Tip: Observe snow melt patterns

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Tip: Observe snow melt patterns

Post by Green » November 17th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Once again, the pattern holds. Read on for explanation...

With the recent snow in many areas, we may be antsy to mow again, but have to wait until it melts and dries up. That's no easy waiting game. That said, there's another game you can play in the meantime, which might help you out next Summer when it's getting hot and dry. What, you ask?

Observing the snow melt patterns in your lawn! With a few exceptions (e.g. snow piled high), I've noticed time and time again that the places where the snow melts first also tend to be the same places where the grass first starts struggling in hot and dry weather (e.g. South facing slopes, borders). The last places to melt tend to be North facing areas that don't tend to dry out fast, etc. It's been so correlated (at least in my yard) each time, that I feel comfortable posting it as a potential tip that might help others.

So, go out and observe your snow melt patterns and see if this holds true for your property, too!

agn015
Grass Type: Hogan Blend - GTO/Hemi/Hot Rod TTTF Everest/Award/Everglade/Midnight KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Tip: Observe snow melt patterns

Post by agn015 » November 17th, 2018, 11:06 pm

Great tip! I noticed this is true in my yard too.

I realized it this spring when we got a few late snowfalls and have been using that info to adjust my watering habits. I move around sprinklers manually so it definitely helped me get more efficient and will help me fine tune zones if I ever take the leap and design my own irrigation system.