Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Yellow nutsedge sucks...

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 29th, 2019, 9:59 pm

....but its better than poa trivialis!

I have about a dozen patches of yellow Martha Effin nutsedge Sadly I treated these same patches with hi yield nutsedge control herbicide last year and thought i got it for good.

Nope. Came roaring back. Worse.

The challenge is that it comes in long after i do my blanket sprays for other things like clover, so it's not actively growing to be killed then. It arrives in mid May here.

I hit it with some tenacity last night, mostly to highlight it so when i come back to hit it with nutsedge killer i can find it. Tenacity weakens it but isn't very effective. It's hard to find in low cut turf for a few days.

:club:

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Yellow nutsedge sucks...

Post by Green » May 29th, 2019, 10:43 pm

Is it me, or does this stuff follow you when you move to a new place?

I bought some Prosedge and used half a packet a couple years ago. I think it got rid of the Kyllinga (which had really cool seedheads). I remember spraying some yellow nutsedge as well.

I think I saw one sedge plant this past week...

john5246
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by john5246 » May 29th, 2019, 11:02 pm

don't you need to apply sedehammer on a regular basis to fully kill it?

kbgfarmer
Grass Type: Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by kbgfarmer » May 29th, 2019, 11:57 pm

Green wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 10:43 pm
Is it me, or does this stuff follow you when you move to a new place?

I bought some Prosedge and used half a packet a couple years ago. I think it got rid of the Kyllinga (which had really cool seedheads). I remember spraying some yellow nutsedge as well.

I think I saw one sedge plant this past week...
Yellow nutsedge is nothing compared to evil quackgrass. It followed me to my new place. Both are “water” grasses imho and even look similar! They love overwatered saturated waterlogged soil and thrive in it! My goal this year despite having another irrigation system is to starve these bastards of water.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 30th, 2019, 8:06 am

john5246 wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 11:02 pm
don't you need to apply sedehammer on a regular basis to fully kill it?
Yeah it's usually a couple apps. The hi yield sedge control has the same ai as sedgehammer and did a great job last time i used it. Much better than triclopyr and far superior to tenacity.

Last year that stuff disappeared after 2 apps. Came back.

Apparently it takes a few years to exhaust the bank of tubers.

Jackson
Grass Type: Cool Northern

Post by Jackson » May 31st, 2019, 10:34 am

I used Roundup® For Lawns2 Concentrate last year and it took out my nutsedge. I haven't seen a single blade pop-up this year.

It just shriveled up and died.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 31st, 2019, 11:09 am

Jackson wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 10:34 am
I used Roundup® For Lawns2 Concentrate last year and it took out my nutsedge. I haven't seen a single blade pop-up this year.

Hmm. That's a new product I haven't tried before. https://www.roundup.com/en-us/products/ ... oncentrate

It seems to be pricey, but it seems to handle most of the Level 1 and Level 2 weeds in the
Triangle Approach

Looks like it might be an excellent product to recommend to friends that aren't really lawn hobbyists but want to conveniently get rid of the weeds in their lawn.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 1st, 2019, 6:53 am

Yeah, I've never seen that either. Looks like it has some sulfentrazone in it that would target yellow nutsedge. Its formulation looks a lot like Q4 plus, which i have but haven't needed to use.

In this case, all I need to treat is yellow nutsedge, and the packet of sedge killer is half the price.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 4th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Ok. The tenacity has made fugly white spots. Once damage hits max I'll hit it again with nutsedge killer or triclopyr. FUUUUGLY

Jackson
Grass Type: Cool Northern

Post by Jackson » June 19th, 2019, 12:28 am

ken-n-nancy wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 11:09 am
Jackson wrote:

Hmm. That's a new product I haven't tried before. https://www.roundup.com/en-us/products/ ... oncentrate

It seems to be pricey, but it seems to handle most of the Level 1 and Level 2 weeds in the
Triangle Approach

Looks like it might be an excellent product to recommend to friends that aren't really lawn hobbyists but want to conveniently get rid of the weeds in their lawn.
I’ve tried a few concentrates and found some that ‘worked.’ Meaning it would kill what I could see, but more would pop up the following week. I went to the hardware store during a sedge outbreak and they were out of what I was using. I was recommended Roundup and I reluctantly purchased.

I’ve was astonished that after I sprayed it delivered the knock-out punch - not a single sedge popped up the following week or the week after, not a year later. And it kills anything that I want to be gone in my yard. I haven’t used it since that application because I have concentrates that address my needs. But if I ever see a sedge it would be my go to without hesitation.

As for the price... it has a money back guarantee. If it doesn’t kill your yellow nutsedge you’re no worse off.

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Level: Some Experience

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 19th, 2019, 6:55 am

Agreed on the ease of use.

My next door neighbor is following some recommendations and planted a NoMix lawn on Monday.

Knowing the weeds will come I’ll have him use this once we get to that point. Throw in a hose end sprayer and done as he doesn’t have any sprayers, etc.
ken-n-nancy wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 11:09 am
Jackson wrote:

Triangle Approach

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » June 22nd, 2019, 3:04 pm

Yellow Nutsedge is very hard to kill. It has a tendency to come back next year even if you were on top of spraying. Roundup isn't a guaranteed kill with multiple applications in my experience. I even solarized a garden bed for an entire year and it is coming back.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 23rd, 2019, 2:23 am

So my original plans changed due to daily rain.

The priority when it's been dry enough to be in the yard has been mowing.

The Tenacoty had about 50 percent control in treated patches above after the whitening went away. Not bad.

I applied hinyield sedge control after a mow. It was a risk with chances of rain. Fortunately it was a beautiful evening and we had only a slight sprinkle for a few minutes several hours after application, so I think it will be pretty effective.

The challenge was identifying yellow nutsedge in freshly mown turf where there is mud and sparodic chlorosis from excessive rain. I think I got most spots.

Bernstem - it takes multiple kills for sure. I even have it coming up in areas i treated and covered with weed fabric.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » July 1st, 2019, 9:14 am

Yellow Nutsedge will grow through any small crack in the fabric and then start growing in the mulch on top. I have areas that still have Yellow Nutsedge after 5 years of treatment. I just keep hitting it every time it pops up. I figure in about 10 years or so, it might be eradicated.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 1st, 2019, 10:14 am

bernstem wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 9:14 am
Yellow Nutsedge will grow through any small crack in the fabric and then start growing in the mulch on top. I have areas that still have Yellow Nutsedge after 5 years of treatment. I just keep hitting it every time it pops up. I figure in about 10 years or so, it might be eradicated.
It has spread this year in my short turf. It does really well in this condition apparently. I'm up for another app soon. I missed the individual plants here and there last time I applied. Day 2 after a mow it is taller than my turf, so it's a lot easier to see....

But the stuff I hit is dying slowly and nicely!