Problem Identification

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
JHazzardB
Grass Type: Front Yard: KBG blend. Back Bewitched/Nuglade
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Problem Identification

Post by JHazzardB » July 31st, 2019, 3:42 pm

I have this spot in my yard. You know the spot...the one that just doesn't like growing as much as the grass next to it. I can't quite figure it out. It's mainly the area with the blue arrow pointing at it (or just above). But a lot of the front curb area is splotched. Here are my observations...

Light: Area gets pretty much full sun. It might get a little shade in the morning and gets shade from an oak tree (I took the pic from almost underneath it) starting at about 4:30pm on. I don't like the idea of sunlight being an issue because it doesn't look uniform. The corner of my yard, top right, is thick and lush and gets all the same sun.

Water: First suspect and why I included the sprinkler rotations in the pic. I will say that the top right (90*) sprinkler wasn't quite reaching the Blue Arrow Splotch early in June. So I switched out the top right sprinkler nozzle to throw farther and also the bottom right sprinkler (180*) nozzle to throw more GPM. Both sprinklers thoroughly overlap this Splotch as well as some water from the other two sprinkler heads on the left side.

Fungus: I'm not good at weekly schedules. Horrible, in fact. This area has received 3 applications of Serenade early in the spring. Then I noticed the splotchiness and didn't really attack it and just waited to see if it was a water issue. Then I didn't like that and hit it with Heritage (just in this area). The area seems to be about 7 feet around and kinda circular. I haven't noticed the area get any larger. But I also haven't seen it recover (as if it could show signs in my July/August heat).

Soil: I haven't had my soil tested since 2013. I don't recall anything that Andy thought was too serious though and made my amendments. I'd like to push this idea to the back of my head because its not a uniform answer. I also don't think anything is buried underneath the yard as I really haven't had too much of a problem in this area before. But any who, I'm attaching my 'latest' soil results and it would be labeled Front West.

Pests: Maybe. I have some rabbits that are cute and hopping around but they don't go down by the curb. I don't think they're causing this. Grubs or others bugs, possibly. Although I have put a few apps of Grub Stuff and Pest stuff down a few times so far this year.

Conclusion: My thought is a fungal issue. I'll try to get some closer up pictures later this evening. I'd like to believe Heritage stopped the problem, but it's too hot to see any recovery as the grass probably went dormant. Any thoughts from anyone else has is much appreciated. I'm 80% sure my grass will recover just fine in another 45 days so I'm not too worried.