the heat and sun, it just went dormant. When fall comes, it will return with extra vigor -- it is amazing how fast it can spread!

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG/NoMix, TTTF/KBG, KBG/FF
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by Chris LI » July 28th, 2018, 1:13 am

Thank you. I'm pretty sure I'm joining the triv war (assuming my ID is correct). :duel:

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 28th, 2018, 9:36 am

Triv Wars can be won - got a spare decade?

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 28th, 2018, 2:17 pm

Chris LI wrote:
July 28th, 2018, 1:13 am
Thank you. I'm pretty sure I'm joining the triv war (assuming my ID is correct). :duel:
Sorry to hear that! It's not a fun war!

Yesterday, I found 4 small new patches of poa trivialias in the area over the septic tank that was renovated way too late in the fall of 2016: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20951&start=40#p296635

This doesn't surprise me too much -- it seems like I've been finding poa trivialis patches at the end of the 2nd summer after a renovation in all of the renovations I've done. I almost wonder if these patches are from poa trivialis that germinated as part of the renovation, but have taken 1.5 years to spread into a large enough patch (saucer-sized or bigger) for me to recognize it for what it is?

After yesterday's finding, I ordered what is hopefully a helpful weapon for our battle: a manual kick-type sod cutter from Quail Manufacturing: http://quailsodcutter.com

I'll probably post a review on its use after I get a chance to use it!

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 28th, 2018, 8:02 pm

Does anyone use Certainty anymore?
That and velocity are supposed to work against Triv and Tall fescue

mooch91

Post by mooch91 » July 28th, 2018, 8:25 pm

Wish I could find Certainty at an affordable price...

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 29th, 2018, 8:58 am

Certainty costs what Certainty costs. You're not going to find it for $15.99 at Home Depot -- ever. If you want to play with some of the tools the pro's, golf courses and sports arenas use, you have to pay for those products. It's just the reality of it.

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 29th, 2018, 9:23 am

One thing about certainty is I had good luck with it getting rid of some tall fescue in my last lawn.

However the lawn looks like doo doo for a few weeks after it’s not like wbg or tenacity the kbg definitely takes a hit but the result was worth it.

mooch91

Post by mooch91 » July 29th, 2018, 10:19 pm

Sorry, I meant to say Velocity. I don't think Certainty would work well on my northern mix lawn.