Tenacity as a pre em for wild violet

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Maizan24
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Tenacity as a pre em for wild violet

Post by Maizan24 » March 25th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Happy spring everyone. As the season starts to ramp up one of my main goals is to work on getting a large area of wild violet I have in the back yard under control. I was wondering if applying a pre emergent dose of tenacity would do the trick or if I should wait until it just starts coming up and hit it with triclopyr? If tenacity is a better option when should I be applying, how much and how often? Thanks folks.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Tenacity as a pre em for wild violet

Post by TimmyG » March 25th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Wild violet is a perennial. A pre-M is only going to keep new seeds from germinating, so you're still going to need to treat the existing population with triclopyr. Why are you even considering using Tenacity as a pre-M? Are you planning to seed this area at the same time? If not, hit it with a real pre-M (either prodiamine or dithiopyr) and follow up with the triclopyr assault.

Maizan24

Post by Maizan24 » March 25th, 2019, 4:57 pm

Was considering tenacity because I thought perhaps it would be a more effective alternative. I'll see how a dose of granular product does and go from there. Thanks.

Pway
Level: Some Experience

Post by Pway » March 25th, 2019, 5:04 pm

On the Tenacity label, Wild violet is listed as a weed controlled post emergent. Good luck. I’ve had better luck with triclopyr as the post emergent on wild violet but you might be fine either way.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » March 25th, 2019, 5:49 pm

I agree with PWAY - my experience is that Triclopyr is significantly more effective than Tenacity on Wild Violets.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » March 25th, 2019, 8:16 pm

I'm not a fan of Tenacity as a major herbicide for violets. It's ok as an adjunct to Triclopyr if you've already used it for other reasons, but I've always followed a week or two later with Triclopyr.

Maizan24

Post by Maizan24 » March 26th, 2019, 5:19 pm

Sounds good. Triclopyr it is! And Green I haven't done anything yet. Just planning my attack. :aikido:

Aviator8
Grass Type: Tall and Fine Fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Aviator8 » March 27th, 2019, 11:36 am

TimmyG wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 3:49 pm
Wild violet is a perennial. A pre-M is only going to keep new seeds from germinating, so you're still going to need to treat the existing population with triclopyr. Why are you even considering using Tenacity as a pre-M? Are you planning to seed this area at the same time? If not, hit it with a real pre-M (either prodiamine or dithiopyr) and follow up with the triclopyr assault.
do they even seed? I think they propagate form tubers, bulb or root system. I am no expert but I fight them every year and the always come back. Almost as bad a Bermuda. I have only been able to suppress not eliminate them.

Pway

Post by Pway » March 27th, 2019, 12:37 pm

Aviator8 wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 11:36 am
TimmyG wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 3:49 pm
do they even seed? I think they propagate form tubers, bulb or root system. I am no expert but I fight them every year and the always come back. Almost as bad a Bermuda. I have only been able to suppress not eliminate them.
Wild violets spread through both seed and rhizomes. They are tough to control and in my experience require multiple applications of triclopyr.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » March 27th, 2019, 7:58 pm

andy10917 wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 5:49 pm
I agree with PWAY - my experience is that Triclopyr is significantly more effective than Tenacity on Wild Violets.
Agreed. I dont bother trying tenacity on plants like wild violet and clover any more. Triclopyr! And several apps of it.