Seed type for poor soil area

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Seed type for poor soil area

Post by PSU4ME » January 5th, 2019, 9:40 am

Yeah I did read a lot about the color difference between the two, of like to find some more pics if possible. I like the “stats” of bedazzled forvthe specific area but I’m a little worried about how much contrast there will be between the two if it takes.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » January 6th, 2019, 12:20 am

PSU4ME wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 9:40 am
Yeah I did read a lot about the color difference between the two, of like to find some more pics if possible. I like the “stats” of bedazzled forvthe specific area but I’m a little worried about how much contrast there will be between the two if it takes.
I have America mixed with Bewitched, which is a similar color difference. I kind of wish they were more similar, but it's not terrible. I also have TTTF in the mix, as well as Rugby II. The Fescue kind of breaks up the visual color contrast effectively.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » January 7th, 2019, 12:26 pm

The area has existing TTTF that was dormant seeded 2 years ago so this will be a straight KBG play and hope that a good portion of it takes.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » January 8th, 2019, 12:53 am

PSU4ME wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 12:26 pm
The area has existing TTTF that was dormant seeded 2 years ago so this will be a straight KBG play and hope that a good portion of it takes.
This is your yard or the neighbor's?

So you will end up with a KBG/TTTF mix if it goes well. Have you considered overseeding with just one of those two KBG cultivars to better match the color to the TTTF?

All TTTF I've used so far has been dark green, and I think all the newer cultivars are. So, Blueberry might mix better with it.

But I hear that older TTTF cultivars might have been a lighter green, so if that's what you have, maybe Bedazzled would match better.

I'm sure you have a good idea of the color of the existing grass and can make a good decision based on that.

If you don't care, stick with the blend.

Btw, I've always found overseeding KBG into TTTF fairly easy.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » January 8th, 2019, 8:32 am

This is my yard but it’s the “dog leg” area that is offset and is not kept the same way I do my main, 25k sqft kbg lawn. When I bought the land this area was literally barren and pretty much straight sand. I hand a this layer of dirt applied by the builder but nothing like what is needed so long story short I’ve been chipping away at cleaning it up each year. Last year I got good grass growing and the fruit trees are taking pretty good (they get manually fertilizer).

Disease crushed the grass last summer though so now it’s replant time with some compost. I want to get it looking nice and push the weeds out. I’ll go with the blend because bedazzled should really mesh well with the area. If I ever got to the point where I cared about the color I’d just Reno it...... it’s only 7500 sqft.