Bewitched monostand during high heat

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Bewitched monostand during high heat

Post by turf_toes » July 21st, 2019, 8:03 am

Here is the backyard Bewitched monostand in the middle of the heat wave (98 f yesterday, 99 f predicted for today)

I haven’t cut the lawn in a week. (So the grass is currently at about 6-inches Tall. I normally keep it at 4.25-inches.)

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Bewitched monostand during high heat

Post by Pway » July 21st, 2019, 8:24 am

Wow, just beautiful! How much have you watered it this July?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » July 21st, 2019, 8:43 am

I’ve adjusted my watering to three times per week for shorter periods of time. I’ll go back to weekly watering once the heat breaks next week.

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by Pway » July 21st, 2019, 8:59 am

turf_toes wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 8:43 am
I’ve adjusted my watering to three times per week for shorter periods of time. I’ll go back to weekly watering once the heat breaks next week.
Thanks TT.Obviously working well!

JHazzardB
Grass Type: Front Yard: KBG blend. Back Bewitched/Nuglade
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by JHazzardB » July 21st, 2019, 10:34 am

Absolutely awesome!

Paul
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG Monostand
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by Paul » July 22nd, 2019, 1:07 pm

Bewitched is amazing as far as I'm concerned, very drought tolerant and can take the heat. I'm still mowing twice a week. My Brother has a Bewitched Mono-stand and has yet to water this year and looks excellent. He has had weekly thunderstorms with at least an inch of rain each week.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 22nd, 2019, 1:58 pm

Hmm. I've been wondering what to do with the grass on our cemetery plot (in Bedford, NH) and have been thinking about transplanting in plugs of Bewitched. I wonder if the Bewitched would survive a very low maintenance situation (just weekly mowing, no fert) for an extended duration (decades). I think the location gets morning to mid-day sun (sunrise to say 2pm) but is shaded in the afternoon. Natural rainfall only.

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » July 22nd, 2019, 2:16 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 1:58 pm
Hmm. I've been wondering what to do with the grass on our cemetery plot (in Bedford, NH) and have been thinking about transplanting in plugs of Bewitched. I wonder if the Bewitched would survive a very low maintenance situation (just weekly mowing, no fert) for an extended duration (decades). I think the location gets morning to mid-day sun (sunrise to say 2pm) but is shaded in the afternoon. Natural rainfall only.
I would doubt it. It’s basically entropy applied to lawncare. Lawns that are not maintained tend toward disorder (weeds).

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 22nd, 2019, 3:21 pm

Yeah that's great, tt.

Imo, bewitched does better than other kbg cultivars in shade, but that doesnt mean it loves and thrives in shade.

southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG

Post by southern-ct-4 » July 29th, 2019, 9:33 am

turf_toes wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 8:03 am
Here is the backyard Bewitched monostand in the middle of the heat wave (98 f yesterday, 99 f predicted for today)

I haven’t cut the lawn in a week. (So the grass is currently at about 6-inches Tall. I normally keep it at 4.25-inches.)

That's awesome! how much sun/shade does your backyard get?

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » July 30th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Bewitched and some other newer (and perhaps some older as well) KBG cultivars seem to be better at water use allocation. What I mean by this, is instead of going from vigorous growth to wilt over a 48-hour period or less, they seem better at slowing down the growth and showing less drought stress than most KBG. Definitely an advantage for as far as drought tolerance. If I compare my Bewitched to older cultivars, the difference in drought tolerance is clear.

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » July 31st, 2019, 8:06 am

southern-ct-4 wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 9:33 am
turf_toes wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 8:03 am

That's awesome! how much sun/shade does your backyard get?
It’s getting about five hours of sunlight during the peak of summer. (Less in fall, winter and spring)

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » July 31st, 2019, 9:47 am

With temperatures predicted to be in the mid-80's for the next 10 days, I did the mowing back from a shaggy 5"+ to 4" on my front lawn and the grass made it through the heat with full color, density and is healthy. I'm happy. Next step is down to 3.5" in mid-August to accommodate the wake-up application of Milorganite and the return to growth.

dan10
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG

Post by dan10 » August 5th, 2019, 6:51 pm

Nice lawn ! Did you use any fungicides this summer ?

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » August 5th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Nah. I have some in the garage. But keeping it properly fed seems to be the solution for me. I’m finding that an underfed lawn leads to stress that can lead to fungal problems.

Underfeeding is as big a problem as over feeding. But it’s a fine line and figuring out where it exists is the challenge.

dan10
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG

Post by dan10 » August 12th, 2019, 8:37 am

turf_toes wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 7:06 pm
Nah. I have some in the garage. But keeping it properly fed seems to be the solution for me. I’m finding that an underfed lawn leads to stress that can lead to fungal problems.

Underfeeding is as big a problem as over feeding. But it’s a fine line and figuring out where it exists is the challenge.
Your lawn must be a 10 now with the recent cooler weather and the soaking rain storm last week. Are you using granular or liquid fertilizer during summer ?

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » August 12th, 2019, 3:38 pm

dan10 wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 8:37 am
turf_toes wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Your lawn must be a 10 now with the recent cooler weather and the soaking rain storm last week. Are you using granular or liquid fertilizer during summer ?
Oceangro.