Tenacity question

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Tenacity question

Post by flyin-lowe » May 17th, 2019, 7:43 am

I have been DIY'ing most of my lawn needs for many years. I usually take the easiest approach which includes 2 4D once or twice a year and fall application of Urea. My yard is huge (5 acres) so I go the cheap route and don't sweat the other stuff. Some of you remember I did 2 separate renovations over the past several years (1 acre at a time) to get the lawn leveled out. The acre I did last year (TTTF) didn't do as good as the first acre because I am relying on mother nature for water. Anyway it has filled in better then expected this spring and my plan was to put down a Pre M for crabgrass because I had a ton of it last fall after the reno. Life got in the way and I didn't get any put down. I did spray it with Trimec last week to treat the broad leaf and clover that was in it. I am in Indiana and didn't know if it would be best to put some type of granular Pre M down now to help combat the crabgrass that is still to come up or if Tenacity would be a better option? I don't really know anything about Tenacity and was unsure how soon I could apply it after putting down Trimec? I know I have a late start and my situation isn't ideal but with a yard my size and no way to irrigate it I have to plan what I do around mother nature (and work,and coaching, and 2 kids, etc.....). I am only asking about the acre I reno'd last year not the entire 5 acres...

flyin-lowe

Re: Tenacity question

Post by flyin-lowe » May 17th, 2019, 9:47 am

Since posting this I have read some more about Tenacity. Some links say it is better suited for spot treatment as apposed to a broadcast application from a tank sprayer. How do you guys use it?

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 17th, 2019, 10:19 am

I wouldnt use tenacity to treat crabgrass and be a temporary pre emergent. It's pretty expensive and not as good as separate, different products.

Get some prodiamine wdg. It will last several years and is only $60. Put a full app out now. You could apply something with quinclorac like Q4 Plus in it to kill the crabgrass that's germinated already. You can apply them together since it seems efficiency is the name of the game for you wmtimewise on 5 acres.

They would be more effective applied separately, since you'd want some surfactant with the quinclora herbicide and not with the prodiamine.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » May 17th, 2019, 10:29 am

If you use Dimension as a Pre-M it will take care of some new post emergent Crab Grass. Dimension seems to be more of a granular product than one you spray, but I do think you can buy a concentrate version.

Keep in mind to get a post emergent result the application rate is higher than the pre-m rate, and could screw up any re-seeding later in the year.

Unfortunately Dimension is more expensive than prodiamine.

flyin-lowe

Post by flyin-lowe » May 17th, 2019, 10:46 am

A friend of mine is a landscaper and he told me he has some good pre M I am just not sure exactly what it was he was going to get me. Ill check back in once I find out.

flyin-lowe

Post by flyin-lowe » May 18th, 2019, 8:30 pm

So I ordered a 5 lbs of the prodiamine wdg from amazon and it should be here on Monday. After I ordered that my buddy brought me over 4 bags of granular prodiamine/fert. I think it was like 14-0-6 or something, I cant remember now. I went ahead and put that on the reno from last year since we are supposed to get a good rain tomorrow. There is another acre that I reno'd several years ago and I am going to put the wdg that I ordered from amazon once I get it.

flyin-lowe

Post by flyin-lowe » May 21st, 2019, 8:08 am

Saturday I put down the Pre M I got from my friend on the new reno. We got a good heavy rain on Sunday. Last night I mixed up 1 pound of of the WDG with 30 gallons of water and spread it over an acre from the reno a couple years ago. I am curious to see which seems to preform better. We are supposed to get some rain today and a few more days this week.