Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
spectrum1c
Grass Type: KBG front yard, Tall Fescue backyard
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Where to buy Dimension and Urea Eastern Massachusetts

Post by spectrum1c » April 4th, 2019, 8:41 am

Hi all,
Does anyone know where to buy Dimension 0-0-7 and Urea in the south east coast of Mass? What prices are you paying?

drawz
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Re: Where to buy Dimension and Urea Eastern Massachusetts

Post by drawz » April 4th, 2019, 11:17 am

Jonathan Green makes 0-0-7 Dimension that is pretty widely distributed. I get it at Mahoneys, but I've seen it at other places that sell JG. I haven't found urea anywhere though.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by PSU4ME » April 4th, 2019, 11:27 am

Franklin agway (among others) carry urea. I get itvtyere every year. If not in stock they can get it in within a week.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » April 4th, 2019, 11:54 am

How much Dimension do you need?

If your OK with large bags and have a local Site One, they will usually have large generic bags of 0-0-7 Dimension. It might have to be special ordered, but this time of year landscapers are gearing up for crab grass pre-m so they might have it in stock, prepare to have to ask though. They much prefer to sell the stuff with fertilizer.

My local site one always asked me why I didn't want the one with fertilizer, because it was better.

Jonathon Greene Crab Grass preventer costs more per pound, but several places have it this time of year.

If your lucky enough to find it, get enough for Aug and Oct. I find its impossible to find after spring, few landscapers seem to care about POA Annual prevention. I have always been surprised August and Oct Pre-m apps haven't been promoted like the crab grass pre-m.

spectrum1c

Post by spectrum1c » April 5th, 2019, 11:45 am

Thanks all for heading me in the right direction. Hopefully I'll track down both urea and dimension within the next couple of weeks

spectrum1c

Post by spectrum1c » April 17th, 2019, 9:25 am

I found a source local to me for Urea :). Barnstable Farm & Pet in West Barnstable,Cape Cod, will order it for $19.99 per 50lb bag (46-0-0). Unfortunately they could not order the Dimension 0-0-7 unless I bought a pallet- Did not inquire on pricing.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » April 17th, 2019, 10:36 am

Look for a local True Value Outlet. Not everyone will have it, but the few place that carry Jonathion Grene products are usually True Value Outlet Associates.

My uncle is stuburn and didn't order any for the fall, ordered it via Amazon last year, not sure how shipping worked for him.

I ended up going with a Promadine and mix your own solution. Ill only end up using 1/64 of the jug in the 5 years before it expires, but $60 to have it ready and easy to store, beat doing scavenger hunt every year looking for it,

spectrum1c

Post by spectrum1c » April 18th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. I have a friend driving back from Northern NJ and on a whim called turf supply stores in that area. A distributor called "Aquarious Supply" carries Dimension for $21/50lb bag. I had her pick up 5 so that I wouldn't have to search again for at least 2-3 years

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » April 18th, 2019, 2:21 pm

There is a Valley Green in Smithfield, RI and another in Charlton, Mass. Not sure if either is near you. But here in CT, they have Dimension 0.15% 0-0-7, MOP for $26 per bag (50 lbs).

There is also a SiteOne in West Wareham, Mass, that may be closer to you. And another in South Dennis.

spectrum1c

Post by spectrum1c » April 18th, 2019, 4:12 pm

There is a site one about 20 minutes from me (in Mashpee). Out of curiosity I called and asked them about the Dimension 0-0-7. They had Lesco brand in stock, but are asking $46 for 50lb bag (I never asked concentration). I played dumb and said I remember paying much less last year. He said their cost went up over $10 from last year. I got the impression he he felt I was wasting his time, so I assuming they charge a premium to non-commercial buyers.

Curious, do you happen to know what "MOP" stands for?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » April 18th, 2019, 4:49 pm

spectrum1c wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 4:12 pm
There is a site one about 20 minutes from me (in Mashpee). Out of curiosity I called and asked them about the Dimension 0-0-7. They had Lesco brand in stock, but are asking $46 for 50lb bag (I never asked concentration). I played dumb and said I remember paying much less last year. He said their cost went up over $10 from last year. I got the impression he he felt I was wasting his time, so I assuming they charge a premium to non-commercial buyers.

So act like you are a pro. I purchased three bags of 0-0-7 dimension from my local Site One. I paid $33 per bag.

But I simply walked in and said, “I need three bags of 0-0-7 Dimension.” Full stop. I didn’t quiz him on price. A pro needs the product to do his job. He’s not walking in to buy a single bag and haggling over the price.

It also helps to refer to your lawn issues as your customer’s lawn problems.

spectrum1c

Post by spectrum1c » April 18th, 2019, 5:35 pm

turf_toes wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 4:49 pm
spectrum1c wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 4:12 pm

So act like you are a pro. I purchased three bags of 0-0-7 dimension from my local Site One. I paid $33 per bag.

But I simply walked in and said, “I need three bags of 0-0-7 Dimension.” Full stop. I didn’t quiz him on price. A pro needs the product to do his job. He’s not walking in to buy a single bag and haggling over the price.

It also helps to refer to your lawn issues as your customer’s lawn problems.
Haha, point taken. Def will go that route next time

Green

Post by Green » April 18th, 2019, 6:16 pm

MOP = Muriate of Potash, aka. Potassium Chloride
SOP = Sulfate of Potash, aka. Potassium Sulfate

SOP is a higher quality Potassium source and better for the soil, but MOP costs less and is more common in the 0-0-7 products. If you put down 4 lbs per thousand square feet of 0-0-7, you're only putting down 0.28 lb/K of Potassium from MOP, anyway. But one reason that SiteOne's 0-0-7 Dimension may cost more is because the Lesco brand often uses SOP instead of MOP. But you pay a premium for it.

At least you got what you needed in the end...and for a great price!

Green

Post by Green » April 18th, 2019, 6:23 pm

0.172% Dimension is stronger, so it'll last you even longer. I normally use 4 lbs/K of 0.15% (because it's what's available here) to last from now until seeding time. But with 0.172%, you'd only need 3.5 lbs/K to have the same effect and duration of coverage. You're also putting down less Potassium (from MOP) in the process with the 0.172% stuff.

spectrum1c

Post by spectrum1c » April 18th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Green wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 6:23 pm
0.172% Dimension is stronger, so it'll last you even longer. I normally use 4 lbs/K of 0.15% (because it's what's available here) to last from now until seeding time. But with 0.172%, you'd only need 3.5 lbs/K to have the same effect and duration of coverage. You're also putting down less Potassium (from MOP) in the process with the 0.172% stuff.
Thanks for the dosing. So if I put down 3.5lb/K, it should not inhibit overseeding this fall, correct?

Green

Post by Green » April 19th, 2019, 9:03 pm

spectrum1c wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 8:45 pm
Thanks for the dosing. So if I put down 3.5lb/K, it should not inhibit overseeding this fall, correct?
My experience is that amount of active ingredient now is perfect and does not inhibit overseeding 4 months from now. When I overseed, I have always scratched up the soil a little, and I only ever had a failed overseed once, but I can't say it was due to Dimension, because it was successful in all except one portion of the yard. I think it was because it was a slope, and there may have been washout, or the seed was too old to have a high germination rate.