My neighbor hates his grass (weeds)

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

My neighbor hates his grass (weeds)

Post by turf_toes » July 20th, 2019, 7:14 am

Today’s predicted to be the hottest day of the year. But my neighbor is out there at 7 a.m. scalping his lawn ( I pity his next door neighbor with young children trying to sleep). It’s the first time he has mowed in about a month. (it was nearly 10-inches Tall).

I really don’t understand why people like him just don’t own condos (where outside maintenance is handled by the condo association). He clearly doesn’t like maintaining his house (he still has a skeleton from Halloween in his front yard).

Lol

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: My neighbor hates his grass (weeds)

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 20th, 2019, 2:01 pm

I live in a neighborhood where about half the homes people do literally nothing to their yard and consider mowing a huge chore.

My next door neighbor has literally stated he hates doing yard work.

Like you, I don’t understand why they bought a house on 1.5 acres with at least 15k square feet of lawn.

And I’ve had several nasty comments about chemicals or I must be damaging the water table etc. It makes. No sense.

turf_toes wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 7:14 am
Today’s predicted to be the hottest day of the year. But my neighbor is out there at 7 a.m. scalping his lawn ( I pity his next door neighbor with young children trying to sleep). It’s the first time he has mowed in about a month. (it was nearly 10-inches Tall).

I really don’t understand why people like him just don’t own condos (where outside maintenance is handled by the condo association). He clearly doesn’t like maintaining his house (he still has a skeleton from Halloween in his front yard).

Lol

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » July 20th, 2019, 9:04 pm

I don't get it either. Some people hate grass.

The only thing more odd is that I saw fresh mower tracks in the lawn of a neighbor who is a lawn type and actually likes his grass. Maybe not quite like the people here, since he's more of a mowing/edging/watering/landscape bed guy/let someone else fertilize for you type. But still, his practices are pretty solid. Surprised he (or maybe his son who was over there today?) mowed today. And it's not too brown, either. He's got a perfect cross-striping mower track pattern going...

Jackpine
Grass Type: N.W. Mi. KBG blend
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by Jackpine » July 23rd, 2019, 5:01 am

I routinely apply pre-emergent control at least 10 feet in every direction from my lawn. One side gets mowed fairly regularly. The other? forget about it until the village gets after them. It takes them half the day to chop down the weeds when they do mow and it's not a large lawn. The two lawns across the alley behind me are about the same. Add in an old Ford Expedition that doesn't move anymore. Sigh

The good part? I am Poa free. lol