How to handle machinery impacts to lawn?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
mooch91
Grass Type: KBG, PR, TTTF
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Experienced

How to handle machinery impacts to lawn?

Post by mooch91 » August 31st, 2018, 8:24 am

All,

I'm having some hardscape work completed around my property. I knew there were going to be impacts to the landscaping and lawn. I'm hoping the work will be completed in a few weeks, and I can address anything that has happened before the winter sets in.

I am wondering if there is anything I should be doing each day/week when the work is finished to better preserve the lawn? The area being covered is too big to protect with sheets of plywood, so there are pathways of compression that are being created by the machinery, but it doesn't appear to be rutting or tearing up the grass, just matting it down. Should I be watering this to keep it alive? Trim it shorter or leave it longer? Leave it go and expect it will spring back from the roots when the work is completed?

Looking for some practical thoughts from anyone who has experience with this type of work.

Thanks!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Level: Advanced

Re: How to handle machinery impacts to lawn?

Post by andy10917 » August 31st, 2018, 8:32 am

Seriously, do you own a pitchfork?

mooch91
Grass Type: KBG, PR, TTTF

Post by mooch91 » August 31st, 2018, 9:22 am

andy10917 wrote:
August 31st, 2018, 8:32 am
Seriously, do you own a pitchfork?
Not sure if "seriously" implies a serious question follows, or if it's the question in itself...

But yes, I do own a pitchfork.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » August 31st, 2018, 9:47 am

I meant to imply that I wasn't making a joke with the question.

You don't need to do it every day, but regularly pushing the pitchfork fairly deeply (from the side of wheel tracks) and tilting it to lift the mechanically-compacted soil a bit will improve the chances for grass to survive this situation. So will just stabbing the pitchfork into the compacted soil and wiggling the pitchfork back-and-forth to let a little water and Oxygen in.

I've been where you're at (tree-removal cranes and trucks and (no joke) a tow truck that slid off of the driveway and down the lawn).

One thing NOT to do or consider: don't leave the compacted areas alone and try to just fill with topsoil - that's just hiding a problem from your view. It sounds easier, but will rear its ugly head again and again much the same as a buried rock would a few inches down.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » August 31st, 2018, 10:03 am

Good advice. I, too, have always used a fork to lift areas compacted from tire tracks or fallen trees. Although I have used a pitchfork at times, I more frequently use a spade fork. The difference is in the strength of the tines. A spade fork, a.k.a. spading/digging/garden fork, is designed for ground work, whereas a pitchfork is designed for pitching hay. I just don't want anyone bending the tines of their perfectly good pitchfork. ;)

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » August 31st, 2018, 10:23 am

Maybe my terminology isn't right. What I'm calling a pitchfork is also called a spading fork- the one that is used for pitching hay is round-tined and has longer tines. The "spading fork" type is flat-tined and was used to turn over garden soil in the days before everything was motorized (yes, there was such a time, and not that long ago). I was speaking to that type of pitchfork...

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » August 31st, 2018, 10:29 am

Exactly. That is indeed a spading fork. Never called a pitchfork...except by 95% of homeowners who were never farmers.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » August 31st, 2018, 9:36 pm

andy10917 wrote:
August 31st, 2018, 9:47 am
One thing NOT to do or consider: don't leave the compacted areas alone and try to just fill with topsoil - that's just hiding a problem from your view. It sounds easier, but will rear its ugly head again and again much the same as a buried rock would a few inches down.
True. I still have some unfixed ridges from tread equipment from 6 years ago. I keep telling myself I'm going to fix it with the pitchfork one of these days, but haven't had time yet. It's hard to mow, since it's bumpy.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » September 1st, 2018, 11:52 am

Just want to echo the suggestions to use a spading fork to lift up the compacted areas.

After doing the above and waiting a day or two, I've also had success using a manual aerator like the "Yard Butler" two-plug manual step-on aerator in the wheel ruts from heavy vehicles driving on the lawn.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Yard-Butler-Co ... or/3143403

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » May 17th, 2019, 10:31 pm

Green wrote:
August 31st, 2018, 9:36 pm
True. I still have some unfixed ridges from tread equipment from 6 years ago. I keep telling myself I'm going to fix it with the pitchfork one of these days, but haven't had time yet. It's hard to mow, since it's bumpy.
Update: I finally fixed them about a month ago. Not a perfect fix, but improved. I used both the spade fork, and a more conventional longer, thinner tine fork (it didn't bend). They both have their uses for this type of work. I advise wearing rugged boots so you don't damage your feet or sneakers.