Is it too early to fertilize in MA?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
EddieN26
Grass Type: Bewitched Front / Mixed KBG Back
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Is it too early to fertilize in MA?

Post by EddieN26 » April 12th, 2019, 8:37 am

Hello all! Long time lurker here around the yard. I learned a boat load over the past year soaking in all of the quality information available here because of all of you! And it has helped me renovate grow the most beautiful lawn I've ever owned last fall.

My first ever question is is it too early here in MA to put down fertlizer? The soil temps here are averaging between 40-55 degrees with daytime temps hovering between 50-60 and nightime 38 - high 40s. I don't want to waste quality fert if nothing will happen with the bit of urea mixed in. Any help is appreciated

EddieN26

Re: Is it too early to fertilize in MA?

Post by EddieN26 » April 12th, 2019, 8:53 am

And to add, I have noticed considerable green-up from the Bewitched I renovated with already, compared to all the neighbors. I wanted to spread some fert first thing today before work, but feel like I may be jumping the gun with the lingering cold weather

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by PSU4ME » April 12th, 2019, 9:53 am

My preference and practice is to let the “spring flush” run it’s course therefore letting the grass wake up and get back to building the roots it lost over the winter before I push top growth.

I’m “planning” to fertilize with some baystate in May and until then I’ll spot hit weeds, take my soil samples and work on amendments and a preventative biofungicide program.

Fullheadofturf1234
Grass Type: KBG I think
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Fullheadofturf1234 » April 12th, 2019, 11:08 am

Im in Michigan and just out down .5# of N per k in the form of urea.
The Philes regimen doesn’t really say when to start just that the grass needs N so I’m givin it to her.

That being said, a lot of folks believe in the wake up naturally, which in my case I,m probably a week early.

The other thing to consider is yhe type of fert... the herd isn’t awake yet and milo and alike wont get broken down anytime soon.

I may be going onut ona limb but my grass needs to spread and cover areas so I’m willing to take the risk.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » April 12th, 2019, 12:00 pm

I also use Bay State Fertilizer (BSF), I usually keep a steady stream of 1/2 bag rate going from May 1st to around July 4th.

It takes about 2 weeks to break down, so if I start 1/2 bag rate on May 1st, and put it down every other week. I figure the lawn should always be getting a little something throughout the main growing season.

I switch to the fall fertilizer program and Urea come fall and winterize in Nov/Dec so the hopefully the lawn gets what it needs from that early spring.

Waiting until May 1st gives me a chance to work on the pre-m, grub-ex, and maybe tenacity apps for POA in April.

EddieN26

Post by EddieN26 » April 12th, 2019, 6:25 pm

Awesome, thanks for all the insight. Definitely a huge help

swami7774
Grass Type: Some tall fescues, along with Bedazzled, Bewitched, Blue Velvet.
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by swami7774 » April 16th, 2019, 10:26 am

I applied Dimension last week, only because the weeds around here seem to sprout up very early(I live on the Cape).

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » April 16th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Last year everything was late in S.E. Mass, this year we are ahead of schedule so far, with plenty of useful rain events coming through to get the pre-m's watered in.

I'd say it was a good year for spring reno's, but my sisters mini reno washed out last night. It may be too much rain for some people.

Every year seems too be different, I wish i had a crystal ball.