Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
CVette
Grass Type: Bewitched Front, Bewitched-NuGlade-Bedazzled Back
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Seed suggestions for shade reno

Post by CVette » May 22nd, 2019, 9:13 pm

Hi All,
About 7 years ago I reno'd most of my back yard using Bewitched/Nuglade/Bedazzled. Even though some areas only get about 2-4 hours of sun, I figured I'd redo anything that didn't survive due to lack of direct sun. It's thin and I'm thinking it's time to redo it. All of my reno's so far have been KBG but I am thinking of trying something else that will have a better chance of thriving in shade. I know it's tough to grow in shade but I was hoping to gather some suggestions of other cool-season grasses to try. My notes from years ago show Bonnie Dunes as a possible shade mix.

Does anyone have suggestions for a shade mix that would look similar to Bewitched so I can transition it? Aside from the shade, a healthy resistance to red thread would be a plus. Thanks!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Re: Seed suggestions for shade reno

Post by Green » May 22nd, 2019, 9:46 pm

For something compatible with Bewitched in color and growth rate, and resistant to red thread, but with more shade tolerance than Bewitched, you're going to want to most likely go TTTF. If your turf has thinned, a good raking will be plenty to be able to overseed with it in the shady areas. Go for the darkest green cultivar(s) you can find according to NTEP. Those will have about the same color as Bewitched, but with a very slightly broader, and noticeably stiffer blade.

The other option is Mazama KBG, which is compatible with Bewitched in most ways, but is not as shade tolerant as TTTF. It's a Midnight class by America class cross.

I'd stay away from FF since you're concerned about both color and red thread tolerance.

CVette
Grass Type: Bewitched Front, Bewitched-NuGlade-Bedazzled Back

Post by CVette » May 23rd, 2019, 8:57 am

Thanks Green. When we bought the house it was predominantly FF and the front yard is still FF since I haven't reno'd it yet. It gets red thread every year and I simply let it run its coarse. Thankfully the KBG hasn't been afflicted by any disease I've seen attack the FF.

Some searching revealed that creeping, chewings and hard are all FF so I probably don't want any of the shade mixes sold at places like seedsuperstore. I'll do some research on varieties of TTTF and come up with a mix that may include a little Mazama.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » May 23rd, 2019, 1:13 pm

You're welcome. I think with a bit of shade, this strategy will work well. If there's less than 5 hours of sun during the peak of June, even TTTF may start to struggle, though. FF is a bit better for shade tolerance, but even it has limits.