Will Blue Note KBG blend ok with Midnight?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
john5246
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Will Blue Note KBG blend ok with Midnight?

Post by john5246 » February 5th, 2019, 10:05 am

There is a new mixture from a popular KGB vendor online. This mixture has swapped out Award KBG for Blue Note mixed with Midnight and Bewitched. I was wondering if anyone has tried it and if it would look nice. The benefit to Blue Note seems to be "early spring green up".

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Will Blue Note KBG blend ok with Midnight?

Post by Green » February 5th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Apparently, Blue Note is darker than Bedazzled (which itself is darker than America most of the year...America does tend to darken up a bit in June, though).

Midnight is probably a couple shades darker, but it might work ok still. If not, Rhapsody is supposedly a bit darker than Blue Note. And of course, Mazama is even darker than Rhapsody. So you do have options.

I'm not sure how Spring green up of Blue Note and Mazama compare, but if blending with Midnight, Mazama may be the best option. It's genetically related though, so it might have some of the same weaknesses as Midnight.

A blend of Mazama, Midnight, and Bewitched doesn't sound too bad to me, personally.

Iowa Jim
Grass Type: kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Will Blue Note KBG blend ok with Midnight?

Post by Iowa Jim » February 5th, 2019, 12:58 pm

In the ntep trials bluenote scored 6.6 for genetic color while midnight scored 7.9. In a mix it might not be so noticeable, but a side by side it would defiantly show and that was for Iowa. I have mazama mixed with midnight and bewitched and it mixes real well, mazama may be something you might want to look into. If you have any questions feel free to ask.