Questions about buying seed

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Aviator8
Grass Type: Tall and Fine Fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Questions about buying seed

Post by Aviator8 » August 2nd, 2019, 1:34 pm

Hi, I did a renovation last year. I used a few mixes, but I am going to overseed soon and plant a new section of yard. I have gone through the NETP data and found a few cultivars that should work well for me. I want to buy the highest quality seed I can preferable gold tag so I expect to pay a premium. I am in the southeast so I am looking at some of these:

Crossfire 4
Titanium 2LS
GTO
Valkyrie for the shadier areas

This is probably like asking how much should I pay for a car, But I'll ask anyway to see if anyone knows some ballpark. What is a good price/lb to pat for premium tall fescues?

Also I am not finding too many suppliers to buy form online. I went through bestlawns list but it is veru old and many sites are no longer there. Is there a goto people are using these days?

If anyone knows good sources around Atlanta I could pickup and avoid these really high shipping costs.

Is there a time of year where some of this goes on sale pretty regularly I can look for?

Last thing, If anyone is in the North Georgia area and has good success with a fescue variety I am not considering I am all ears.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Re: Questions about buying seed

Post by Marinegrunt » August 4th, 2019, 1:23 pm

To be honest if you're just over seeding I would look into The Hogan Blend unless you're dead set on matching the previous blend you used. The Hogan Blend uses some of the best tttf cultivars. When I purchased a few years back they used Firewall, Cochise IV, Bullseye, LS 1200, and Houndog 8.

I can't remember the exact price but I think a 50 lb bag was around $170 shipped. You can get 25 lb bags too. The Hogan Seed company is in TN.

I've got some pictures on here somewhere of my renovation when it's 1.5 to 2 years old. I'll try and dig it up so you can see what the grass looks like.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » August 4th, 2019, 1:41 pm

This was the end of September 2018. My reno was actually the fall of 2017 so it was a year old here. I somehow lost a year. Time sure does fly.

I'm happy with how The Hogan Blend turned out. If I were to ever use TTTF again I wouldn't hesitate using it.

Aviator8

Post by Aviator8 » August 4th, 2019, 7:08 pm

Thank you for the replies. I am not set on matching what I have as it was a mix of stuff from big box store. The heat kind of decimated it this year. I looked at Hoagn's but they don't list much online. I guess I'll give them a call and see what they recommend for my area.

Aviator8

Post by Aviator8 » August 5th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Looks great! I called Hogans and they were most helpful in how to approach my yard and what seed to use. They were also about 25% cheaper than the Super Seed Store to boot.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » August 5th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Yeah, they don't have a lot of info on their website but, as you mentioned, they are extremely helpful by phone. They definitely know what to recommend for different areas of the country.

If you don't mind can you post the cultivators they're currently using if you end up ordering from them? I need to get a little for some spot seeding and just curious.

One thing I forgot to mention was that Hogan's doesn't certify their seed as "gold tag" but I think it's only because they blend it themselves and would greatly increase the cost to us. They do guarantee there are no weed or noxious weed seed. You probably asked them about it though. I sure didn't have any weed seed in mine.

Aviator8

Post by Aviator8 » August 5th, 2019, 9:32 pm

I got some TTF and some deep shade mix for some areas that just cant do TTF. I did not ask the specific varieties in the shade mix, it is a mix of hard fescue, red fescue, chewings, and sheep fescue. For the TTF I did request some specific varieties that tested well in my area, particularly Titanium 2LS and GTO. He did not have Titanium and was explaining that he personally chooses all their varieties and needed to ensure 0 weed since he mostly supplies sod places. Since that particular seed producer did not let him do that he does not carry it, The mix I got was a 4 way GTO, Hotrod, Turbo, and Firebird 2. GTO and Firebird 2 were in the top of the list for my area. Hotrod was much further down, and Turbo was not in the NTEP for the Southeast unless I am missing it. I believe he has some other mixes on hand but this was the one he recommended for my area. I should have the seed in two days

Runnin Tony
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: < 1000

Post by Runnin Tony » October 1st, 2019, 4:10 pm

Adding on here - Just purchased the Hogan Blend. They also sell in 5 pound bags for smaller yards if needed. I needed 10 pounds, very helpful and quick to respond via phone