Tell us about your experiences helping neighbors

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Tell us about your experiences helping neighbors

Post by schreibdave » May 31st, 2019, 7:03 am

I have been the resident "Lawn Nut" in my last 4 homes. In 3 out of 4 of those homes mine was the best in the neighborhood. That always lead to neighbors stopping and asking "what do you do to your lawn?" or" "who do you use." My immediate neighbors saw me outside working on the lawn most days. They saw the big spreader, the backpack sprayer and hose end sprayer, saw the truck bed full of bags of milorganite, etc and knew enough not to ask. People who stopped to talk were usually people I didnt know. They figured that I was simply using a better brand of fertilizer than what they used or that my lawn service was somehow better. They had zero interest in doing what we all do. I used to give a complete answer to this question and talk about soil, seed, HOC, mowing practices, N,P and K soil conditioner, etc etc. The last time I gave that full answer the guy asked me "is it cheaper to do all that than to pay someone to mow and fertilize?" When I told him "no, it's probably substantially more" the conversation quickly ended. Now I tell people my secret is "spend all my time and money on the lawn" and that usually ends the conversation.

What have your experiences been?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Tell us about your experiences helping neighbors

Post by turf_toes » May 31st, 2019, 8:48 am

Huh. My own experience is it is cheaper to do the work yourself (assuming you already have the equipment). Not only is it cheaper, it keeps the lawn service equipment from spreading weeds and fungi into my yard (stuff spread from previous customers)

Once the lawn is established, it’s just fertilize and mow. I’ve helped several neighbors, past and present, do Renos.

But most folks just don’t want to spend the time cutting their own grass or fertilizing. Very few folks here even own their own mowers, yet alone a lawn spreader.

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » May 31st, 2019, 11:09 am

I've never had a lawn service so I can't speak to that part of the equation. But if I were to add up the money that I spend on this hobby I think it would be more than what my neighbors spend to have someone else do the work. Of course mine looks good and theirs doesnt.

But what I really wanted to hear about is people's experiences trying to help their neighbors.

john5246
Grass Type: KBG

Post by john5246 » May 31st, 2019, 11:52 am

I'm more than happy to help anyone, if I can get these idiots to just put down a weed and feed the entire neighborhood would be better off.

Yesterday (I kid you not) I see 1000's of little dandelion seeds floating through the air all over the neighborhood. I think a patch the city owns just got mowed down the street...or something that released a barrage of seeds.

john5246

Post by john5246 » May 31st, 2019, 12:45 pm

schreibdave wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 11:09 am
I've never had a lawn service so I can't speak to that part of the equation. But if I were to add up the money that I spend on this hobby I think it would be more than what my neighbors spend to have someone else do the work. Of course mine looks good and theirs doesnt.

But what I really wanted to hear about is people's experiences trying to help their neighbors.
I think it's much cheaper than a lawn service once your lawn is in good condition and thick.

If you've bought the proper chemicals they are dirt cheap to apply per 1000sq ft. Maybe pennies or 10cents depending on the chemical and rate/area of application.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » May 31st, 2019, 12:52 pm

Yeah. Those services are very expensive in my area. I’ve had that conversation with many of my neighbors. But most consider their time more valuable than the cost. To them, that’s the real barrier. They’d like a nice lawn. But only if it comes as a pre-packaged service.

My annual cost is a fraction of theirs. But the real cost to them is time.

My help has been to tell them to keep doing what they’re doing.

KBGkicksazz
Level: Some Experience

Post by KBGkicksazz » May 31st, 2019, 2:30 pm

Fools errand.

Most men think they are experts on grass. Scott’s is partly to blame.

I’ve been a lawn nut for years and giving lawn advice will either get you labeled a mad scientist Earth killing chemical deviant, or they will follow myths and “common knowledge”

Lose-lose.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » May 31st, 2019, 3:36 pm

I find most people just want grass. They don’t want to spend the time or energy on it.

Anything beyond a single once and done application and they don’t have the interest.
schreibdave wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 11:09 am

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 31st, 2019, 8:32 pm

I don't give unsolicited advice for one.

I've never had a good experience telling people that dont even cut their own grass how to have a better lawn. That's like the least you can do. If you dont have time for that you cant do this a hobby, and you just arent going to prioritize the activities needed to do it right and learn it.

That's ok. It's not for everyone.

The problem is people half listen or dont exactly follow instructions on even the most basic things and then blame you.

I literally premeasured granular pre emergent for a family member once and they put it out so late it did nothing. "You had one job"

Did the same for another family member killing clover with triclopyr and they nuked their lawn. I can only surmise they grossly overapplied it.

Everybody thinks they are an expert and can do what you do if you just tell them that one trick lol

So I limit advice to one liners of solicited input from others

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » May 31st, 2019, 9:45 pm

I’m the only dedicated lawn nut in my ‘hood.

There’s a couple who at least put down fert once or twice a year.

Even solicited advice I’m done with as well. It’s not only thankless but easy to get condemned.

Anytime I have the spreader out I have neighbors who assume it’s some toxic item. Even trying to explain about fungus prevention, or Milo, or SBM, would get twisted into something negative.

I’ve learned to ignore this topic with neighbors nowvand just do my thing.

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 8:32 pm
I don't give unsolicited advice for one.

I've never had a good experience telling people that dont even cut their own grass how to have a better lawn. That's like the least you can do. If you dont have time for that you cant do this a hobby, and you just arent going to prioritize the activities needed to do it right and learn it.

That's ok. It's not for everyone.

The problem is people half listen or dont exactly follow instructions on even the most basic things and then blame you.

I literally premeasured granular pre emergent for a family member once and they put it out so late it did nothing. "You had one job"

Did the same for another family member killing clover with triclopyr and they nuked their lawn. I can only surmise they grossly overapplied it.

Everybody thinks they are an expert and can do what you do if you just tell them that one trick lol

So I limit advice to one liners of solicited input from others

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 1st, 2019, 6:33 am

Yeah most here arent ant modern lawn care science with respect to using fertilizers or herbicides, but the silent judging and dogmaticism about certain things is out there.

There are some people that start from "thing x is bad" and interpret everything from there to reinforce it.

Trying to educate someone like that is a fools errand indeed, casting pearls to swine.

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » June 1st, 2019, 7:17 am

I have had a few neighbors start conversations about what they should do with their crappy lawn. I'll give my advice and then they'll say "well the guy at the hardware store says I need weed and feed." To which I usually say "have you been by that guys house? How's his lawn."

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 1st, 2019, 7:26 am

I cringe at the conversations i overhear at the lawn garden centers.

"Apply this lime to sweeten your soil"

They read that right off the package.

What? You gonna lick that dirt and see how it tastes to gauge health??

On an Indiana silty loam soil that has tons of Ca already and high pH in all likelihood???

JIST STAAAAAPPPP WITH THE HAAALLP

kentster
Grass Type: Northern mix

Post by kentster » June 1st, 2019, 8:28 am

Aren't we the cynical bunch... :rotfl:

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by DevilDawg81 » June 1st, 2019, 8:34 am

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
June 1st, 2019, 7:26 am

What? You gonna lick that dirt and see how it tastes to gauge health??

On an Indiana silty loam soil that has tons of Ca already and high pH in all likelihood???

JIST STAAAAAPPPP WITH THE HAAALLP
This gave me a good laugh, thank you HLG. I’ve heard the same in stores. I just get what I’m there for and leave, I don’t even try to jump in

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 1st, 2019, 2:31 pm

The lawn stuff is a weird topic.

If your lawn is “too good” you will get people assuming it’s only because of the toxic potions being applied.
That’s the environmental spin.

Some of it is envy. My lawn is not as good as yours but that’s only because you use chemicals, spent too much,.

Having owned a home since 1996 I’ve never once had a conversation about lawn advice get taken.

Ironically I had a neighbor who was very good with shrubs and perenials and I learned a ton from him.

kentster wrote:
June 1st, 2019, 8:28 am
Aren't we the cynical bunch... :rotfl:

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » June 1st, 2019, 6:53 pm

I tell people that I practice "Mushroom Management Theory" on the lawn - I feed it sh!t even if it's in the dark, and watch it grow.

If that doesn't work to drive them away, I start discussing the fact that they'll be applying something to the lawn nearly every week. They take off like their hair is on fire...

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 1st, 2019, 7:10 pm

My initial piece of advice to those that ask is to raise the cutting height and follow the 1/3 rule. That's an easy change to explain. If they do it, they're ready for more and have demonstrated the ability to do more. If they don't follow the 1/3 rule, then they aren't ready for any more advanced stuff, anyway.

SNN705
Grass Type: Old K31 NoMix overseeded w/ Black Beauty and Bewitched
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by SNN705 » June 1st, 2019, 11:10 pm

I've told my neighbor for 2 years directly across the street from us to raise his HOC and not bag. Every other week (re: not 1/3 rule) I see him out there mowing down to 2" and bagging it all.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 2nd, 2019, 9:05 am

I have a neighbor that has a pull behind thatcher he bought. Lawn is sparse grass and tons of weeds.

Zero hope to tell him it’s making things worse.
SNN705 wrote:
June 1st, 2019, 11:10 pm
I've told my neighbor for 2 years directly across the street from us to raise his HOC and not bag. Every other week (re: not 1/3 rule) I see him out there mowing down to 2" and bagging it all.