Snow cover before winterizer.

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Snow cover before winterizer.

Post by PSU4ME » November 18th, 2018, 11:47 am

Not sure if this issue will present itself but it’s looking like a possibility for us in the New England area. We got more snow than expected, it’s not melting as fast as I would like and I just saw a forecast that said 3-5” of snow is possible Tuesday. Temps are not going to be favorable for melting either.

So the issues I see are:
1. Can’t tell when grass stops growing. In the next week or two is my estimated range.
2. Without my winterizer down, I’m not ready to throw in the towel for the season. If snow remains and the ground freezes too much, am I SOOL or is there a recommended way to winterize with snow on the ground (only about 1-2” now.

Thanks

FrankZ
Grass Type: Allen Seed endophyte blend
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Snow cover before winterizer.

Post by FrankZ » November 18th, 2018, 12:46 pm

I've been wondering the same thing.

I don't see why we cannot drop it on the snow covered ground. As it melts, it will break down into the soil provided its not frozen.

The questions we will get from neighbors when they see us with our spreaders will be priceless :)

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » November 18th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Same forecast here. Never had to deal with this before.

As far as the top layers of soil freezing, I would think they would tend to unfreeze as the snow melts. But I guess the window for winterizing might be much shorter. This is probably one of those legit cases where using soil temp is a huge help.

Just as important, I and I'm sure many of us, have a sandwich of leaves, snow, more leaves. The grass is also matted, so it will be hard to tell if it's growing.

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » November 18th, 2018, 4:52 pm

I will skip winterizer this year, it's grass after all, not rocket or drug.

Green

Post by Green » November 18th, 2018, 5:44 pm

I am not skipping, unless I'm absolutely forced to by weather. I've only put down 2 lbs or so of N so far this year on most areas.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » November 18th, 2018, 7:29 pm

If you try fertilizing on top of snow, a good deal of it may wash into the watershed leading to algae blooms.

I’d not do it or suggest anyone else do it either.

Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by Dargin » November 18th, 2018, 9:00 pm

Seems like doing this would make it difficult to control the distribution of urea. I imagine scattered pockets of pooled hot spots as the snow melts. Even if that caused no damage it would still probably be a less than effective app. I don't know from experience, could easily be wrong, but my gut is telling me it's a bad idea.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » November 18th, 2018, 9:01 pm

^^^ Agree 100%.

southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG

Post by southern-ct-4 » November 19th, 2018, 3:05 pm

Green wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 1:27 pm
... This is probably one of those legit cases where using soil temp is a huge help.
What are you looking for in terms of soil temps to help determine if growth has stopped (or that it's otherwise an ok time to put down the final urea app)?

Fortunately, for me, it looks like Weds/Thurs/Fri should be dry, and I'm hope the rest of the snow melts today/Tues/Weds, so I should be able to put down my winterizer Urea Thursday or Friday morning (and then rain is coming Saturday).

I'll mow/bag/look for clipping assuming snow has melted and lawn is otherwise dry, but if it's not, is there a particular soil temp that will give me a good enough 'go ahead' indicator to put down the Urea? I'm using 10/21 or so as my avg first frost, so I think I'm now bumping right up against the outside range for my last application and, like many of you, the weather has been awful and I can't tell if growth has stopped...

Thanks.

Green

Post by Green » November 19th, 2018, 4:41 pm

southern-ct-4 wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 3:05 pm
What are you looking for in terms of soil temps to help determine if growth has stopped (or that it's otherwise an ok time to put down the final urea app)?
It's not a hard and fast rule, or anything (I've even had very slow growth continue past Christmas some years, or restart during a warm week in January), but in general, top growth stops (or at least drastically slows) under 40F. So that's the upper bound I'm looking for. At the same time, 32F means the ground is frozen, and frozen ground is not what you want for putting fertilizer down...it will likely run off, and the grass can't use it at all anyway...which is bad for the waterways. So, I'm looking for something between 33F and 40F, but probably closer to 40.

In past years, the temps and growth lined up with each other pretty well.

Mowing is not going to tell me if growth stopped this year, since it's all matted down now. So, I'm only going by soil temps because I have no other choice this year.

Also, I want to be clear, when I talk soil temps, I mean temps I've measured myself. Websites aren't accurate in my experience.

I'm really close to the winterizing window now, and all indications are that it's going to be a shorter than average window this year where I am.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » November 19th, 2018, 4:53 pm

Ok gotcha. Greencast puts me at:

Current Soil Temperature : 43°
24-Hour Average : 46.7°
5 Day Average : 36.4°

but I believe I have a thermometer somewhere and will see what it says.

In any case, I think I'm ready to apply the Urea and will do so end of the week (if not sooner).

Thanks again!

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » November 19th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Soil temperature sites are a solution looking for a problem. If you can’t see the grass because it snowed, you missed your window.

Putting fertilizer on top of the snow is irresponsible.

If the snow melts, you can try testing with a soil thermometer. But relying on a website to tell you will be hit or miss. Save yourself some time and flip a coin. It’s got almost as much chance of being right as a website which can’t take your local variables into account.

Green

Post by Green » November 19th, 2018, 5:40 pm

southern-ct-4 wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 4:53 pm

No, no, no! Don't use that for more than entertainment or curiosity! It's never been right for me, lol.
Nothing against it...Syngenta is a wonderful company. They just can't know your yard/neighborhood as well as you do.

Like Turf_Toes says, use your own thermometer if you have no other choice, which is what I did.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » November 19th, 2018, 5:46 pm

Understood, thanks!

Green

Post by Green » November 19th, 2018, 5:48 pm

southern-ct-4 wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 4:53 pm
But maybe you were just curious. I can't tell you how many people go by those sites, though. The worst is when they think they missed their window because the site says 32 degrees, but in reality, their yard is considerably above 32. I don't even want to know what it says for my area, lol... :aikido:

Maizan24
Grass Type: Northern mix
Level: Novice

Post by Maizan24 » November 20th, 2018, 5:41 pm

Looking like I MIGHT be able to get in a mow this weekend. Hoping it's the last because I kind of just want to get my winterizer down and be done with it. Last mow there was still about .25 to .5 inch clippings. Well see how it all works out.

Green

Post by Green » November 20th, 2018, 11:01 pm

Maizan24 wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 5:41 pm
Looking like I MIGHT be able to get in a mow this weekend. Hoping it's the last because I kind of just want to get my winterizer down and be done with it. Last mow there was still about .25 to .5 inch clippings. Well see how it all works out.
I think it will work out for us. The last bit of my 10 inches of snow will be melting tomorrow morning (I helped it along today using a shovel and broom). Though the ground is still saturated, I plan to pick up or mulch leaves tomorrow, and then do my final mow and winterizer on Saturday. Right now, the grass is frozen solid, and I had to scrape ice off my windshield around 8PM. It was 33 degrees outside!

BobL
Grass Type: TTTF/Rye
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by BobL » November 26th, 2018, 1:40 am

I highly recommend a soil thermometer - $17 at Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Vee-Gee-Scientif ... 07BSSZX1C/

I've periodically look at Greencast and the NRCS Soil Temp graphs - the correlation to my own data is decent but nowhere near perfect. After 10+ years, I have a pretty good handle on how various growth events relate to temps on my specific lawn.

I wouldn't put fert down on top of snow because, at least where I am, the snow will surely melt in a day or three. It's extremely unlikely that the ground is "frozen" just because it has snow on it. Mine is at 42 right now, we've already had 2 measurable snows, and it won't actually freeze for 4-5 weeks. Waiting a few days and putting it on the grass is highly preferable to putting it over snow today, IMHO.

Green

Post by Green » November 27th, 2018, 1:08 am

BobL wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 1:40 am
I highly recommend a soil thermometer - $17 at Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Vee-Gee-Scientif ... 07BSSZX1C/
I slightly cracked the face (where the writing is, not the glass), and bent the stem, on my all-purpose thermometer by pushing it into hard ground the other day. The one you linked to claims it's a soil thermometer, but looks almost exactly the same. Do you think it's more robust than a standard model? I'm a bit dubious.