Getting rid of zoysia patch in cool season grass lawn

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Getting rid of zoysia patch in cool season grass lawn

Post by Pway » December 3rd, 2018, 5:26 pm

I have a northern mix, with mostly KBG. My driveway is almost at the edge of my property with my lawn only extending 6 or so feet on the neighbors side of the driveway. I cut my own grass but the neighbor has a service (I know the guy, he too is a neighbor and good guy). Anyway, the service cuts the 6 feet strip that is my lawn and that’s fine. However, somehow I got a 6x4 foot patch of what I believe to be zoysia. It didn’t come from me and my neighbor doesn’t have it either but I’m thinking ther service’s mower may have introduced it or maybe he dropped some seed somehow. I want to get rid of it. Should I use roundup and when? Dig it out and reseed? Pots? I’d like to do it in the spring so it doesn’t spread further but I realize fall is better. Any thoughts are appreciated.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Getting rid of zoysia patch in cool season grass lawn

Post by turf_toes » December 3rd, 2018, 6:10 pm

Could have blown in from seed. It’s also possible that it grew from a stolen that was hung up in the lawn service’s equipment.

There’s no way to know either way. So I wouldn’t suggest accusing the service as being at fault.

But this is the biggest problem using a lawn service. You have no way to know if it cleans it’s equipment between clients’ yards.

You should also check that it’s not nimblewil. It’s another warm season grass/weed.

https://extension.psu.edu/nimblewill-mu ... -schreberi

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » December 3rd, 2018, 7:04 pm

I would think zoysia would be pretty close to dormant up north by now, no? It turns pretty brown around here and looks fugly all winter.

If its nimblewill, I wait for it to go dormant and pull it by hand on a warmer but wet day early winter or late fall. It blends in pretty well and can be hard to see.

Pway

Post by Pway » December 4th, 2018, 8:10 am

turf_toes wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 6:10 pm
Could have blown in from seed. It’s also possible that it grew from a stolen that was hung up in the lawn service’s equipment.

There’s no way to know either way. So I wouldn’t suggest accusing the service as being at fault.

But this is the biggest problem using a lawn service. You have no way to know if it cleans it’s equipment between clients’ yards.

You should also check that it’s not nimblewil. It’s another warm season grass/weed.

https://extension.psu.edu/nimblewill-mu ... -schreberi
Thanks TT. I’m guessing it was the lawn service and there are several lawns in the neighborhood with zoysia so it could also have blown in from seed as you say. I’m almost positive it isn’t nimblewill, which I’ve dealt with previously.

Pway

Post by Pway » December 4th, 2018, 8:13 am

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 7:04 pm
I would think zoysia would be pretty close to dormant up north by now, no? It turns pretty brown around here and looks fugly all winter.

If its nimblewill, I wait for it to go dormant and pull it by hand on a warmer but wet day early winter or late fall. It blends in pretty well and can be hard to see.
Thanks Hoosier. Yes, it’s totally dormant and brown now. Ugly as hell! As I mentioned to TT, I’ve dealt with nimblewill (with some regularity) and it’s not that.

Maizan24
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Post by Maizan24 » December 4th, 2018, 7:23 pm

Not to derail the topic but is zoysia the stuff that turns that brownish yellow tint and basically looks like dead horribly drought stressed grass? I see lawns like that around my neighborhood and never really figured out if it was some type of lawn disease or something else.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » December 4th, 2018, 8:50 pm

If it looks like yellowish/brown straw from early in October until May, it's probably Zoysia.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » December 5th, 2018, 1:18 am

Maizan24 wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 7:23 pm
Not to derail the topic but is zoysia the stuff that turns that brownish yellow tint and basically looks like dead horribly drought stressed grass? I see lawns like that around my neighborhood and never really figured out if it was some type of lawn disease or something else.
There's a guy on here in Southwest CT with a well maintained Zoysia lawn. Doesn't post much but when he does it's cool. Actually warm, not cool, because it's a warm season grass. Also a few not so great Zoysia-ish lawns in my immediate neighborhood. And it's spreading...my neighbor is battling it in his yard. It's getting more popular in FL in recent years, because it stays green all year there, even in the Northern parts of the state, unlike St. Aug., which loses some color in cooler weather.

He uses mainly Glyphosate, and is experimenting with Tenacity (when it's green) more recently as well.