Tenacity TTTF seeding?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Mahl
Grass Type: Kentucky Blue Grass (front), TTTF (back)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Tenacity TTTF seeding?

Post by Mahl » September 10th, 2018, 11:07 am

Hi,

Can Tenacity (Mesotrione) be used as a pre-emergent at the time of seeding TTTF?

I have seen it mentioned not to use this product if seeding fine fescue but I cannot find anything solid on whether or not it can be applied to bare dirt when seeding TTTF during a renovation.

I will drop TTTF seed this week, onto bare dirt, and I do not know if I should apply the two bags of Scott's starter fert with Mesotrione. If there is risk to the TTTF seedlings when they sprout, I'd rather return the bags to free up funds for sprinklers etc and just drop some milo and Lesco starter fert I already have.

FYI: I have gone through two rounds of applying glyphosate, spaced a few weeks apart, received lots of rain and the dirt is still bare and weed free - not sure if that will change with a change in temps or if I have removed most of the weeds and the Scott's will be just wasted money regardless of wether or not it is harmless on TTTF seed.

Thank you.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Tenacity TTTF seeding?

Post by TimmyG » September 10th, 2018, 11:53 am

The label makes this pretty clear:

"New Seedings/New Lawn Establishment – Apply Tenacity at 5-8 fl. oz. per acre in at least 30 gallons of water per
acre prior to seeding or post seeding of tolerant turfgrass species listed on this label, except fine fescue."

Tall fescue is not only listed as a tolerant species but also among the most tolerant (included among the higher 5–8 oz/acre safe rate).

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » September 10th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Absolutely, as mentioned above. The only grass we use that's more tolerant is some cultivars of KBG...TTTF is pretty dark tolerant, even though it sometimes turns white when applied to existing grass. Just make sure it's applied and watered in before germination...not after.

bschulte1978
Grass Type: TTTF (wanted) and POA (not wanted)
Level: Some Experience

Post by bschulte1978 » June 5th, 2019, 12:29 pm

I'm planning the same thing this fall. Quick follow-up question. I'm pretty sure the KBG guys here will reapply Tenacity at the 28 day mark as its preemergent effects wear off, and then use Prodiamine or Dithiopyr for the longer pre-emergent effect 60 days or so after seeding.

Can you apply Tenacity at the 4 oz per acre rate to TTTF which you seeded 28 days earlier? I've tried finding an example of someone doing this successfully and not killing the newly established TTTF.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 5th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Can you apply Tenacity at the 4 oz per acre rate to TTTF which you seeded 28 days earlier?
You can at 28 days AFTER GERMINATION, not after seeding.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » June 5th, 2019, 11:14 pm

It's not a big deal if there's a lapse of a couple weeks in Tenacity coverage, because if you use a non-ionic surfactant, it will also give you very good post-emergence control of anything that came up during that gap period.

bschulte1978
Grass Type: TTTF (wanted) and POA (not wanted)
Level: Some Experience

Post by bschulte1978 » June 6th, 2019, 10:35 am

andy10917 wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 6:44 pm
Can you apply Tenacity at the 4 oz per acre rate to TTTF which you seeded 28 days earlier?
You can at 28 days AFTER GERMINATION, not after seeding.
Thanks for that. Critical difference. Noted. I'll get a 4 oz per acre app down at seeding, and then wait until 28 days after germination, and deal with anything that comes up in the short gap where the original app wore off by manually pulling.