Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Negan247
Grass Type: sunny Mix: KBG, Fescu, Rye Grass
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Sulfate Of Potash in North East

Post by Negan247 » August 2nd, 2019, 1:35 pm

Hi all,

Looking to find a 50lb bag of SOP in the North East. I'll be traveling to Maine this weekend taking 95 from Boston and in two weeks i'll be traveling to Vermont up to Stowe taking 93/89. Anyone know of a place to get sulfate of potash on the way: MA, NH, ME or VT?

I've called several places and had no luck at 3 SiteOne's, Agway and a couple of feed stores with no luck.

Any thoughts or ideas would be great! Thanks!

-Negan247

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Sulfate Of Potash in North East

Post by andy10917 » August 2nd, 2019, 1:50 pm

This sounds like a mission for Ken-n-Nancy. I know they've had luck previously with Achilles Agway in Milford, NH - but I don't know it that's recent data.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 2nd, 2019, 2:11 pm

Negan247, I don't know how far up into Maine you're going, but SOP gets easier to find way, way up north in Maine in "The County" as potatoes are one of the crops that really demands sulfate of potash (0-0-50, aka potassium sulfate) instead of the cheaper, more common muriate of potash (0-0-60, aka potassium chloride). If you get up into potato country, SOP shouldn't be hard to find, but that's a long way to go -- when most people from MA talk about going to Maine they don't go any further north than Portland...

Andy is correct that I've been getting my Sulfate of Potash at Achille Agway in Milford, NH for the last half-dozen years or so. I haven't bought any since last year, though, and ironically am about to apply more on my lawn this afternoon, which will break into my last bag. Since I'm going to be needing some soon, I just called Achille Agway in Milford, NH and confirmed that they have at least a half pallet in stock. $35.99 for a 50-pound bag. I have no idea if other Achille Agway locations in Southern NH carry it -- I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the Milford store, as I've requested for their manager to get it for me and he's been keeping it in stock since then. Sounds like others from this forum have ended up getting it there, too. I have no connection with the store other than being a satisfied customer. https://achilleagway.com/locations/59/a ... of-milford

By the way, if calling places to see if they have it, I've learned that it's often easiest to also mention that it is 0-0-50 fertilizer. If they have 0-0-50, it will be sulfate of potash. If they instead have 0-0-60, that's muriate of potash -- not the same stuff.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » August 2nd, 2019, 3:22 pm

Valley Green in Wilmington, MA. A different location may be on your way.

See also.

Negan247
Grass Type: sunny Mix: KBG, Fescu, Rye Grass
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by Negan247 » August 2nd, 2019, 9:50 pm

Thanks Ken-n-nancy and TimmyG! I really appreciate your help and advice! Have a great weekend.

southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 7th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Valley Green Plainville should have it as well:

http://valleygreenusa.com/locations/plainville-ct/