Are you up to the max height of cut for your lawn yet?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Are you up to the max height of cut for your lawn yet?

Post by andy10917 » May 11th, 2019, 12:58 pm

My "Emblem" lawn (a notorious late-riser) just reached fully-awake in all areas (cool, shade areas last). Full height is probably still 7-10 days away.

We've had measurable rain (even if just drizzle) for 28 days in a row. It's been cool and rainy with not much sun. It rained after midnight, and will be a washout tomorrow. Monday and Tuesday will have rain.

Paul
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG Monostand
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Paul » May 12th, 2019, 12:19 pm

2.5 inches and never change it.

Coop_V
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Coop_V » May 12th, 2019, 5:05 pm

I've been cutting my tttf at 4.5" since late April.

Jackson
Grass Type: Cool Northern
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Jackson » May 13th, 2019, 3:22 pm

My front yard is finally all even at 3.25 and growing like weeds. 3/4 of the back yard is up to the same, but I have an area that is shaded that is very slowly getting up to where I want it to be; maybe 2 more weeks.

I've been helping my new neighbor get his yard in shape. Previous owner's idea of lawn maintenance was scalping the yard every few weeks when the weeds got too long. New guy wanted to re-sod and asked me what I thought. Based on the fact that where the previous owners dog pooped was beautiful grass KBG I told him I would wait and see.

First order of business was getting some nutrients into the soil and getting the cutting height up. Mower only trims a few strays here and there on the majority of the yard - however the front 1/2 of the front yard is up to 3.25 and it looks absolutely amazing. I'd say it will be the end of May before the entire yard is long enough to get mowed.

napper
Grass Type: Midnight II, Rhapsody, Blueberry, Bewitched
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by napper » May 15th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Not yet. At 3.25 and climbing.

CPascal
Grass Type: Back: 65% KBG (Bedazzled, NuDestiny, Rhapsody),20% PRG, 15% Firefly Hard Fescue. Front: Double Eagle Perennial Rye Shaded areas: Mix of fine fescues and Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by CPascal » May 16th, 2019, 9:18 am

3.5 inches as of yesterday

jimmo
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Level: Not Specified

Post by jimmo » May 17th, 2019, 9:21 am

I'm at about 3.75in on my NoMix in central Ohio. I start at 3in for first cut and work my way up to 4in by June.

spectrum1c
Grass Type: KBG front yard, Tall Fescue backyard
Level: Some Experience

Post by spectrum1c » May 28th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Sorry HoosierLawnGnome, just saw your suggestion and appreciate the offer. I think I solved my issue. I believe my lawn was starved for nitrogen. A large section was literally 1/2" tall and not growing despite all the rain we had received. I was deliberately holding off on fertilizing to force root growth but don't think it was a good idea on my immature elite kbg which was planted last fall (plus I never did a final boost of fertilizer after going dormant for winter).
What tipped me off was the clover infestation which I've read is an indication of poor soil nitrogen (though my soil analysis for this year actually looked pretty good).
After fertilizing, the lawn is quickly starting to look respectable

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 28th, 2019, 8:39 pm

spectrum1c wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 4:13 pm
Sorry HoosierLawnGnome, just saw your suggestion and appreciate the offer. I think I solved my issue. I believe my lawn was starved for nitrogen. A large section was literally 1/2" tall and not growing despite all the rain we had received. I was deliberately holding off on fertilizing to force root growth but don't think it was a good idea on my immature elite kbg which was planted last fall (plus I never did a final boost of fertilizer after going dormant for winter).
What tipped me off was the clover infestation which I've read is an indication of poor soil nitrogen (though my soil analysis for this year actually looked pretty good).
After fertilizing, the lawn is quickly starting to look respectable
Yeah, even with a winterizer, a new lawn is super hungry that first spring. Makes sense it needed more N.