Pushing out red thread

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Pushing out red thread

Post by PSU4ME » April 16th, 2019, 6:25 pm

I know that fertilizing early in the spring is not necessary especially if you winterize correctly which I believe I did.

I do my lawn and my neighbors. For a host of reasons, he had a bad case of red thread that I feel will rear it’s ugly head this spring.

Would anyone advise to fertilize early to push it out? Thinking maybe early fertilizer followed by an app or two of serenade might work.

Open to any thoughts.

Thanks

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Pushing out red thread

Post by andy10917 » April 16th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Serenade will work, but if there have been heavy attacks in the past, my concern is the "an app or two" comment. Get it going 2-3 weeks before the typical breakout time and stay on it - regularly (every 10-14 days?). Don't quit until all Red Thread in your area has disappeared.

Bayer "Natria" is identical to "Serenade" - Bayer bought the company making Serenade and maintains both brands.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » April 16th, 2019, 8:03 pm

Thanks Andy, have you been able to find natria cheaper than what you can buy serenade for at 7 springs? It’s kike $100 and change for 2.5g

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 16th, 2019, 9:15 pm

No, but Natria is available in comsumer-size bottles (32 oz?) at big-box stores when I was a dummy and forgot to get a new (big) Serenade :blackeye:

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » April 16th, 2019, 11:29 pm

I almost fainted after seeing the title. I was like, red thread, already? But then I saw you're anticipating it and it hasn't actually happened yet. I know you had a bad time with it last year (so did I). I actually saw some in January this year, no joke.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » April 17th, 2019, 7:28 am

Ok thanks, I was seeing it locally just not the size/price I was getting the serenade at. Makes sense.

@Green, I’m expecting it on my property again this year too but nowhere near as bad as my neighbor had it. I’ve got a full arsenal of serenade, phosphite and companion to hopefully get to things before problems occur. 30k sqft get expensive though lol.

@Andy, so no early fertilizer to try and push it through or do you think it could help in conjunction with serenade?

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » April 17th, 2019, 9:25 am

I’ve got 7.5 gallons of seranade so I’ll be starting my lawn treatments around mid May...... I’ll see what my neighbors appetite is for spending the $220 for 5 gallons

__JT__
Grass Type: Northern Mix (20% each of Midnight, Diva, and Everglade Kentucky bluegrass, and 20% Zodiac chewings fescue and 20% Fiesta 4 perennial ryegrass) with Bewitched mixed into shade

Post by __JT__ » April 17th, 2019, 9:23 pm

For me it was visible last year around May 15, and lasted around 5 weeks. Surprisingly, I didn’t see it in the fall. My thinking is that it’s there a few weeks before visible symptoms. I’m putting some organics (bay state .44#N) down this week end, but that’s also to get a better spread for SOP, and condition soil. Not saying its best practice, but that’s what I’ve been messing around with…

Last year’s serenade was April 29, May 13th, 23, June 2, 29, but this year I may cut it down this year for feasibleness ….I also plan a cracked corn May 1. I have a third of your area to cover…

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » April 17th, 2019, 10:13 pm

Where do you buy cracked corn? I would like to find a local place for bulk cornmeal as I read cracked corn can still sprout but I have no experience.

I’d love to put some down but buying designer bags isn’t too cheap.

__JT__
Grass Type: Northern Mix (20% each of Midnight, Diva, and Everglade Kentucky bluegrass, and 20% Zodiac chewings fescue and 20% Fiesta 4 perennial ryegrass) with Bewitched mixed into shade

Post by __JT__ » April 18th, 2019, 6:43 am

I got it at Agway. It think it was 10ish. 3 bags for me is ~15#K. I've never been to the TSC in Millis, and one just opened in Woonsocket, looks like they carry it too. I didn't get sprouts last year, but a lot of rodent activity tho...

This "thread" is a good reminder. I think I will ramp up against it this year and keep going with Seranade and kelp help...

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » April 18th, 2019, 7:39 am

I’ll call agway in Franklin and see what they have. TSC in Westborough has “producers pride” cracked corn for $10 a bag but for the $100 it is for an application I wonder if I’m better off buying more serenade or companion.

Need to read a bit more of what the CC promotes