Grass growing at different rate

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Ruxie88
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Grass growing at different rate

Post by Ruxie88 » April 20th, 2019, 8:26 pm

Being new to lawncare, I have a question wondering why different grasses grow a different rates? I have a mixed lawn and some grass grew quickly coming out of winter weeks ago. Some is just starting top growth.

This caused a lumpy lawn. Since all the different grasses are now growing (top growth) it is more even after mowing.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Grass growing at different rate

Post by Green » April 20th, 2019, 10:57 pm

They just do. Genetics. It's worst this time of year, because some green up earlier. It should even out more in the next couple of weeks.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 21st, 2019, 10:40 am

They green-up at different times for the same reason that Oak trees are larger than apple trees - because they have DNA that tells the plant how large they will eventually be, or when it is time to begin emerging from dormancy. You may see them all as "lawn grass", but they are very different plants. PRG is Lolium perenne, and KBG is Poa pratensis - they are not only different species, they are different genuses that evolved at different places on Earth with different evolutionary paths. These are not factory-specified products, they are living things.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » April 21st, 2019, 2:28 pm

Mow more often and that lawn wont be lumpy for long ;)

Smolenski7
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Smolenski7 » April 21st, 2019, 6:08 pm

The "lumpiness" is one of the things I really don't like about my lawn. I tell my wife at least 3-5 times a year that I want to kill the whole thing and start over.......but she would kill me :club: before the lawn actually died. On the bright side, it would be a quick death. :blackeye:

Ruxie88
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by Ruxie88 » April 21st, 2019, 7:50 pm

Appreciate the knowledge. I would say that all the different genuses are coming out of dormancy. After the mow this morning (HOC 2.5 in), the grass height is more even across the entire lawn. I will continue to mow frequent enough so I can stick to the 1/3 rule. Thanks!

Maizan24
Level: Novice

Post by Maizan24 » April 22nd, 2019, 10:26 am

Smolenski7 wrote:
April 21st, 2019, 6:08 pm
The "lumpiness" is one of the things I really don't like about my lawn. I tell my wife at least 3-5 times a year that I want to kill the whole thing and start over.......but she would kill me :club: before the lawn actually died. On the bright side, it would be a quick death. :blackeye:
:rotfl: sounds like my wife to a t. My strategy to overcome that is just do smallish renos every year. Soon enough it will all get done. Or you can also "accidentally"use round up on a large section. Then just say that its already messed up, might as well start fresh.