Light green grass popping up everywhere :(

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Light green grass popping up everywhere :(

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 10th, 2019, 9:26 am

Thanks so much for the follow-ups. Yes, the same/similar samples in the dropbox is what I sent to UConn.

I'll go ahead and send a sample to the ag station.

I just watched the youtube video and will go check the grass again looking for ligules. I'll post better pics if I'm not sure what I'm looking at/can't tell what it is.

Thanks again!

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 11th, 2019, 9:31 am

So I tried to look at the ligules, and took some more, maybe better, pics (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d8qv02x70sam ... -UDLa?dl=0) and I don't think I'm seeing what I'm supposed to be seeing (if it were triv). I'm not seeing any ligule, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. If you zoom in I think you'll agree that there is no ligule, and certainly nothing like the below (which would indicate triv).

I sent samples to the ag station so we'll see what they say as well.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » August 13th, 2019, 12:56 am

I don't know about no ligule...but it's definitely short if it's there. KBG is supposed to have a short one, so chances are good that's what the grass is after seeing these photos.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 13th, 2019, 8:47 am

Wow, thanks. Fingers crossed that it darkens and starts to grow normal (not super fast) at some point. I'm hoping that maybe I just did some really uneven apps of fert at some point and those spots were hit too hard and are growing faster...??

As I mentioned above, I mailed a sample to ct ag station and it hit their po box yesterday, but nobody has picked it up yet. Hopefully today, as I'm really curious what they say.

Green

Post by Green » August 13th, 2019, 5:26 pm

I have the same issue right now, and it's unnerving. Having used sod quality and 0/0 seed mixed, there is no way a large percentage of the replacement grass I planted could be Triv...but I still wonder if it could be. But my existing KBG is going yellow as well in some areas, so I think maybe it's the weather.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 16th, 2019, 11:29 am

CT ag station thinks it's a red fescue. Unfortunately the sample I sent had no tip (it was mowed), but she was able to work off of the sheath, blades, ligule, etc...

Green

Post by Green » August 17th, 2019, 12:28 pm

southern-ct-4 wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 11:29 am
CT ag station thinks it's a red fescue. Unfortunately the sample I sent had no tip (it was mowed), but she was able to work off of the sheath, blades, ligule, etc...
Hmmm. Does it have the prominent veins? Red Fescue and other Fine Fescues have veins, just like Tall Fescue and Ryegrass do, and they actually tend to look similar to Tall Fescue in many cases...but it's a much, much narrower blade, and often is needled up like grass does in drought stress (but I think that's just something it does most of the time).

If it's what you recently took photos of, I'm not convinced...I see a Bluegrass in those. Where is the scientist I spoke with? Looks like you got someone else.

Green

Post by Green » August 18th, 2019, 4:20 pm

I'm now seeing what I believe is still Triv, but with a very short ligule, in my yard. I don't believe it's Fine Fescue. It's tucked down under the taller grass, since I'm mowing high. There are lots of biotypes (like cultivars) of Triv that probably naturally occur. There are also turf types. It's a big market for Southern overseeding. And I bet some of those find their way into KBG seed bags. Maybe that's what we're seeing. Mine is all shriveled but still green, hiding under the good grass...good reason to reduce the mowing height soon here.

Sorry I can't be more definitive...I'm learning, myself as I find more and more types of Triv. Unfortunately this one seems more heat tolerant than some others. 6 straight weeks of 90 did not kill it, even with herbicides.

It's amazing how different they all look. But all have that semi-boat-shaped tip, slightly more pointed than KBG. And all "string" when stretched.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 18th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Thanks for the continued info, even if it's bad news (for you and me both)...

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG

Post by KBGkicksazz » August 24th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Are you heavy feeding? Pushing a lot of growth can make grass to be more lime green than dark green.
southern-ct-4 wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 8:47 am
Wow, thanks. Fingers crossed that it darkens and starts to grow normal (not super fast) at some point. I'm hoping that maybe I just did some really uneven apps of fert at some point and those spots were hit too hard and are growing faster...??

As I mentioned above, I mailed a sample to ct ag station and it hit their po box yesterday, but nobody has picked it up yet. Hopefully today, as I'm really curious what they say.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 26th, 2019, 9:51 am

KBGkicksazz wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 3:44 pm
Are you heavy feeding? Pushing a lot of growth can make grass to be more lime green than dark green.
No heavy feeding (I don't think). I did a half bag rate of Milo on 7/30, and 1/2 bag rate on 8/12. July 6 was a full bag rate dose of Milo (with Borax).