Where Are You With Fall Regimens?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
kentster
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Where Are You With Fall Regimens?

Post by kentster » November 9th, 2018, 7:44 am

The Pause... It looks like the first frost was October 30th here and grass is still growing a bit.

darkcrisis
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by darkcrisis » November 9th, 2018, 12:18 pm

In the middle of the pause here in the transition zone. I'm don't expect top growth to stop until at least mid-December. We haven't had a frost yet, but we have below freezing weather coming in the next couple of days which should slow things down a bit.

rydaddy
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by rydaddy » November 9th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Snow here. Still leaves on the ground, leaves in the trees... no winterizer yet.

BobL
Grass Type: TTTF/Rye
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by BobL » November 13th, 2018, 12:51 am

My final drop went down today, with rain coming tonight. The previous was October 10.

November 10 +/- a couple of days has consistently been the final cut/fert date over 10 years.

It was 60 just over a week ago, soil at 52. But we haven't been above 50 since then, lows between 19-30, soil temp mid-day was 42 and the rest of the week averages 37H/27L.

smontgo150
Grass Type: KBG / Fescue

Post by smontgo150 » November 13th, 2018, 9:57 am

Did my final application last night before the snow. Soil temp was 38 at 3 inches when I dropped and the snow started flying. Got 3 inches and the highs will not get above 38 for the foreseeable future.

rydaddy

Post by rydaddy » November 15th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Still waiting for last drop of urea. Trying to determine where I am at with growth is proving difficult with snow on the ground....

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » November 15th, 2018, 5:30 pm

rydaddy wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 1:51 pm
Still waiting for last drop of urea. Trying to determine where I am at with growth is proving difficult with snow on the ground....
It can be a bit nerve-wracking, but I still believe averages tend to prevail, like Andy, after doing this for 7 years. I would find it highly unlikely that we could be 4 weeks ahead of a normal year in terms of growth stopping, but some people are already Winterizing here, while I feel it's still too early (it's 3 weeks ahead of my average, and still 10 days ahead of the earliest I ever did it). Now, could the ground instantly freeze in the top inch after the snow? I suppose so, maybe. But I think the rain which follows, as well as the sun Saturday morning would thaw it out. People are so concerned about the environmental consequence of putting fertilizer on frozen ground...but it will thaw, almost certainly, even if it's temporarily frozen, and then I can winterize. That said, it does seem like the window for winterization may be shorter than usual this year in the Northeast and part of the Midwest.

In short, I'm holding out at least until Saturday, at which time I'll re-evaluate...even though it's nerve-wracking to do so. But I know better than to rush it.

fun4me2
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by fun4me2 » November 17th, 2018, 6:56 am

Got 8" of "heart attack" snow yesterday. :shock:
Glad I pulled the trigger a couple of days ago, when rain was predicted, and dropped my winterizer.
Had several days of "hard frost". Ground was getting hard.
Raked out leaves in gardens, and mulch/mowed. No grass blades in bag.
In the past this is just about the time I've been applying my winterizer.
Lawnmowers, spreader and outdoor equipment put to sleep for the winter.

northeastlawn
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » November 17th, 2018, 11:31 am

I didnt see many clipping last time I leaf mulched, but figure a little later is better than sooner.

Its pretty cold and don't expect the snow to just disappear, next week it gets cold mid week, then there is a warm up and rain showing next weekend.

Who knows, but there may still be a shot at putting the winterizer down, Im glad I didnt out anything down with the snow/rain mix they forecast. We got mostly snow, no telling if the snow would have been enough to push the urea through. I could have done more damage than it helped.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » November 17th, 2018, 1:33 pm

*has thoughts of strapping a small space heater to a drone for a leisurely flight around the yard*

Dargin

Post by Dargin » November 18th, 2018, 8:42 pm

northeastlawn wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 11:31 am

Its pretty cold and don't expect the snow to just disappear, next week it gets cold mid week, then there is a warm up and rain showing next weekend.
Yup, I'm hoping next Sunday/Monday might be the window. Daytime temps into the 40's throughout a good bit of rain. Fingers crossed.

jimmo
Level: Not Specified

Post by jimmo » November 18th, 2018, 11:34 pm

This will be my first time putting down a proper winterizer app of urea. Based on the comments I see around here, seems there's a lot of consternation around getting the winterizer down at just the right time. How long is the actual window to get it down where top growth has stopped but roots still growing? I understand if you put it down too early you will cause some undesired late season growth surge, but what happens if you put it down too late? Does it just sit in the soil and slowly leach out and not get taken up by roots?

Also, how long can the winterizer sit on the grass before it needs watered in? Can I apply to wet grass? And how much rain is needed to naturally water it in? I don't want to get hoses back out and do it manually if it can be avoided.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » November 18th, 2018, 11:52 pm

How long is the actual window to get it down where top growth has stopped but roots still growing?
In most years, the window is 2-3 weeks.
what happens if you put it down too late?
Nothing. Once the roots have stopped being active, they do not store the Nitrogen for the Spring.
Also, how long can the winterizer sit on the grass before it needs watered in?
It should be watered in as soon as practical - if there is a dew it may be too concentrated right where it (the Urea) landed. If it just sits on the soil, some of it volatilizes (goes into the air). A quarter inch of water is perfect.

kentster
Grass Type: Northern mix

Post by kentster » November 20th, 2018, 7:56 pm

All snow melted. I cut the lawn today mulching leaves and checking for growth. No growth, so I put down 2lbs/k of 48-0-0 urea and watered it in.

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » November 22nd, 2018, 1:45 pm

This will be interesting in my area. Still a few spots in the lawn covered with snow... hopefully that melts today and tomorrow. Tomorrow we're supposed to get .25" of rain, then Saturday night more rain (predicted at 1") turning into 4-8" of snow.

I'm looking at Saturday afternoon to drop the winterizer app.

Green

Post by Green » November 22nd, 2018, 10:37 pm

Growth has now stopped, and the window for Winterizing will open Saturday once it warms up enough to go out and put it down. I have to do my final mow first, then I will put it down. Right now, it's 15F outside. It's supposed to rain late Saturday afternoon.

Jackson
Grass Type: Cool Northern
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Jackson » November 23rd, 2018, 1:02 pm

First mow with no clippings, its supposed to rain all weekend. Found some dirt cheap fertilizer on closeout. Cost $6 for the whole yard and I went heavy. Threw er' down yesterday. We'll see if I threw down too late in a few months.

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG

Post by Masbustelo » November 23rd, 2018, 1:57 pm

Just a little bit ago I put down the 2lbs urea per k. Finally warmed up a little. Tomorrow in the 50s. Tonight rain, and rain and snow tomorrow night.

Green

Post by Green » November 23rd, 2018, 9:02 pm

Jackson wrote:
November 23rd, 2018, 1:02 pm
Found some dirt cheap fertilizer on closeout. Cost $6 for the whole yard and I went heavy. Threw er' down yesterday. We'll see if I threw down too late in a few months.
Hopefully not too much, either. There is little reason to use more than 1 lb per thousand of N for this app, and some people have even been experimenting with less (like me). More may actually just contribute to runoff or leaching. As far as timing, as long as your grass is not growing and soil is not frozen, and it got watered in, it will work.

mikeyD

Post by mikeyD » November 23rd, 2018, 11:17 pm

I was planning on dropping two pounds per k. tomorrow, forecast all week has called for half Inch of rain. The forecast changed. Now calling for a quick inch Saturday night followed by a half inch Sunday-Monday. Trash bag over the spreader and rain jacket for the spreader pusher.