New sod questions

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

New sod questions

Post by Pway » July 16th, 2019, 4:28 pm

I had some zoysia come up in my yard a couple years ago on the far side of my driveway and it spread quite a bit. I was going to nuke it and start over but decided to have a guy install sod. I’ve searched the internet quite a bit and it appears there are different views on how much to water. About 700 sq ft in the one area I don’t have irrigation, another 600 sq ft or so (Poa trivialis patches) is in an area or irrigation. It was installed this morning and I used a portable sprinkler on the 700 ft area for about an hour and then 30 minutes a few hours later. I haven’t used the portable in forever so not sure but I’m guessing it put out maybe .5 inches in an hour. I do need to check. The 700 foot area is full sun, other areas are partial. Any tips I should be aware of based on others experience. I never used sod, but have done pots. Thanks.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: New sod questions

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 16th, 2019, 9:49 pm

Did your sod installer give you any instructions of what you needed to do for the first month or so in order to have the sod installation be warranted by the installer?

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: New sod questions

Post by Pway » July 17th, 2019, 8:31 am

ken-n-nancy wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 9:49 pm
Did your sod installer give you any instructions of what you needed to do for the first month or so in order to have the sod installation be warranted by the installer?
He said to water it twice a day for 20 minutes or so for the first couple weeks then back off to once a day for a couple weeks. I did not ask about a warrant (my bad). The sod does seem a little stressed, maybe they cut it a day before? The internet seems to have opinions that vary quite a bit. The one area is full sun and with this heatwave I just wanted to get other folks experiences.