Is this a weed?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
joethebanker
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Is this a weed?

Post by joethebanker » July 7th, 2019, 11:00 am

Long time lurker from northern Massachusetts who has learned much by reading these forums. This one has me stumped. I have a significant amount of this growing along the edge of my driveway. I've hit hit a couple of times with broadleaf weed killer and also tried clover killer on it. It seems to just laugh at my attempts to wipe it out. Could this be a candidate for painting glyphosate on it?

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Is this a weed?

Post by bpgreen » July 7th, 2019, 2:13 pm

It looks like Queen Ann's Lace (aka wild carrot) to me. I would think something with 2,4d and triclopyr would kill it. You can also try hand pulling, but be sure to do that before it goes to seed. You'll also want to try to get all of the root so utter doesn't come back.

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by flyin-lowe » July 7th, 2019, 9:42 pm

I had some in my lawn and Trimec took it out.....

joethebanker
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by joethebanker » July 8th, 2019, 9:24 am

Thanks to bpgreen and flyin-lowe for their suggestions. I'll hit it again today. Never had heard of Queen Ann's Lace before, and this is the first year I've seen it in the lawn. Probably can thank my neighbors lawn service for dragging it in on their equipment,