Heads Up: Prepping for "Fall Nitrogen Regimens"

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Heads Up: Prepping for "Fall Nitrogen Regimens"

Post by andy10917 » July 18th, 2019, 9:22 am

We're deep into the Summer period now, and while you sit back a bit and sip that adult beverage on the deck or porch, you might want to brush up on the "Fall Nitrogen Regimens" reading and work. If you're relatively new to AroundTheYard, it's a good idea to at least read and consider the regimen during the most important time of the lawn year: Fall. Many members practice this regimen, and almost all of the feedback is positive.

Recommendation: Don't try to read the entire thread - it's 56 pages long. Each year I read the previous year's questions and answers, and try to consolidate the questions into the initial posting for the thread. Read the initial posting, and then use the Search Tool to see if something you don't understand has already been discussed and answered.

If You're New To The Site: Read the initial posting in the thread, and if it appeals to you, begin to locate sources for the primary items it uses - you will NOT find them at Big Box stores, so don't spend your time trying that. Try farm supply stores, or places where golf courses buy fertilizers. Now is the time to find them - not when you need to apply them the next day.

If You're On A Remediation Regimen: You'll need to choose between continuing the remediation plan and the Fall Nitrogen Regimens if you're using "balanced fertilizers" - you can't do both regimens.

If You've Done The Regimen Before: You know the drill, and if you have some time and space, getting and storing the materials is a good way to stay ahead of the curve.

The preliminary step to the Regimens is to apply a gentle wake-up application of something like Milorganite/OceanGro/Bay State/Soybean Meal as soon as the evenings begin to cool just a tad - that's often around the middle of August (four weeks away!) in the cooler states, and a little later as you move south toward the Transition Zone.

For your convenience, here is a link to the updated 2019 "Fall Fertilizer Regimens": Fall Nitrogen Regimens

Maizan24
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Re: Heads Up: Prepping for "Fall Nitrogen Regimens"

Post by Maizan24 » July 18th, 2019, 10:28 am

Thanks for the nudge Andy. Looking forward to seeing even more improvements during year 2.

EddieN26
Grass Type: Bewitched Front / Mixed KBG Back
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by EddieN26 » July 19th, 2019, 9:53 am

Thanks for the heads up! Can't wait to finally give it a whirl after a successful seeding last fall.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 19th, 2019, 10:55 am

I have so much nitrogen ready lol

agn015
Grass Type: Hogan Blend - GTO/Hemi/Hot Rod TTTF Everest/Award/Everglade/Midnight KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by agn015 » July 27th, 2019, 7:41 am

Thanks Andy. I just picked up a discounted bag of urea. They marked the price down to $10 since it had a small tear in it. I haven’t weighed it yet but it still feels awfully close to 50lbs

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 27th, 2019, 7:53 am

agn015 wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 7:41 am
Thanks Andy. I just picked up a discounted bag of urea. They marked the price down to $10 since it had a small tear in it. I haven’t weighed it yet but it still feels awfully close to 50lbs
Good find!