Need Seed Advice

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Need Seed Advice

Post by Casutherland » October 22nd, 2018, 11:50 am

I live in Nashville, and this has been one of the harshest summer/early fall that we have ever had. Up until about 2 weeks ago, we have been in the mid 90s with major heavy downpours throughout. September was the wettest month we have had in 20 years. It also does not help that I have a neighbor with irrigation that lets it run through all of this rain. It has essentially flooded my yard.

Anyway, due to all the heavy rains, most of the seed I put out in September and early October has washed out. I still have many bare areas, and lows at night have been in the 30s/40s. Is it too late to put out any additional TTTF? Should I just wait until the spring at this point?

Ill try to post some pictures tonight, but this is the worst my yard has ever looked. I am thoroughly disappointed. Any advice would be much appreciated!

McLovin
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Re: Need Seed Advice

Post by McLovin » October 22nd, 2018, 9:40 pm

I have seeded as late as 10/31 and had good germination. If you don't have seed and want to have a go at it, SLE over on Murfreesboro Rd (across from Publix between Antioch and Lavergne) has a decent TTTF blend called Prime Time for about $70/50 lbs. You can always go up to Springfield and see Bob Hogan if you have a particular blend or cultivar you want.

McLovin
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Post by McLovin » October 22nd, 2018, 9:48 pm

Link to the SLE website. Not affiliated with SLE, delete if breaks the rules please.

https://sleequipment.com/primetime-fesc ... e-bag.html

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » October 23rd, 2018, 1:54 pm

Thanks man, I will probably go pick some of this up actually. I work about 10 minutes from there. So that is perfect.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » October 25th, 2018, 3:45 pm

That is so crazy you were above 90 until like 2 weeks ago, and are now hitting below 40. Where did Fall go?

You are about a month behind me in terms weather/sun angle change for Fall, and I had no choice but to seed TTTF into October due to rain washing it away before that. (I had to redo it.) While this late is probably pushing it, if the weather co-operates, you can be successful in your area. mine was fairly successful, so I wish you the best, too.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » October 25th, 2018, 4:41 pm

Green wrote:
October 25th, 2018, 3:45 pm
That is so crazy you were above 90 until like 2 weeks ago, and are now hitting below 40. Where did Fall go?

You are about a month behind me in terms weather/sun angle change for Fall, and I had no choice but to seed TTTF into October due to rain washing it away before that. (I had to redo it.) While this late is probably pushing it, if the weather co-operates, you can be successful in your area. mine was fairly successful, so I wish you the best, too.
Yes, TN weather can be pretty extreme. We essentially skipped Spring this year as well. It has been a very strange year (weather wise) for my area of middle TN. My lawn has never looked as bad as it does now, and I am honestly perplexed. I just cant get seed to germinate, and my existing lawn is struggling.

I will try to post some pictures tonight when I get home from work tonight. Maybe some on here can help me diagnose the issue.

Good luck to you as well Green!