Planning for Fall

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Post Reply
deboy922
Posts: 46
Joined: June 18th, 2019, 8:42 am
Location: Lafayette, IN
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Planning for Fall

Post by deboy922 » July 24th, 2019, 4:10 pm

I am doing some planning for fall lawn care. I have about 75,000 sq ft of lawn. Here is the link to my soil test interpretation: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25161

My fall plan if budget allows:
- 2 lbs/K of phosphorous in 289 lbs of 11-52-0 MAP
- 2 lbs/K of nitrogen in 258 lbs of 46-0-0 urea in addition to the nitrogen in MAP
- 3 tablespoons/K of Mule Team Borax
- Spray for weeds (researching weed killers) once grass is green and growing well
- Looking for source/price/amount for gypsum

- Fertilizer will be split up and put down every week or two, once the grass greens up (~9/1) until ~10/22 (avg. 1st frost)...and before a predicted rain.
- I will also gradually reduce HOC from 4.0" to 2.5" and mow all the leaves.

Please share any thoughts/opinions/advice/questions. Thank you.

deboy922
Posts: 46
Joined: June 18th, 2019, 8:42 am
Location: Lafayette, IN
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Planning for Fall

Post by deboy922 » August 20th, 2019, 12:22 pm

I mowed on 7/15...lawn went dormant (hot & dry)...and I did not mow again until 8/13. I may need to mow next on 8/24 and will stay at 4.0". I will probably start moving down HOC after Labor Day.

I am thinking about putting down 2 lb/K of 11-52-0 MAP on Labor Day weekend. After waiting about 2 weeks (9/15), apply 1 lb/K urea and spray Trimec herbicide. I will probably make a 2nd Trimec application 2-3 weeks after 1st application.

This is just preliminary planning...rain, heat, and how the grass looks could delay the plan.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

User avatar
HoosierLawnGnome
Posts: 9518
Joined: May 22nd, 2013, 5:59 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Planning for Fall

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 20th, 2019, 9:10 pm

You can go heavier, sooner on the N then that once your turf is not dormant. The rain this week has revived my turf where inhad some dormant spots. Growth kicking in where I live southeast of Indy.

I'd get the MAP out now, and starting labor day, drop 1 lb per K of urea a week if you can until early Oct when first frost hits in Lafayette. Pump it. But make sure it's going to get watered in. The rain this week is great.

When you spray the trimec, mix in a little urea or ammonium sulfate for better results.

User avatar
HoosierLawnGnome
Posts: 9518
Joined: May 22nd, 2013, 5:59 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Planning for Fall

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 20th, 2019, 10:00 pm

One more thing, just because you stop pushing N at first frost doesn't mean you cant get post emergent herbicides down then. Great timing. Where I live the turf grows vigorously up to November and tapers off from there. Not like you have to be done in September.

deboy922
Posts: 46
Joined: June 18th, 2019, 8:42 am
Location: Lafayette, IN
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Planning for Fall

Post by deboy922 » August 21st, 2019, 9:33 am

Thank you for the replies @HoosierLawnGnome. Yes, the rain this week is a blessing. We have had right at 2.0" since 6/20...with about 1.0" coming in the last 2 weeks. Turf is woozy, while the crabgrass & dandelions sprung to life.

In regards to mixing urea with the Trimec, how much urea do you use? I will be using a 15 gallon pull-behind sprayer.

Thanks again!


User avatar
HoosierLawnGnome
Posts: 9518
Joined: May 22nd, 2013, 5:59 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Planning for Fall

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 22nd, 2019, 12:20 pm

Just a few cups will be fine. It should dissolve easily.

deboy922
Posts: 46
Joined: June 18th, 2019, 8:42 am
Location: Lafayette, IN
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Planning for Fall

Post by deboy922 » August 22nd, 2019, 3:34 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 12:20 pm
Just a few cups will be fine. It should dissolve easily.
Thanks!

deboy922
Posts: 46
Joined: June 18th, 2019, 8:42 am
Location: Lafayette, IN
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Planning for Fall

Post by deboy922 » August 26th, 2019, 10:51 am

MAP went down yesterday at 2#/K and planning another 2#/K around 9/25. I will start on the urea soon...probably will not get 1#/K per week as I will need to apply before predicted rainfall as I do not have irrigation.

Any advice on when to spray Trimec? I was leaning towards 9/15 and again on 10/1. But the weeds seem to be growing really well now, so I am having some thoughts of spraying now so that the fertilizer goes more to the grass instead of the weeds. But I think I would get a better kill by waiting until later fall. What would be the best target dates for me to get 2 applications of Trimec? Thanks.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests