Why is my grass dying...third year in a row.

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
daimbert
Grass Type: Hogan Blend TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Why is my grass dying...third year in a row.

Post by daimbert » July 27th, 2019, 4:51 pm

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if you can all help me figure out why my lawn, specifically the front lawn, tends to dry out and die. I think I am doing everything correctly (I.e. watering every 3 days for one inch, stopped last fert application in June, mow height is high at 4”, always bag). For the last three years I always reseed because the front just dies. It always starts the same to. The dries areas begin in certain areas then spread. This year, when I first started I suspected a fungus since I saw black dots on the leaves so I applied a fungicide. Although the same thing is happening at the back, it’s no where as wide spread. The only thing I can think of is that the front gets a ton of sun all day from dawn to dust while the back changes throughout the day.

Any clues? I currently have a TTTF Hogan Blend. I am getting a little frustrated having to over seed every year. Any recommendation for the community. If I reseed, should I do so earlier than September since I’m off? Should I try a different seed blend?

Thanks for the help.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: Why is my grass dying...third year in a row.

Post by turf_toes » July 27th, 2019, 5:18 pm

It’s hard to say. You could have buried rubble or rocks just beneath the soil surface. Add hot summertime sun and that’s a recipe for stress.

How is the soil there? Can you drive a screw driver deep into the soil?

It could be a fungal issue. Years ago, before I switched to KBG, I had Tall Fescue and Rye lawns that looked great every spring, but would brown up and die in the summer.

Have you taken a grass sample to your local AG cooperative extension? They’ll be able to help ID if it is fungal. Without seeing it, but knowing you grow Tall Fescue, I’d suspect Brown Patch. It’s pretty common in some Tall Fescue lawns.

My experience is that KBG has fewer problems with lawn pathogens. I’m not saying it has none. But at my old house, just switching to KBG took me from a crappy summer lawn to having the best summer lawn in the neighborhood.

daimbert
Grass Type: Hogan Blend TTTF

Post by daimbert » July 27th, 2019, 5:47 pm

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 27th, 2019, 8:15 pm

I'm with TT that it could be a combination of heat and drought stress on TTTF. However, usually TTTF does pretty well against heat. It does need sufficient water, though. I second TT's thought of checking for soil depth and quality -- is the soil full of rocks or gravel? How deep is the topsoil?

Have you measured your watering with tuna cans or something similar?

Another completely different question is if you have checked for grub damage?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » July 28th, 2019, 8:23 am

I went back and found your last soil test, and it doesn't indicate anything horrible - you've got a slightly sandy soil but it shouldn't cause loss of the TTTF.

How are you determining that you're putting down 1" of water when you irrigate?

Smolenski7
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Smolenski7 » July 28th, 2019, 8:39 am

It's hard to say, however, that patch of lawn is completely surrounded by hard reflective surfaces that transmit a lot of heat. It's like the entire area is a Hell Strip. My guess is that your soil temp is so high its "burning" the grass from underneath and on top. My first step would be buy a soil probe and take the temp. of the soil at different times of day, but especially during the late afternoon. If the temperature is in the mid-80's or higher, that could be the problem.

Report back and let us know the results. Good luck.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by PSU4ME » July 28th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Does the grass have a dull green, black looking color to it around the edges of where the dead stuff is happening? Summer after summer makes me think summer psych.

I think it might be a good idea to send an edge sample into your local co-op

icecoldbeer
Grass Type: Kbg, northern mix

Post by icecoldbeer » July 29th, 2019, 11:30 am

I had a similar problem with the two hottest parts of my yard(middle of front yard and backyard around my pool) for years and it looked very similar to your photos. I always chalked it up to heat stress and subpar irrigation(I'm on a well and can't run as long as I want to). However, I did some research last year and read up on chinch bugs. Appranetly they love the hottest/dryest parts of your yard and do major damage. They completely destroyed large sections of my yard last year and had to do a major overseed. However, the good news, is this year my lawn is the greenest it's ever been even with really high heat this summer. I used Bayer 24 hour grub killer last summer before my overseed and put down grubex this spring that also does a good job controlling chinch bugs.

I would do a tin can chinch bug test where the green grass meets the dead grass. Stuff the hollow can into the ground and pour water into it until the water puddles at the surface. If you see black chinch bugs floating than that is a problem that needs to be addressed.