If you live in the northeast...

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

If you live in the northeast...

Post by turf_toes » July 17th, 2019, 4:29 pm

If you live in the northeast/mid Atlantic area, you might want to give your grass a break from mowing for a few days to a week.

The temperature in my area the next few days is supposedly going to reach 100 degrees in the next few days. The heat index (accounting for humidity l) might reach 110.

Your grass doesn’t need to be cut in these conditions. If you do cut the grass, it’s likely to turn brown.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: If you live in the northeast...

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 17th, 2019, 5:34 pm

The steamy hot & humid weather is forecast to arrive here in New Hampshire on Friday, but not until then. Thursday here in southern NH is forecast to have high temperatures around 65-72 on Thursday, with an onshore wind (blowing in off the Atlantic from the northeast) keeping it cool. So, if you're in northern New England, get your lawn chores done Thursday night before the heat hits on Friday!

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » July 17th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Cut my lawn in MA tonight; I am expecting some decent rain next 24 hrs, but doubt we are getting it. I am probably going to have to water Friday morning when I get home from work. Fingers crossed mother nature gives me an 1", but it's not looking good as they have now lowered the rainfall totals. I want one good watering before we hit the upper 90's.

Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Dargin » July 17th, 2019, 6:31 pm

I think Saturday morning I'll be adding a 1/2" to whatever today and tomorrow's rain brings. That's looking like the hottest day of the weekend here. Cut it yesterday so should be good.

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 17th, 2019, 8:46 pm

I mowed yesterday and despite the rain prediction I watered a full cycle this morning. We also got rain this evening and I applied Milo and compost last weekend so I’m in do nothing mode for a couple weeks anyways.

Right now I am mowing every 3rd day so lawn will get a bit Long waiting out the worst of the heat.

If I need to mow I’ll do it late evening before sunset.

For us, Saturday is going to be the scorch day.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by PSU4ME » July 17th, 2019, 9:12 pm

I mowed on Sunday, watered Monday and I’ll let the rain and heat come through this weekend before I think about touching it again....... got .5” already so anymore and I’m happy

This is me
Grass Type: Front-SS Sunny Mix. Back-SS KGB Mix
Level: Novice

Post by This is me » July 18th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Same here. I mowed last Sunday and will wait for the heat wave to come through.
The house is for sale though. :D

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » July 18th, 2019, 6:52 pm

I mowed the last few areas yesterday while it was 94 to prepare (but knew what I was getting into...there was rain expected after and the sun was in and out). Then, today was abnormally cool with a high of 76. Tomorrow, back to the low 90s. And then Saturday and Sunday near 100.

I can almost predict with certainty that there's bound to be some neighbor who mows this weekend, making their lawn go brown and get stressed.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » July 19th, 2019, 11:06 pm

As predicted, my next door neighbor mowed at about 2 inches this evening, and ran the sprinklers after. Let's see how brown it goes tomorrow...

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest

Post by PSU4ME » July 23rd, 2019, 7:12 am

Well Gents, this is a nice good soaking we are getting! Forecast is calling for another .5” and my gauge was already ready 2.25”. This should reward our already high cut grass and save a little on the water bill!

Smolenski7

Post by Smolenski7 » July 23rd, 2019, 4:54 pm

I was gone allweek. I missed the heat and came back to some really tall, but green, grass.

The heat really took a toll on some surrounding lawns though. The amount of crab grass in the 'hood increased by a factor of 10 since I was gone. Plus, the hell strip along my street is really starting to yellow, even with the rain. I'll cut tomorrow and bring life back to normal....I can't stand the height of my lawn right now. It's driving me crazy!

mikeyD

Post by mikeyD » July 23rd, 2019, 11:27 pm

Thanks turf toes. This post stopped me from mowing. Instead I syringed both Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Just enough to cool the surface. My rain gauge recorded a quick one inch deluge followed by a nice 1.5 inch soak. Thanks you for this site. I don’t post a lot but I read daily. My turf looks amazing. Best on the block. you should be proud. You created an amazing resource of information