Any POA Annua Seed Heads yet?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Any POA Annua Seed Heads yet?

Post by northeastlawn » April 14th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Anyone else getting POA Annua Seed Heads already?

Seems like my problem areas are coming roaring back again. I had some success in my Tenacity treatments last spring and fall, but the densest areas are now small patches of POA with seed heads already coming up. They got to the yellow stage last fall.

My KBG reno was in it's first summer so I never felt I could starve the lawn for water and let it go dormant last year. My yard gets shade, so think I am dealing with mature POA Annua plants that made it through the summer.

I realize that seems weird, but did read that some POA Annua will survive if the lawns are well watered.

After I put down a 4oz diagnostic tenacity App, has any one tried painting POA Annual with glysophate just to be done with it?

Last springs tenacity apps, hurt it, but didn't get all of it. Hand pulling isn't as great an option as the stuff I have now is pretty well mixed with the KBG.

I'm heading for battle again and looking to take a different tack.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Any POA Annua Seed Heads yet?

Post by turf_toes » April 14th, 2019, 9:04 pm

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » April 14th, 2019, 11:18 pm

Thanks for the info, for some reason whenever I post pics only the links show up, or I would post some pictures. I'm not sure why that happens now.

I'll wait for a diagnosis tenacity app to give me a better idea. I was going to wait a few more days for more of the lawn to wake up.

I did think KBG seed heads showed up in May, these are in clumps and a lighter color than the KBG I have. Also the lighter sections are beginning to recover from the Fall tenacity and wake up, while the KBG hasn't seemed to wake up yet.

There is always this assumption POA Annua always dies in the summer, but if it does get enough water to survive, and it squeaks through summer, then what?

I didn't see any thing about winter killing it, and we know Tenacity doesn't alway do the job in the 16oz limit you get. Is there such a thing as mature POA Annua?

flyingfish88
Grass Type: TTTF/PRG/FF
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by flyingfish88 » April 15th, 2019, 8:54 am

Interesting timing on this post. I found this in my yard this morning.

Based on turf toes link I am pretty sure this is annua with seed heads.

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » April 15th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Nice pics, I think my POA is still immature and just popping up, that's the POA Annua I know too well.

I have rain forecast all week, I'd wait to do my 1st Tenacity app, but my dry window is narrow so will probably do a diagnosis Tenacity app tomorrow the decide how much I might have and how to tackle it. Some of the KBG is just waking up, might be a good time to map put which is which.

JHazzardB
Grass Type: Front Yard: KBG blend. Back Bewitched/Nuglade
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by JHazzardB » April 15th, 2019, 2:22 pm

I've had seed heads since February :( ... but I'm getting fewer and fewer every year!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » April 15th, 2019, 11:55 pm

I saw Poa annua, but not KBG, with seedheads on my walk today.