Is any particular type of grass darker than the rest (all else being equal)?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Is any particular type of grass darker than the rest (all else being equal)?

Post by southern-ct-4 » May 17th, 2019, 5:39 pm

Or is it strictly a matter of taking care of the soil, etc... that brings out the deep green?

I ask because there's a house near me, on a main road, with a fantastic looking lawn, including the few feet of lawn (4' deep and 40' wide, or so) between the curb and a rock wall (despite, I'm sure, getting hit with road salt, etc... in the winter). Every time I drive by I am in awe of this section and how great it looks (along with the rest of the yard as well).

I've never had a chance to take a closer look (again, it's on a main road), but I'm wondering if, in general, there's a particular type of grass (KBG/TTTF/Rye) that can be darker green than the others, all else being equal, or is it truly only a matter of taking care of the lawn (soil tests and the necessary nutrients...)?

Just from driving by it looks like it might be a thicker blade, but I'm not really sure.

It looks incredibly good/dark even in the middle of the day when many other lawns are getting hit by the sun at not a great angle, and look a bit lighter, even if at other times they look darker. For example, in the middle of the day my lawn looks so-so, but in the morning and evening, as the sun is getting lower, it looks so much better/darker. This other lawn just looks dark all day long.

Just wondering your thoughts, not trying to open a can of worms of any kind.

Thanks.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Is any particular type of grass darker than the rest (all else being equal)?

Post by andy10917 » May 17th, 2019, 7:12 pm

It's simple, really...

Genetics set the bar on how good the lawn can be with excellent care.

How the lawn comes out is related to what "excellent care" turns out to be.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Re: Is any particular type of grass darker than the rest (all else being equal)?

Post by Green » May 17th, 2019, 8:40 pm

If it's a thicker blade and extremely dark in color, it very well could be KBG. Andy has shown how dark Emblem is. Even Midnight is pretty dark (and has a thicker blade compared to, say, the latest PR cultivars). But I've found that the latest PR is pretty darn dark compared to most anything else these days. Darker than KBG in a lot of cases. If it's TTTF, it could still be super dark, though (even though the darkest TTTF today is "only" about the same as "Bewitched" in color)...maybe they spray iron on it. If it's shiny, probably PR or a mix with PR in it. PR blades look very similar to plastic-coated twist-ties on the backside.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » May 17th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Its not how dark it is, its how many lime green POA spots show up :-(

Can't wait for the day when lime green Triv color is cool again and hides all the mistakes :-)

Green

Post by Green » May 17th, 2019, 10:13 pm

northeastlawn wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 9:18 pm
Its not how dark it is, its how many lime green POA spots show up :-(

Can't wait for the day when lime green Triv color is cool again and hides all the mistakes :-)
Not likely to happen. More likely to have advances in selective herbicides over time. I know, it was a bit facetious. You can always grow the light green Euro PR.

john5246
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by john5246 » May 18th, 2019, 1:11 pm

andy10917 wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 7:12 pm
It's simple, really...

Genetics set the bar on how good the lawn can be with excellent care.

How the lawn comes out is related to what "excellent care" turns out to be.
In other words start with the best genetics. (as in, improved varieties of grass, same goes for the plants your buy for your garden! get improved varieties)

The rest is just a matter of soil management...meaning you make sure the soil has everything the grass needs to be healthy. A $30 soil test can make all the difference and also save you money because you won't be putting down things in the lawn that you don't need (e.g. if you lawn is rich in phosphorus you won't need to add that)

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue

Post by llO0DQLE » May 18th, 2019, 10:59 pm

Green wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 8:40 pm
(even though the darkest TTTF today is "only" about the same as "Bewitched" in color)
Are you saying Bewitched is lighter than most KBG cultivars?

Green

Post by Green » May 18th, 2019, 11:27 pm

llO0DQLE wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 10:59 pm
Green wrote:
(even though the darkest TTTF today is "only" about the same as "Bewitched" in color)
Are you saying Bewitched is lighter than most KBG cultivars?
No. It's one of the darker ones, but not the darkest. That's why "only" is in quotes. But some people want even darker and seem to never be satisfied, so there are darker cultivars (some of the compact midnights) and species (some PR varieties). My point was that I feel the latest TTTF (and Bewitched) are a really nice color, personally. But if what southern-CT saw was even darker, it could be a blend with a Midnight category KBG.

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » May 18th, 2019, 11:44 pm

In your experience, which KBG cultivars are darker than Bewitched? I recall TT saying it's darker than Midnight and Blueberry. In fact, I think he said Midnight was lightest of the three. But this is at year 2 or 3 or older.

Green

Post by Green » May 18th, 2019, 11:47 pm

llO0DQLE wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 11:44 pm
In your experience, which KBG cultivars are darker than Bewitched? I recall TT saying it's darker than Midnight and Blueberry. In fact, I think he said Midnight was lightest of the three. But this is at year 2 or 3 or older.
I'm not sure which ones...I know I've seen some in person, but I don't know what they were. They were more blue-green.

Is the original Midnight really the lightest of those three once they're mature?

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » May 18th, 2019, 11:50 pm

I have no idea. I have no first hand experience. I just seem to recall TT saying that. He said that Bewitched was very dark by year 2 or 3 and surpassed Blueberry. Bewitched does seem to be light green in year 1. I also seem to recall TT saying that Midnight was not even a contender.

Iowa Jim
Grass Type: kentucky bluegrass

Post by Iowa Jim » May 19th, 2019, 6:21 am

Mazama is a very dark cultivar. I have a mix of mazama, midnight and bewitched and they go together well, you can't see any difference in them. Bewitched started out a little lighter than the other two but by this spring it has caught up to them. I did a reno last fall.

Wally
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Wally » May 19th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Green wrote:
If it's a thicker blade and extremely dark in color, it very well could be KBG. Andy has shown how dark Emblem is. Even Midnight is pretty dark (and has a thicker blade compared to, say, the latest PR cultivars). But I've found that the latest PR is pretty darn dark compared to most anything else these days. Darker than KBG in a lot of cases. If it's TTTF, it could still be super dark, though (even though the darkest TTTF today is "only" about the same as "Bewitched" in color)...maybe they spray iron on it. If it's shiny, probably PR or a mix with PR in it. PR blades look very similar to plastic-coated twist-ties on the backside.
What are the darkest TTTF's cultivars?

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » May 19th, 2019, 8:31 pm

But doesn’t the soil it’s growing in play a role with grass color too?

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » May 19th, 2019, 11:42 pm

KBGkicksazz wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 8:31 pm
But doesn’t the soil it’s growing in play a role with grass color too?
Yes.

But the original question specified "all else being equal" so the soil chemistry is a separate question.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » May 20th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Wally wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 7:52 pm
Green wrote:
What are the darkest TTTF's cultivars?
Your answers are to be found here:

https://www.ntep.org/

Of course, you should check back at least yearly. Also, make sure to use the closest test site to your location.

A grass that does well and exhibits certain traits in my area may differ in a different location.

https://www.ntep.org/

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 20th, 2019, 3:25 pm

My blueberry lawn was darker than my bewitched lawn at my last place.

But I live in a different area with different soil and weather.

Consider height of cut too. I think bewitched does better at low HOC for color and desease resistance.

Maintenance schedules matter!

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by Masbustelo » May 20th, 2019, 11:15 pm

I've been reading along on this thread for a couple of weeks. I would like to add, that I have mostly perennial rye of unknown varieties. I did the fall nitrogen apps last year. Last fall and this spring I did a 1/4 inch covering of compost, and I have been using Milorganite this spring. I also have some Mayama mixed in. The yard is so dark green, even a two year old commented on it today. No difference in color between the rye and Mayama.

Green

Post by Green » May 20th, 2019, 11:50 pm

You have Mazama KBG mixed with PR? If so, I bet it's really nice.
Is the PR actually 140 years old?!

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by Masbustelo » May 21st, 2019, 6:55 am

The Mazama is just now establishing itself. My lawn was filled with creeping charlie and nimble will last year. I bought a thatch rake and spent hours ripping it out. Then I overseeded with all kinds of stupid cheap seed mixes. The cheapest at menards, Farm and Fleet. The cheap mixes have lots of annual rye in them. At Christmas last year I overseeded the Mazama. It seems to be catching in the bare spots left by the Annual rye. It looks like I mostly have perennial rye. I don't know what will win out long term. My house is 140 years old, and no one has ever killed off the grass and started over. It had some old fashioned fine fescue in shady areas, but at the moment that has disappeared. I don't have irrigation, so I don't know what will happen in July and August this year.