Working around tight mowing schedule.

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Maizan24
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Working around tight mowing schedule.

Post by Maizan24 » April 22nd, 2019, 10:33 am

Wondering if anyone can give me any tips. I've been struggling to keep up with the mow this year and we are only just getting underway. Seems like we are getting a lot of ill-timed rain. So between the weather, my work schedule and having to take care of a 4 year old because my wife has been taking care of her gravely ill mother, I cant find the time. The nitrogen from fall has turbo charged my turf.

I know I cant cut it down to a good height in one pass. Will take me 2 mows to get it where it needs to be. I think even at my mowers highest setting I'll run into some clumping issues.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Working around tight mowing schedule.

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » April 22nd, 2019, 10:54 am

Hire someone to cut it? I had to do this when my kids were small.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by PSU4ME » April 22nd, 2019, 11:17 am

Possibly a PGR?

lojack323
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: < 1000
Level: Some Experience

Post by lojack323 » April 22nd, 2019, 12:24 pm

You could involve your 4 year old with the yard work, it gets them outside and occupies them while you do your thing. My two kids, now 3 and 5, have been outside while I work in the yard since they were toddlers. My 5 year old is actually really helpful with easier tasks. He even helped us transplant a smaller fruit tree over the weekend. He was in charge of the hose when we were refilling the planting hole so we didn't have to stop shoveling. A few weeks ago I was leveling an area of the backyard and they even filled a wheelbarrow full of dirt for me (hey one less I had to do!). You'd be surprised how helpful kids can be in the yard and even if they're not helping, mine just like watching me mow sometimes lol.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » April 22nd, 2019, 12:37 pm

Other ideas: if you absolutely have to, bag the clippings instead of mulching.
Also maybe don't use any Spring Nitrogen at all this year. (You could use a very low rate--under 1/3 lb/K--later this Spring if it's really needed, though.)

The other thing is, and it might seem counterintuitive, but maintaining it at a higher HOC is going to buy you a bit more leeway between mowings. The problem with cutting it down all at once, or even over a few days by cutting twice, is that it can produce some level of surge growth a week or so later--exactly what you don't want. This may sound counterintuitive, too, but it's what I've observed.

Maizan24
Grass Type: Northern mix
Level: Novice

Post by Maizan24 » April 22nd, 2019, 6:05 pm

Thanks for the advice all. Unfortunately, I think it's only going to be a temporary setback. I don't think my mother in law is going to last until weeks end. :cry: I don't have any pgr but it's something I've wanted to invest in. So that option is off the table at the moment. I'll see how much is coming off the top on the highest setting. If I'm still getting some clumping I'll throw the bag on. Also might do what green said and keep it at max height until I can get out there a couple times a week on a regular basis. Thanks again folks.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » April 23rd, 2019, 12:20 am

Best wishes to her and everyone.