Anyone else in the NE getting hit with rust?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Anyone else in the NE getting hit with rust?

Post by northeastlawn » July 7th, 2019, 1:24 pm

We capped off a hot week here in MA with a very humid Saturday.

I was planning on putting down some Serrenade anyway as park of the bi-weekly proactive plan, but while looking around the yard I noticed a bunch of outbreaks of rust. I'll see how the 4oz/gal rate of serenade handles it before I go with the disease-ex, but just curious if the recent hot weather caused any problems for anyone else?

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Anyone else in the NE getting hit with rust?

Post by PSU4ME » July 7th, 2019, 5:15 pm

I was just saying to my wife that I haven’t seen it at all this year...red thread yes but no rust. My lawn is in its 3rd year.

I’ve been contemplating a propiconazole application to see if I can really stunt the RT. I just put serenade down at 4oz rate and it’s keeping it at bay but I know it’s there.

Aren’t you worried about the disease-ex killing off the good bacteria?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » July 7th, 2019, 9:06 pm

It’s been my experience that Rust hits lawns hardest when they’ve been underfed. Have you tried a mild organic fertilizer to feed your lawn? Generally, you can get the grass to outgrow Rust. (Now isn’t a good time to apply synthetic fertilizer)

I’m not one of the guys applying weekly Milorganite applications. But the upside of those type of regimes is Rust (or Dollarspot) is normally not a problem.

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » July 7th, 2019, 9:17 pm

I have been doing the preventive program with Serenade since May, even though the rainy spring didn't really allow me to put down what I would have liked to. I was also feeding the lawn with BSF at 1/2 bag rate weekly up until around June 27th. I have always stopped the N in the summer as is recommended.

I applied the Serenade because I have so much invested in the preventative fungus program, I figure Ill see how it takes the Serenade the next few days. If it looks like the Serenade isn't doing the trick Ill have to use the Disease-Ex but would rather save that for bigger problems, there will be plenty more hot humid weather left to come.

I'll have to double check that Serenade treats rust, I thought I saw that it did.

KBGkicksazz
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 7th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Knock on wood, no issues so far. I applied Disease Ex about a month ago and will be putting down ProMax from HumaGrow next weekend, waiting for delivery on Tuesday.

Our next chance of rain is Thursday into Friday with temps in upper 80s so we are at the sweet spot for issues to start showing up with this humidity.

Smolenski7
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Smolenski7 » July 7th, 2019, 10:47 pm

I haven't seen any Red Thread in my lawn, but I did notice that my father (across town) did have an outbreak that has since grown out. I haven't noticed any Rust either, but trust it will come.....just too early yet.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 8th, 2019, 10:34 am

rust, $spot, red thread all have trouble outgrowing well-fed turf.

With that said, I have been hit hard with rust in the past. I blame the spores that blow in from adjacent fields when they are harvested. It can kill the grass if it is that bad, because it will cover the plant and prevent it from photosynthesizing, like a blanket or tarp would do etc.

lVlrBoJang1es

Post by lVlrBoJang1es » July 8th, 2019, 12:01 pm

FWIW:

The last two years I was hit pretty hard with rust, although it wasn't until the last week of August in '18, and the first week of August in '17. I was on a bi-weekly milorganite plan with about 1/3 bag rate in '18, and 1/2 bag rate in '17. In both cases, it was detrimental to the health of my grass so i resorted to synthetic fungicides.

I'm sure that some of the blame can be placed on my new-to-lawn-care practices, especially last year when I had received my order of PGR in mid August and was anxious to start applying - the first application conveniently happened a week before my rust outbreak (which was 3 weeks later than the year before, so i naively thought i was in the clear). :banghead:

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 8th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Rust blows in from warmer climates, infects the area, and is largely killed off over winter, so it's hard to predict.

In my situation, i see tractors, then clouds of dust when they harvest nearby soybean and corn fields so I know to look for jt. That dust is a mix of debris and whatever was on the plants, like corn rust.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » July 8th, 2019, 4:45 pm

I had a little rust in early spring when the sun disappeared on us, but nothing serious. Im seeing a fair amount of leaf spot, dollar spot, and red thread in local lawns.

Not fungus related but as an aside: I've noticed nimblewill making a move over the past couple weeks.

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » July 9th, 2019, 4:14 pm

Checked the lawn after being at work a couple of days.

The rust seems about the same even with the Serenade app last weekend. After doing some searching here and online, I think I am going to try a few things tonight...

1.) Lower my cut from 3.5" to about 3". I always seem to have disease problems at 3.5" and abov. I was trying 3.5" again with the prevetative serenade apps, but going to try and lower the HOC one notch.

2.) Throw down some Urea at 0.25#N/K, and water it in tomorrow morning. I hate to do this in the summer, but it seems like the N may help.

3.) Put another serenade app down Thursday, before all the muggy weather hits us again this weekend.

If this fails I will have to resort to Disease-EX again and wipe out all the Serenade I have been putting down since May, but whatever I need to do to deal with it.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 9th, 2019, 6:17 pm

northeastlawn wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 4:14 pm
If this fails I will have to resort to Disease-EX again and wipe out all the Serenade I have been putting down since May, but whatever I need to do to deal with it.
I'm not sure that the above is true -- does azoxystrobin (the active ingredient in Scotts DiseaseEx) actually kill the bacteria that is in Serenade, Bacillus Subtilis strain QST 713?

I'm pretty sure I've seen a fungicide compatibility chart which indicated that Heritage (an azoxystrobin AI) and Serenade were compatible with one another.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » July 9th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Yes...I have some rust. And I was late fertilizing by about 3 weeks, so it's not too surprising.

agn015
Grass Type: Hogan Blend - GTO/Hemi/Hot Rod TTTF Everest/Award/Everglade/Midnight KBG

Post by agn015 » September 10th, 2019, 10:20 am

I just noticed some rust in my lawn here on Long Island. From a distance I thought it was all over, but it appears to just be on the north side of the house and in the really shady areas, most likely due to the slower growth in those areas. It doesn't seem to be an intense outbreak so hopefully I can keep it under control.

I'm assuming the rest of the brown haze in the lawn is the shedding that's explained in the Fall Nitrogen Regimens. I've been keeping up with serenade getting about 2 apps down per month just before conditions seem right and I'm planning to get another one down today.

TimmyG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » September 10th, 2019, 10:41 am

Rust is bad this year for me and continuing to accelerate. Last year was my first experience with any notable rust, but it was short lived, relatively isolated, and occurred as expected when conditions were suitable. I didn't see any rust this year when it seemed conditions were more appropriate, say, last month when temperatures were more moderate and the lawn hadn't been fed in a couple months. But temperatures for a good while now have been considerably cooler, and the grass is well fed and growing speedily. Mowing causes billows of orange as I enter any areas of slight shade. Yes, I'm exacerbating the issue by continuing to mulch mow, but I've never known rust to persist in these conditions. During this last mow, I decided I should probably do something about it, but time will tell if that actually happens. Time and budget have kept me from applying biological prevention for the past several years, so I do always get an outbreak of red thread that the grass then outgrows. But this rust is new. The worst areas seem to be thinning out a bit, so I believe the rust may be reaching critical levels. At least red thread doesn't turn your shoes red.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody

Post by schreibdave » September 10th, 2019, 11:09 am

I noticed my shoes had an orange tint after walking in my backyard PR this week.

Green

Post by Green » September 10th, 2019, 10:45 pm

Yes. The rust just came overnight it seems. I was mowing yesterday, and clouds of orange everywhere. What a mess. I'm going to have to do a shot of quick release fertilizer at the end of the week to help it improve before it gets worse, and hold me over until the Milorganite, etc. I'll be applying soon kick in

agn015
Grass Type: Hogan Blend - GTO/Hemi/Hot Rod TTTF Everest/Award/Everglade/Midnight KBG

Post by agn015 » October 15th, 2019, 12:02 pm

I'm still battling my rust from last month. I almost had it fully under control with just one serenade app in mid September, but I neglected to spray a second serenade app and the rust roared back to life at the beginning of October. I put one more 2oz/k app down yesterday and plan to do weekly apps until I run out of serenade (probably 2 more). The one app yesterday seems to have helped a lot. I see a lot more green than orange in the turf now.

Green

Post by Green » October 15th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Still have it fairly bad (bad enough to make orange powder when mowing). I've put down almost 2 lbs of N since August, and can only do N for about another week here.

I'm unsure if I should still use the extender on the Serenade this time of year, as it might limit evapotranspiration which is already slow (and badly needed) this time of year in the shade.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » October 15th, 2019, 5:49 pm

I don't know -- haven't used it that way in Mid-Fall