Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Poa triv re-appearing in newly seeded areas

Post by southern-ct-4 » January 10th, 2019, 6:11 pm

Green wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 5:38 pm
southern-ct-4 wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 1:11 pm
Not to beat a dead horse, but, if a very reputable (and often recommended) company said "I’ve got NuGlade & Rugby II with a gold tag.
I'm looking for Rugby II. Where on Earth did you find it? Nobody I called has it or really expects to have it this Spring (2018 crop). I've called about 8 or 9 places so far. Thanks.
The Hogan Company
http://thehogancompany.us/

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » January 10th, 2019, 6:20 pm

southern-ct-4 wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 6:11 pm
The Hogan Company
http://thehogancompany.us/
Thanks. Funny, because I just called them before you replied. They're all out. So, it looks like it probably wasn't grown last year. No one seems to have any left from 2017 now, either. We'll have to watch it and see if they grow it in 2019. I still have a little left, but man, it's getting old, and probably won't work much longer (if it still works).

southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG

Post by southern-ct-4 » April 12th, 2019, 2:38 pm

southern-ct-4 wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 5:11 pm
So I'm pulling the sporadic triv that's cropping up here and there in my reseeded areas (it's at 5 or 6 inches vs. my 3" new grass so it's easy to spot), but I'm also noticing more large patches coming in where I didn't previously roundup/seed (and either missed a few weeks ago or it's just spreading).

Should I round those up now, try Certainty in the spring/early summer (June 1 according to the label), understanding that it will hurt fescue (but shouldn't hurt PR/KBG) or do some other course of action? Actually, I think it hurts Rye if applied heavily, not sure if it does at the level I'd be applying it at.

Thanks as always.
I wanted to follow-up this trail from the fall, and ask what I should be doing (and when) concerning Poa Triv that is starting to grow. There are a few patches of lighter green grass which I'm not yet sure is poa, or just new grass from the fall, but in other areas there is absolutely poa popping up here and there. I've been pulling it out, but is there anything else I should do that this point?

Is glyphosate better than pulling it, as I've been having some issues pulling out the whole thing (it keeps breaking)? Or maybe one of those weed removers that you push in, tilt the pole, and out comes the weed (like this just as a quick example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D ... HCLF&psc=1)?

Also, what if anything (aside from pulling/rounding up what I see) should I be doing on a broadcast basis? Or nothing, as there is nothing that kills triv? I was thinking of possibly using starter fert with mesotrione (even though I'm not seeding) in May (as my 1st fert application) as perhaps the mesotrione might help highlight (by whitening) some triv, making it easier for me to spot spray?

I might also try Certainty (in small areas), as you guys (I forget who) provided me some labels/ratios that are ok to use in Tall Fescue/KBG...

I know it's a long battle, just trying to get my game plan in order for this year.

Thanks!

Green

Post by Green » April 16th, 2019, 12:18 am

I have a Triv problem once again thanks to the rainy Fall and Winter. I'm planning to kill the large spots that I can't pull, later this month, and then reseed with PR. This is a good time for Roundup. That way, I make a dent in it. I'm also currently pulling small spots by hand.

If you use Certainty instead of Roundup (later in the year), accept the collateral damage, especially with TTTF.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » April 16th, 2019, 6:38 pm

If I see just one tall piece of triv coming up in an otherwise nice area, is it best to pull it (assuming I get a big root piece out), or should I glyphosate it and some area around it? Lately for some reason, even with moist soil, it keeps breaking.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 16th, 2019, 7:12 pm

You don't "get Triv" because of a rainy Fall and Winter. It was there all along. Triv is perennial and very persistent. It also hides very well (when young) under taller grass, and then explodes suddenly ("where the hell did THAT come from?").

My experience with fighting by ripping it up is that it doesn't work. It reappears in the same spot 3-5 months later, far too often.

Fullheadofturf1234
Grass Type: KBG I think
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Fullheadofturf1234 » April 19th, 2019, 8:57 pm

I found some quack in a newlsy seeded spot contraceted by the gas company when installing a new gas line.
They used straw on top of whatever crap seed blend they picked.

Its tucked away so just gona nuke it.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » April 22nd, 2019, 12:12 pm

Andy, any thoughts using Acclaim on Poa Triv? The label says it's effective on it.

https://www.domyown.com/msds/Acclaim_Extra_Label.pdf

I did a search on the forum and saw "acclaim" on many posts, but at quick glance they didn't relate to triv (though there very well may have been some".

Thank you.

Green

Post by Green » April 22nd, 2019, 12:30 pm

Southern CT, I am not familiar with that herbicide, but someone else probably is.

I do want to add something though. Last year or the year before, I posted something about Triv producing seedheads. We know it normally doesn't do that under mown conditions. Now, some of my seedheads may have been a result of herbicide stress. Or others could have been Poa annua interspersed.

However, I think at least some (definitely not all though) of what I thought was Poa Triv last year may have actually been Jungle Rice Grass, which is related to Barnyard Grass. The telltale sign seems to a stalky nature, and purplish coloration on parts of the stems, and a more pointed leaf. Just wanted to throw that out there, because in my searches online for photos, I've seen a few supposed of images labeled Poa Trivialis that are actually mislabeled Jungle Rice (or a related grass). Apparently, Jungle Rice is much easier to kill...using Quinclorac (I have to look into exactly how to kill it, and need to positively ID whether I have any of that grass this year). Just adding this in here, because I realized there is point in using glyphosate on something that can controlled selectively. Apparently it's an easy misidentification to make. I'll try to follow-up on this at some point.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » April 22nd, 2019, 12:35 pm

Thanks Green.

Fullheadofturf1234
Grass Type: KBG I think
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Fullheadofturf1234 » April 27th, 2019, 12:41 pm

What about Pro-Vista KBG?

Is this the answer to our trivialis problems ?
T

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 27th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Andy, any thoughts using Acclaim on Poa Triv? The label says it's effective on it.

https://www.domyown.com/msds/Acclaim_Extra_Label.pdf

I did a search on the forum and saw "acclaim" on many posts, but at quick glance they didn't relate to triv (though there very well may have been some".
This one I have nailed down. It absolutely doesn't work. I did a controlled test of both Acclaim and some herbicide cocktails that had research on the topic of Triv treatments involving Acclaim from old research. None of the tested treatments did a damned thing to Triv, other than to discolor it a bit for a short while.

That's not to say that Acclaim is junk - it is absolutely the best treatment there is for Japanese Stiltgrass. But Triv? It doesn't even reach the level of not-so-much...

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » April 29th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Against poa trivialis I have never had success with any approach except for either glyphosate or sod removal.

I have generally had good results by spraying glyphosate on a poa trivialis patch, including at least 6" around where I think the outside of the patch is located (to get any stolons on their outward spread), followed by either re-seeding or re-sodding. Even this approach isn't 100% effective. If I do this on 10 patches, it seems that a couple of them will have some poa trivialis return again.

My preferred approach against poa trivialis is to do both of the approaches I listed in my first sentence -- to spray glyphosate on the patch + 6" (as described immediatly above), wait about 1 week so that the glyphosate has clearly taken effect, then cut out the dead section of sod, and replace it with a section of "donor sod" from a section of my lawn which is the designated "sod farm." I'm planning to continue this approach this year.