Where Are You With Fall Regimens?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Re: Where Are You With Fall Regimens?

Post by northeastlawn » November 24th, 2018, 11:51 am

I'm in the same boat, was planning on dropping it this weekend, two rain storms omg the way. Just not sure if the ground is now to hard to put the Urea down.

Maizan24
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Post by Maizan24 » November 24th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Might mow tomorrow if necessary. Think growth is done but I'll throw the bag on and see what's coming off the top if anything. Dropping final app of urea and we have a near 100% rain forecast for Monday. After that time to start planning out next year.

Wors
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Wors » November 24th, 2018, 5:57 pm

Put down Urea on Thanksgiving. It rained almost .25" yesterday. Almost put down the Urea earlier this week but the chance was slightly higher for yesterday. Timing was good this year.

Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Dargin » November 25th, 2018, 11:03 am

Almost 6 weeks since first frost. 12 days since last mow. About 25% of snow cover remains. Daytime temps in the low 40's today and tomorrow. Got some rain overnight, more to come tomorrow. The soil felt rock solid, but it's softened over the past 24 hours. Temps dipping back below freezing on tuesday. Think I'm on the tail end of opportunity. If conditions aren't right on Monday I'm guessing I'll be missing the window. Fingers crossed.

Maizan24
Level: Novice

Post by Maizan24 » November 25th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Was able to get in the last mow in. Most of the snow melted. Had to remove a small bit on the edge of the driveway that was a little deeper from snow blowing last week but it melted off quick enough. Dropped winterizer app.

Ruxie88
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by Ruxie88 » November 25th, 2018, 4:05 pm

More rain tomorrow morning with temps dropping for days afterward. Since I will be away for the next 10 days, decided to drop winterizer today.

bauer time
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by bauer time » November 25th, 2018, 5:49 pm

Ruxie88 wrote:
November 25th, 2018, 4:05 pm
More rain tomorrow morning with temps dropping for days afterward. Since I will be away for the next 10 days, decided to drop winterizer today.
Same general area as you. I mowed yesterday and noticed no growth since last mow 10 days ago. Dropped winterizer before the rain came.

Ruxie88

Post by Ruxie88 » November 25th, 2018, 6:06 pm

bauer time wrote:
November 25th, 2018, 5:49 pm
Ruxie88 wrote:
November 25th, 2018, 4:05 pm
Same general area as you. I mowed yesterday and noticed no growth since last mow 10 days ago. Dropped winterizer before the rain came.
Good to hear someone else close by had no growth. The last time my yard was mowed prior to a couple days ago was over 2-week prior. There were very few clippings.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » November 25th, 2018, 7:02 pm

I put down my Winterizer yesterday, and it rained about a half inch last night. So satisfying! I don't consider the year a success until the winterizing app is down, and the leaves are cleaned up (which is done for now, but there will be more, so it's not truly done).

greenrebellion
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG

Post by greenrebellion » November 26th, 2018, 9:46 am

I winterized as well yesterday. It rained for a bit and then we got 5 inches of very wet snow that should melt away by next weekend.

umbo514

Post by umbo514 » November 26th, 2018, 11:06 am

I did a major leaf clean up and winterized on Saturday, 11/24. It was forecasted to rain less than an inch... but it looks like we got over 1.5 inches that night. Hope it was not washed away. But overall, very happy to get down the winterizer!

Dargin

Post by Dargin » November 26th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Cleaned up some remaining leaves. Dropping urea in about an hour before the incoming rain. Zero growth over past 13 days. The soil has softened considerably. I took some soil temp readings at about 3 inches, every area was between 35 and 32. I'm doubtful the roots are still active, but conditions/timing won't be getting any better. I'm hoping for the best.

ronfitch
Grass Type: original: I don't know; overseed: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by ronfitch » November 26th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Riverpilot wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 1:45 pm
This will be interesting in my area. Still a few spots in the lawn covered with snow... hopefully that melts today and tomorrow. Tomorrow we're supposed to get .25" of rain, then Saturday night more rain (predicted at 1") turning into 4-8" of snow.

I'm looking at Saturday afternoon to drop the winterizer app.
Where you able to get it in before Bruce showed up? How much snow did you get?

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » November 26th, 2018, 6:22 pm

ronfitch wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Where you able to get it in before Bruce showed up? How much snow did you get?
Yes I did. Since this is my first year with the fall regimen, I decided to only drop on the front and side lawns. I wanted to see what difference it would make between those two sections, which are the main ones I care about, and the back lawn. Curiosity and all.

It was a really interesting storm, which I really don't remember one quite like this. It started with approximately 1" of rain Sunday morning that switched over to approximately a foot of snow. Heart attack snow as well.

We'll see how things look next spring. :yahoo:

Green

Post by Green » November 26th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Dargin wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 4:57 pm
Cleaned up some remaining leaves. Dropping urea in about an hour before the incoming rain. Zero growth over past 13 days. The soil has softened considerably. I took some soil temp readings at about 3 inches, every area was between 35 and 32. I'm doubtful the roots are still active, but conditions/timing won't be getting any better. I'm hoping for the best.
As an experienced person here multiple years, I can say the winterizing window definitely seemed shorter this year in the Northeast (at least my immediate area, and presumably yours, too, the way you're talking) than usual, due to the weather swings. It was about a 1.5-week window this year, versus about 3 weeks most years. Normally, last mow, leaf cleanup, and urea drop don't all occur at the same time, but they did this year.

Green

Post by Green » November 26th, 2018, 6:50 pm

Riverpilot wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Since this is my first year with the fall regimen, I decided to only drop on the front and side lawns. I wanted to see what difference it would make between those two sections, which are the main ones I care about, and the back lawn. Curiosity and all.
Definitely let us know your results over the coming weeks, months, and in the Spring (e.g. color differences over Winter, green-up, etc.). I wanted to do some experimenting of my own, but there was no time. I did do a modification to my winterization routine versus last year, though (which itself had been modified from the previous year(s)). Note also, that your back and front probably behave a bit differently even if both are winterized, due to the direction they face...mine definitely do.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » November 26th, 2018, 11:01 pm

Green wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 6:45 pm

As an experienced person here multiple years, I can say the winterizing window definitely seemed shorter this year in the Northeast (at least my immediate area, and presumably yours, too, the way you're talking) than usual, due to the weather swings. It was about a 1.5-week window this year, versus about 3 weeks most years. Normally, last mow, leaf cleanup, and urea drop don't all occur at the same time, but they did this year.
Appreciate the input. Pretty much read my mind. Been wondering a lot lately how this season's close compared to others. That bit of snow really seemed to throw a big wrench in the works.

Green

Post by Green » November 27th, 2018, 12:55 am

Dargin wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 11:01 pm
That bit of snow really seemed to throw a big wrench in the works.
A bit?! 10 inches in my area. Lol. I literally did my final mow and winterizer the day after it was all melted from the grass. That was 2 days ago. My neighbors still had some snow on their lawns in some cases. I shoveled off the remaining bits the day before to prepare. I also shoveled water from another area!

I knew it was the right time, and I had to do it.

My winterizing window is closed now, if only because part of my lawn is under water now, and inaccessible. I was being generous saying my window was 1.5 weeks. It was technnically much shorter, but that was due to many factors! Leaves, cold, snow, rain, wind...

Dargin

Post by Dargin » November 27th, 2018, 9:59 am

Green wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 12:55 am
Dargin wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 11:01 pm
That bit of snow really seemed to throw a big wrench in the works.
A bit?! 10 inches in my area. Lol. I literally did my final mow and winterizer the day after it was all melted from the grass. That was 2 days ago. My neighbors still had some snow on their lawns in some cases. I shoveled off the remaining bits the day before to prepare. I also shoveled water from another area!

I knew it was the right time, and I had to do it.

My winterizing window is closed now, if only because part of my lawn is under water now, and inaccessible. I was being generous saying my window was 1.5 weeks. It was technnically much shorter, but that was due to many factors! Leaves, cold, snow, rain, wind...
Well, "bit" might not have been the best word. ;)
We only got about 6 inches here in worcester, but it was still hanging around until yesterday. About 60% of my lawn gets absolutely zero direct sunlight at this time of year, and those were the areas where the snow was sticking most. I didn't shovel any off the lawn but I probably should have, would have bought me a couple days. I opted to speed up some stubborn spots by breaking them up with a steel rake and spreading them out, increasing exposed surface area, which worked well, but too little too late.

Still a good learning experience. I'll really be on my toes next time.

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » November 27th, 2018, 11:42 pm

Definitely let us know your results over the coming weeks, months, and in the Spring (e.g. color differences over Winter, green-up, etc.). I wanted to do some experimenting of my own, but there was no time. I did do a modification to my winterization routine versus last year, though (which itself had been modified from the previous year(s)). Note also, that your back and front probably behave a bit differently even if both are winterized, due to the direction they face...mine definitely do.
[/quote]

Most definitely will keep an eye on things. The back lawn receives full sun year round, while the side and front receive quite a bit less, especially with a terrible river birch tree that my neighbors planted 10 feet from my side lawn. That tree has really put a hurt on the side lawn with it's flippn roots and crap.