2019: What Did You Do On Your Lawn Today?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: 2019: What Did You Do On Your Lawn Today?

Post by andy10917 » September 8th, 2019, 8:55 am

For the last two years first frost has been a couple weeks past average.
Really smart! This is exactly how you progress to the next level - you take "general guidance" and adapt it for your specific situation by adding observations over the course of time. In this case, it's not about the specific date where frost actually occurs, but developing your own learnings about when the fine-tuned average first frost date is localized over time.

Oldschool
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Oldschool » September 8th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Thanks Andy...Probably the best piece of advice I’ve gotten was your insistence on paying attention to what’s happening right in front of you. I’m much more in tune to my lawn than I have ever been. Makes it all much easier, and fun.

bryankloos
Grass Type: Fescue, Blue, and rye mix (mostly weeds)
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by bryankloos » September 8th, 2019, 8:51 pm

Surveyed the growth of my full reno. Day 8, and lots of green in sight. I covered about 15K with sun and shade, and I'm looking closely at the good spots and the less full spots. I'm expecting 3 waves of germination as its a 50%PRG, 30%FF and 20%KBG mix. I had good germination at day 5, assuming that was the FF and waiting for the PRG to sprout up in the next few days. Maye KBG a week after that?

I do have a few spots where I didnt get up as much of the old dead grass and the slit seeder didn't cut through too well. I may aggressively rake them tomorrow and throw a bit more seed in those areas as they are the thin spots. Or... I may just wait another week and see how it fills in. My window is pretty close to closed for more seed unless I stick to the FF and PRG in those areas.

Either way, things are looking good thus far.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » September 8th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Rp9110 wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 2:46 pm
Dethatched, overseeded with a new mix and top dressed with peat moss. Need to spray tenacity tomorrow.

Out of curiosity, did you dethatch because you have thatch, or is it something you've been told should be done on a regular basis?

I'd your answer is that you have thatch, I'll proactively ask if you're sure and how much thatch you have.

Many people who dethatch do so unnecessarily. Many people who think they have thatch are missing decomposing grass clippings for thatch, or have a small layer of thatch that isn't a problem.

Rp9110
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Rp9110 » September 8th, 2019, 11:04 pm

bpgreen wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 9:09 pm
Rp9110 wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 2:46 pm
Dethatched, overseeded with a new mix and top dressed with peat moss. Need to spray tenacity tomorrow.

Out of curiosity, did you dethatch because you have thatch, or is it something you've been told should be done on a regular basis?

I'd your answer is that you have thatch, I'll proactively ask if you're sure and how much thatch you have.

Many people who dethatch do so unnecessarily. Many people who think they have thatch are missing decomposing grass clippings for thatch, or have a small layer of thatch that isn't a problem.
I dethatched because I have visible thatch in my yard. Dethatching has helped me achieve better seed to soil contact. It's quite interesting seeing how much thatch comes up.

Tarank
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Tarank » September 9th, 2019, 11:13 am

1 lb / K of urea. Tomorrow will be spraying some 3 way to knock out some pesky weeds i've been waiting to get for a while.

Tarank

Post by Tarank » September 16th, 2019, 9:19 am

2nd urea app. Lawn looking good, need to up my mowing frequency

darkcrisis

Post by darkcrisis » September 18th, 2019, 6:34 pm

Overseeded 10 days ago and am cutting back the watering schedule starting tomorrow. Most of the yard looks amazing! The strip along the road that gets full sun is just now starting to germinate. I'll hand water that section several times a day. I picked a dumb time to overseed though. We have had no rain and are still having highs in the 90s and lows in the 70s. I'm ready for fall!

bschulte1978
Grass Type: TTTF (wanted) and POA (not wanted)

Post by bschulte1978 » September 19th, 2019, 9:42 am

Overseeded abot 6,500 sq ft of my front and side yards on Sept. 1-2 with TTTF. Unluckily for me, an unexpected, extended heat wave moved in about 5 or 6 days after seed down. Luckily for me, I had a bunch of Melmnor four hose timers and was able to irrigate sallowly and frequently, 4x per day. The grass has germinated beautifully. Aside for some damping off I caught and fixed quickly, everything is going according to plan. Watering 3x/day yet because highs have been 88-90 all this week and will stay that high through Friday. After that, the heat breaks and we are into fall. I plan to dry out the lawn Saturday and do a first mow Sunday, at which point, due to the highs being around 80 or less, I can finally cut back to longer and less frequent watering to get those roots to go deep.

I will say this. I'm a believer in being able to grow TTTF in August, because we've had close to August temps and high humidity all of September in the St. Llouis region with almost no rain. It didn't matter. I had the irrigation in place and kept up the watering into this third week due to the heat. It worked! I'm excited to start feeding the baby grass small doses of Urea and Milorganite very, very soon. It is killing me not to go out there and mow it right now.

Rp9110

Post by Rp9110 » September 19th, 2019, 11:39 am

darkcrisis wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 6:34 pm
Overseeded 10 days ago and am cutting back the watering schedule starting tomorrow. Most of the yard looks amazing! The strip along the road that gets full sun is just now starting to germinate. I'll hand water that section several times a day. I picked a dumb time to overseed though. We have had no rain and are still having highs in the 90s and lows in the 70s. I'm ready for fall!
I feel your pain. In MD and i seeded about 10 days ago. Super dry out here.

edslawn

Post by edslawn » September 21st, 2019, 6:27 pm

Applied Serenade at 3.5oz/k after a cut to 3.5". Unusually hot weekend with highs to 90 degrees.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 23rd, 2019, 8:25 am

Mowing and trimming. Watering. Heat came back on full force the last 2 weeks and no rain until today.

I need to get a fall fungicide down, blanket spray for clover, and resume fertilization when the temps lower.

Alias-Dor
Grass Type: Fescue mix , Common Bermuda , Ryegrass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Alias-Dor » September 23rd, 2019, 5:28 pm

Let my 24 days old KBG cook in the 90 degree heat with no water since yesterday morning. And guess what ? Looks like some of it is starting to take off . I’m still not sure if I was over watering or under watering but since it’s looking better with less water I’m let it do it’s thing without messing with it .

jskierko

Post by jskierko » September 23rd, 2019, 6:13 pm

Dropped another urea app, watering in now. As HLG mentioned, been pretty dry in the area. Got 0.3" last night and that was the first measurable precipitation in the last 2 weeks. Nitrogen regimen and the newly installed irrigation system have helped things really take off in the last few weeks. A few areas of spurge and chickweed have enjoyed the nitrogen feedings as well... been hand pulling, but may need some treatments to keep it in check.

Oldschool
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by Oldschool » September 26th, 2019, 6:10 am

Lowered the deck to its 2” winter height. Dropped the 7th and final fall regimen Urea app. The end is near.

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG

Post by Masbustelo » September 27th, 2019, 4:38 am

I applied double the bag rate of Milorganite, mowed, top seeded some PRG, and spot sprayed weeds. I have very few weeds, which encourages me. Last year I had a weed farm.

FrankInNC
Grass Type: Tall Fescue and Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by FrankInNC » October 1st, 2019, 11:54 am

About a week ago, I started my overseeding with KY31, Lesco Starter Fert, Milo and peat moss. But for today, the theme is: Water.

My yard is on the left. Yes, there are some weeds, but overall I'd say it's coming along nicely.

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG

Post by Masbustelo » October 1st, 2019, 8:22 pm

I visited C.D. Ford and sons today. I was looking for TTTF seed. They had 6-8 to choose from. One of the Mr. Fords very graciously showed me what they had on hand. None of the bags were open and he offered to open any I wanted even though he knew I only wanted 3 pounds. I bought Mustang 4, which he recommended, $2.00 per pound. I also bought 50 pounds of urea for $18. I have a semi shady area that I sowed the TTTF in, as an experiment. Mr. Ford said he thought TTTF would largely replace bluegrass in the turf industry within ten years.

Riverpilot
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by Riverpilot » November 1st, 2019, 4:52 pm

Interesting year... Ended up getting 4" of snow on October30/31st...
Mowed the day before to mulch as many leaves as possible, still quite a bit on the trees. Fired up the snowblower to make sure things were working.
Did all my fall clean up, and doing winter all at the same time. lol..

Also non-lawn related. Had a company come in and put in 68 bags of blown insulation into my attic. Went from a R20 to R50+... Yeah...

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » November 2nd, 2019, 9:09 am

Still mowing weekly.

Put out FAS, triclopyr, urea, lots of mulching over the last week or so.