Gold Tag KBG getting harder to find?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Gold Tag KBG getting harder to find?

Post by turf_toes » May 30th, 2019, 8:57 am

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
May 30th, 2019, 8:44 am
Yeah summit wouldnt sell me two 50 lb bags for my 2016 renovation. I got the same line about not working with individuals. I was a former customer too.

Oh well. Someone else wanted to spend 3 minutes on the phone with me to generate 600 dollars in revenue and never have to talk to me again.
I got 50 last year.

southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by southern-ct-4 » May 30th, 2019, 9:48 am

I was in contact with Nathan: nathan@summitseed.com

I made sure to order 'raw' seed, not the 'enhanced coating' seed.

Had no issues. Don't recall if we ever spoke or I did it all via email.

It probably wasn't the cheapest (and shipping was a lot) but it was gold tag so I was happy.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » May 30th, 2019, 10:12 am

I suspect someone there got tired of dealing with people trying to order five or 10 pounds, then haggling over the price.

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » May 30th, 2019, 10:25 am

The other thing to keep in mind is you shouldn’t necessarily believe it when folks online post about vendors not selling to homeowners any more.

All websites discussing consumer goods are subject to competing vendors’ misinformation campaigns (think Yelp reviews).

Several years ago, I caught one well-known vendor posing here as a satisfied customer and raving about his website and product.

The problem (for him) is he uploaded a photo that was on his desktop computer. The logs showed the full path from where he uploaded the photo. That path included his username, which was his full name. The site in question was owned by someone with that same name.

The IP address pointed to the location where his business was/is located.

Be careful when it comes to taking advice from the internet about any business. People do morally questionable things in pursuit of money.

That’s not to impugn the word of those here who say they couldn’t get them to sell to a homeowner. It’s just good advice to always check it out yourself.

I had an old college professor who used to say, “if your momma says she loves you — check it out.” That was his way of suggesting that we should never take anyone’s word on research. But I think it applies here too.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » May 30th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Turf_Toes, great post in so many ways.

I've dealt with another company, who were nicer about not dealing with individuals/small quantities, explaining in a few seconds that it was no longer cost effective for them, and they don't maintain the actual licensure needed to sell to the public anymore. I guess there are two licenses needed, one for commercial clients and the other for the public, at least in some states. I don't remember what company that was.

Still others stick to the 50-lb policy, but will sell to anyone.

southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG

Post by southern-ct-4 » April 3rd, 2023, 3:38 pm

Following-up this old past, is there anywhere these days to get gold tag kbg online like I used to at seedsuperstore (which may be closed permanently)?

Also looking for some PR for a particular area in my lawn that I don't care about and just want something to grow quickly (well, I care about it and don't want poa triv/other weeds).

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » April 4th, 2023, 6:59 am

Where have you already tried?

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » April 4th, 2023, 10:15 pm

Southern-ct,

Twin City Seed has a decent selection at the moment. All their tags are posted on the site, too.

There may others as well.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by edslawn » April 5th, 2023, 4:45 pm

southern-ct-4 wrote:
April 3rd, 2023, 3:38 pm
Following-up this old past, is there anywhere these days to get gold tag kbg online like I used to at seedsuperstore (which may be closed permanently)?

Also looking for some PR for a particular area in my lawn that I don't care about and just want something to grow quickly (well, I care about it and don't want poa triv/other weeds).
BTW, I just went to the SSS website and everything looks like normal operation. I did notice that they added a site level verification (similar to this site) to verify you are a human.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 5th, 2023, 9:36 pm

I found a lot of broken links and indications of hacking to the website of SSS.

Sadly the owner of SSS (Drew Kinder) died in December, 2020. I may have disagreed with the SSS pricing, but the man did know what he was talking about when it came to lawns.

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » April 6th, 2023, 7:40 pm