Too many mulched leaves?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
EddieN26
Grass Type: Bewitched Front / Mixed KBG Back
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Too many mulched leaves?

Post by EddieN26 » April 12th, 2019, 12:01 pm

So as you can tell by the pictures, I mulched a fair amount of leaves last fall that still remain after winter. It was the first time I decided to mulch everything in after reading the benefits of it here, and I tried to keep up with them the best I could throughout the fall. Should I consider raking all of this up or leave it for the herd to break down when the weather gets warmer? It might not have been a good idea but I applied my first round of Pre-M over this cover about a week ago. It has rained a couple days since but I'm afraid bagging all of this dead matter will remove the Pre-M along with it. And this will surely block any fertlizer from getting to the soil as well right? You can see a few earthworm castings so they are munching away as of now

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Too many mulched leaves?

Post by bpgreen » April 13th, 2019, 1:48 am

I think you'll be fine. As you build microbes in the soil, leaves will break down faster. The boys on your lawn now will break down soon.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by PSU4ME » April 13th, 2019, 6:07 am

I think morph said you could shred 8” of leaves at a time...... and that’s a bunch! You’ll be fine.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 13th, 2019, 8:24 am

Eddie, here are a few things to consider:

(1) I see a good number of whole leaves. Is your lawnmower that you used specifically designed as a mulching mower? Without the leaves being chopped reasonably finely, waxy leaves don't break down well or quickly, and often they don't actually get to touch the soil for the microherd to eat them.

(2) Is this your first time mulching leaves? If you aren't in the habit of using anything but synthetic fertilizers, it takes time for the microherd to develop the right bacteria and fungi to break leaves down quickly. I often advise people that are making an abrupt change to apply sawdust, etc down during the season (multiple apps) to encourage lignin-eating microherd members to increase.

Over the course of the Fall leaves, I get 24"-30" of leaves over about eight weeks, and I'm always still amazed that the chopped leaves disappear to a fine 1/8" of mahogany-colored dust every week. It's awesome when the soil can consume like that.

If your soil won't process the leaves week after week, don't keep piling them on until the grass is buried - that can turn a very positive process into a problem as the grass gets slowly buried.

EddieN26

Post by EddieN26 » April 14th, 2019, 2:41 am

Thank you bp and psu, that puts me at ease. Mowing season is right around the corner and I'm here worried about any little thing that looks off about the yard, and need to just take a step back and let things happen.

Andy, I think if I'm not mistaken I have the same honda mower as you, the HRX 217. It was definitely my first season mulching leaves, and the first year I paid any attention to my yard and took up lawncare as a hobby. I started using milorganite last spring in hopes of building the soil and rotated with HyR Brix fertilizer throughout the year. I tried my best to make multiple passes to finely chop the leaves, but like you said after the first week I did notice remnants of the previous run before piling on more.

EddieN26

Post by EddieN26 » April 14th, 2019, 10:16 am

Thank you for your response as well Andy. I've learned a lot over the past year reading all your helpful insight across the board. Hopefully I can reap the benefits of a hungry herd this fall and watch those leaves disappear

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 14th, 2019, 10:27 am

You can! A good method to improve the microherd's ability to handle leaves is to add some sawdust to get the fungi that eat stalkier material (tree leaves have material that is both stalkier (lignin) and greener material that bacteria in the soil like). Sawdust fires up the engine, and can be added any time in the year, but especially in later Summer to be fired up for leaves. Sawdust also improves soil tilth in a big way.

EddieN26

Post by EddieN26 » April 14th, 2019, 2:11 pm

I will do that then, thank you! Is there a specific rate / 1000 you recommend applying it at and where if anywhere I can go about purchasing some?

EddieN26

Post by EddieN26 » April 14th, 2019, 2:14 pm

And also would applying it with a spreader be best or some other way?

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by PSU4ME » April 14th, 2019, 7:03 pm

If I were to do it I’d drop numerous piles and use a leaf blower.