Preparing a PRG renovation for Michigan winter.

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
s3_buell_
Grass Type: TTTF, KBG
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Preparing a PRG renovation for Michigan winter.

Post by s3_buell_ » October 11th, 2018, 10:03 pm

My PRG reno is still growing well and is thickening and is actually choking out some weeds. I'm really pleased. It has received a total of 2 lbs N this fall. I'm done feeding it now and thinking towards winter preparation.

What height of cut going into winter is recommended for the first year or for PRG in general year over year?
Winterize with Urea at the usual timing after growth stops?
Although I still have watering timer set, they've really not started on their own due to rain and watering in fertilizer. Any thoughts on renovations transition to winter and watering?

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Preparing a PRG renovation for Michigan winter.

Post by Green » October 11th, 2018, 10:58 pm

Lowest practical height without damage or scalping...that may be 2 inches or closer to 3 for your terrain. Sharp blade!

Transition the watering slowly. Keep track of the rain frequency and amounts and make notes how the ground reacts. Adjust and taper from there assuming it stops raining.

Time final winterizing urea as close to rain as possible after growth stops.

Stay off it, and Pray that it makes it through the Winter. Mow as soon as practical in the Spring to knock off dead tips and stimulate new growth. Again...sharp blade.

Read up on the Philes fertilizer regimen.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Preparing a PRG renovation for Michigan winter.

Post by andy10917 » October 12th, 2018, 8:28 am

I like a 2.5" final cut. PRG does best through winter when there is good snow cover, and some touch-up in early Spring where any Winter Kill occurred. It is fling-and-forget and looks mature at 30 days. It doesn't require the babying that KBG does.

While PRG doesn't "require" quite as much Nitrogen as KBG, it is appreciative of it and no harm will come from higher N rates. The Philes regimen in Spring works on it.

Keep mulching the leaves into the soil !!