PR Slower to wake up?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Bales9er
Grass Type: Lesco Double Eagle PR
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

PR Slower to wake up?

Post by Bales9er » April 16th, 2019, 2:01 pm

Just curious, is PR slowest to wake up after winter? My entire lawn was brown to the point of looking dead after the snow melted but luckily it has slowly been turning green in areas although it is still way behind everyone else in town. I'm sure within the next week or two it will all come back but I just didn't know if this is status quo for PR, especially here in New England.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Re: PR Slower to wake up?

Post by northeastlawn » April 16th, 2019, 3:38 pm

Actually from my understanding PR wakes up before KBG annd FF, but specific cultivars can wake up at different times.

Whether or not you did a winterizer fertilizer app also makes a difference. The late fall fertilizer gets stored in the roots and is available as soon as the lawn wakes up.

Some of my KBG in the backyard just woke up, while PR in the front of the house is just going from yellow to green. Which is odd as it's usually the exact oppisite.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 16th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Yes, PRG is usually faster/earlier to wake up. And Yes, Fall fertilization and Winterizer (Urea) generally make grass wake-up a little earlier.

Bales9er

Post by Bales9er » April 16th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Ok so i admittedly did not get my winterizer down so it sounds like thats more of the culprit than anything

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » April 17th, 2019, 12:34 am

This year in my area, PR lost the least color over the Winter. Surprising, because it doesn't tolerate Winter too well if there's a lack if snow coupled with cold temps. That may or may not be related to green-up.

Bales9er

Post by Bales9er » April 17th, 2019, 3:08 am

Yeah that's why this kinda threw me for a loop as I've always read that PR holds its color best into/through winter, mine has been the complete opposite. Guess it doesn't really matter as long as it comes back eventually but I was just curious if there were any other definitive factors that would affect it.

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » April 17th, 2019, 9:05 am

Doing the fall fertilizer apps and winterizer app, has always gave e the greenest lawn throughout the winter.

I always have so many gaps, the lawn looks kind of sparse anyway, but it is very dark green :-)

maynardGkeynes
Grass Type: PRG & KBG (front); TTTF & HKBG (rear)
Lawn Size: < 1000

Post by maynardGkeynes » April 18th, 2019, 11:00 am

My PRG really woke up about 3 weeks ago. Growing like crazy. But it's warmer here in DC. I have some fine fescue in a shade area that has not done well so far. It may not have survived the winter.

Bales9er

Post by Bales9er » April 18th, 2019, 2:43 pm

I know its still very early and I see more and more green popping each day but there are some areas that I am concerned with. At what point should I chalk it up to winter kill if things haven't turned in some areas? Just trying to get out ahead of it to re-seed spots if need be before its too late in the spring.

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » April 18th, 2019, 3:45 pm

It would be easy if anyone knew that by looking at it. This isn't a cop out, but some of its will live, some of it will die. If you have KBG it will spread, PR and FF will require reseeding. One exception seems to be FF that does seem to "puff up" and look better when things warm up, but it still won't spread into large holes in the lawn.

The problem with spring seeding is that unlike summer/fall seeding you have no idea when the soil constantly reaches that perfect temperature. My back lawn has started growing, while even the PR in front of my house seems to be be very slow to actually start growing.

I wouldn't sweat a late reseeding start, I did my sister front lawn last weekend and what didn't wash away last Monday will surely wash away this weekend. I can't remember this kind of rain last few springs. It makes me appreciate my choice of KBG more and more.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody

Post by schreibdave » April 21st, 2019, 9:58 pm

I have PR in Syracuse NY (actually a micro climate that's a little colder). My PR that survived the winter kill is starting to grow and it's a nice green. Problem is that I have a lot of winter kill. I will rake and re-seed and try to find the energy to transition to a KBG mix this summer/fall.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 21st, 2019, 10:26 pm

KBG doesn't germinate well into an established PRG lawn - allelopathy.

Bales9er

Post by Bales9er » April 22nd, 2019, 12:49 am

Andy - I know about the allelopathy and understand the KBG wont germinate well if overseeded into a PR lawn but what about avoiding an entire reno and doing sections of RU instead, almost like mini renovations to introduce KBG into a PR lawn (think checkerboard pattern)? Would the KBG eventually spread it's way through the PR sections and take over? Let's take the "why not nuke the whole thing" equation out, just trying to see if this approach would work in theory.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 22nd, 2019, 7:05 am

That's not my understanding - find and read the Purdue study that said that the KBG couldn't be found after two years where PRG was > 20% of the mix. I tried several times (years ago) to get KBG into a PRG lawn - without success.

maynardGkeynes
Grass Type: PRG & KBG (front); TTTF & HKBG (rear)
Lawn Size: < 1000

Post by maynardGkeynes » April 22nd, 2019, 7:59 am

andy10917 wrote:
April 21st, 2019, 10:26 pm
If you start a lawn with a blend, does the PRG also take over eventually? I hope not, because a did a 70PRE/30KBG, last fall with the hope that the KBG will eventually predominate.

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » April 22nd, 2019, 8:22 am

andy10917 wrote:
April 21st, 2019, 10:26 pm
Right. I would kill off the PR and seed the KBG.
Bales9er wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 12:49 am
... but what about avoiding an entire reno and doing sections of RU instead, almost like mini renovations to introduce KBG into a PR lawn (think checkerboard pattern)? Would the KBG eventually spread it's way through the PR sections and take over? Let's take the "why not nuke the whole thing" equation out, just trying to see if this approach would work in theory.

Curious about that myself. My PR suffered a good deal of winter kill. So I will be reseeding those bare spots. I considered using kbg to see if it would take and to make the transition to kbg gradual over the course of a few years - plant kbg each spring where the PR didnt survive the winter. But I think I will stay with the PR now and when I am ready to make the conversion I will do it all at once.

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » April 22nd, 2019, 8:42 am

https://journals.ashs.org/hortsci/view/ ... e-p137.xml

This article has evidence pointing in opposite directions. In some cases PR overtook KBG. In others the KBG overtook the PR. They suggest that the different results may have been due to the use of different cultivars and different climates.