Oak tree in Yard

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
piscean
Grass Type: Tall fescue, K31 killed most of it
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Oak tree in Yard

Post by piscean » July 19th, 2019, 4:04 pm

We have an oak tree in the yard. I see the acorns germinating and forming small plants in the lawn. What are the options for me ? Mow frequently ? Spray chemical ?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Oak tree in Yard

Post by andy10917 » July 19th, 2019, 4:24 pm

Keep mowing them.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » July 19th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Search here for "tree seedlings". Begin reading.

Cole
Grass Type: KBG, Rye, Fescue blend
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Cole » July 22nd, 2019, 1:16 pm

I have the same issue and have been dealing with it all year. I mow at around 3.5 inches and it would cut the leaves off some, but most of them were still intact. I ended up getting sick of looking at them so my wife and I sat in the yard for a couple hours and hand pulled a bunch. Two weeks later another thousand shot up. I thought maybe that meant they were suckers from the roots, but they aren't since most have acorns attached to them. After that, it was just too many to hand pull and I worried that theyd come back if I didn't get the whole acorn. I ended up spraying them with Triclopyr. It is definitely killing them off, but there are still a lot. I think over the next week or two and another couple of mowings they should finally be almost gone. I'll hit them again with Triclopyr in about 3 days or so (10 days since first app) for those that still look healthy. If I knew what I was getting into earlier in the year when it was cooler I would've mowed low right away just to chop most of the leaves off and then raise the height back up. My neighbors mow low and don't seem to have the trouble with them.

What height are you cutting at and does that seem to be working for you so far?